snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Burning issues of our times (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burning issues of our times
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 37 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Why do people say "Marco" and get a reply of "Polo"? I just don't get it!!!

Must be from another envious Portuguese explorer.
When on holiday in Spain the girls in the hotel I nicknamed me Marco Polo my Spanish was not good enough to ever find out why, I can only presume the bloke was noted for being short fat and ugly.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i was asked recently: which came first, crunchy or puffy cheetos?
i tried to find an answer but to no avail.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know which came first, but orange fingers came immediately afterwards.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 606 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Why is there tons of Ozzy & Randy Rhoads pictures but only one
pro-shot video concert and 3 audience videos that are out. And also to
add to this they played on a 100,000$ stage set night after night.
It's a good mystery

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what's also a good mystery? Where your brain is. [fish]

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Why do people say "Marco" and get a reply of "Polo"? I just don't get it!!!
Don't worry - Adrian Monk didn't get it either when he played it. And he's a great detective!

Trish "Your parents are bumming The Monk out, man! That whole generation's bumming me out!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard from a co-worker that at a construction site in some
city's downtown area, venting was being put on the roof of a skyscraper
(or a high-rise, something like that). And somebody who was on a lunch
break (I think they were sitting on the side of the roof) had a can of
Coke and they were called by their supervisor. Their elbow slipped and
they knocked the can off the roof and the can exploded on impact. The
police were called 8 times downtown because of people saying that they
heard a bomb go off. The police arrived and found the can spread
everywhere. A witness said "I was down the street and I saw a cloud of
dust and I heard a loud noise. I thought that this was a terrorist plot."
I don't know if this is true or not but finding out would be greatly
appreciated.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Are 35mm film canisters really toxic? Are they food safe? I saw
a tip on a website stating that they could be used for packaging
individual servings of baby formula, but I heard before that they leach
chemicals.

Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are 35mm film canisters really toxic?
Eat a couple of dozen, wait a day or two, and see if you die. Let us know the results.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 210 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is Laila Ali Dating Queen Latifah
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i have a question :

What aer wicks made out of?

Senior

Aer wicks are made out of phlogiston.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Pink Floyd: where are they now?
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Pink Floyd: where are they now?
Maybe you've heard of Live8, my friend? Little heard of concert, they did a gig all together for it? What kind of Floyd fan are you?

Shame there wasn't a site..you know, where you could type the words "Pink Floyd", and it could show you sites for the band...maybe one that lists current Floyd news...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: During my nephew's recent wedding, my granddaughter's tooth fell
out and I was wondering if that had a special meaning or a folklore or
something. A search on Google lead me to you. Thanks for any help you can
offer.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
During my nephew's recent wedding, my granddaughter's tooth fell
out and I was wondering if that had a special meaning

Yes -- if your granddaughter is a child, it means she's getting her permanent teeth in; if she's an adult, it means she has lousy dental hygiene (or scurvy).

- snopes

Senior

Either that, or somebody hit her hard in the mouth.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: ripped my uniform pants a week ago, will this interfere with sabre team practice?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: hi, i was wondering why the phrase "cheese" is yelled when a
photo is taken. i heard someone say that is because you cannot say the
word withouth having to smile. i know this is not true and am wondering
whats the deal with that

Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: hi, i was wondering why the phrase "cheese" is yelled when a photo is taken.

Because yelling "wild orgy" or "infected genitalia" would be inappropriate in front of children. Duh.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: IS DENZEL REALLY SEPARATED FROM HIS WIFE AND ARE THEY GOING TO DIVORCE?
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I once heard that a Japanese lady licked the toilet of the hotel
room where David Beckham had stayed. Is this true? I hope not.

No, no. This totally incorrect. I wish you people would get your facts straight.

She was Chinese, and it was Victoria Beckham the singer. Hope that makes it ok.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I received a "did you know" email about men and women involving
sexual statistics, etc. Is it true that 60% of women in the US have
breast implants? I really really want to know!

Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in Los Angeles, and now Dallas, 60% seems like a conservative estimate.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard from various sources that the Bratz Babyz doll Yasmin
wears thong underwear. Is this true, or is it just mesh to hold up the
skirt, as some people have said?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: ok, i live in new carlisle ohio and there are rumors about
mysterious/supernatural things happening on a road called Staley where
supposedly some people were killed and i myself have checked this location
with some friends and have heard a really low pitched sining like somthing
you would hear from slaves, like a song they sing while working or
somthing like that, now i am not one to believe in things like this but i
was wondering if you guys could look into it and let me know what you can
come up with the location of all this is on staley road, new carlisle
ohio, at an old red barn, across from an old mansion

robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I've heard from various sources that the Bratz Babyz doll Yasmin
wears thong underwear. Is this true, or is it just mesh to hold up the
skirt, as some people have said?

I think that was "Gangsta' Bitch Barbie" you're thinking of. Nice dolls don't wear thongs.

Robbiev -now, if I could just find one of those life sized Barbies- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

quote:
ok, i live in new carlisle ohio

You have our sympathy.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebenezer Senior:
quote:

You have our sympathy.
Especially since they outlaw capital letters

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And periods.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Who said that Santa's reindeer had to have antlers?
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NFYBSK Warning!
NFYBSK Warning!
NFYBSK Warning!
NFYBSK Warning!
NFYBSK Warning!

I'm assuming this is in regards to the email that says that only female reindeer have antlers in winter and so Santa's reindeer must be female then. I have two comments about this:

1) Normal reindeer don't fly, so is it such a stretch to think that Santa's special breed also keep their antlers?

2) As Santa is mythology, there is no authority as to what he does or doesn't do or looks like. Therefore, the common depictions and general sociatal pictures are what he is. Since every depiction of Santa's reindeer I've seen show antlers, then his reindeer have antlers.

PS. The NFYBSK Warning! was so I didn't get lambasted for ruining young children's Santa fun like the teacher. Since older BSK and adults know that Santa is real, they wouldn't be affected by me calling him a myth.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
quote:
Originally posted by Ebenezer Senior:
quote:

You have our sympathy.
Especially since they outlaw capital letters
Apparently "a road called Staley" got to keep his.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just saw on a TV show called "Brainiacs" airing on G4TV that
humans can walk on custard, because if you apply pressure to custard it
acts like a solid.

Senior

Which type of custard can humans walk on? Egg custard, caramel custard, milk custard, or one of those nasty soya milk custards?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages