snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Burning issues of our times (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burning issues of our times
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 603 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that Bill Gates has bought an island off the Amalfi
Coast, Italy, that used to belong to Rudolph Nureyev? Also how can I find
out if he was in Amalfi on June 9th, 2005, as I am sure I saw him there.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't resist researching it. The island in question is Isola Galli. It's one of three islands, called Li Galli; info varies as to whether Nureyev owned all 3 or just 1.,

Bill Gates is reported to have bought a hotel in Amalfi
quote:
Despite this, the view as you round the Capo di Conca of the bay of Amalfi is worth a hike of any distance. On your right is the old Hotel Cappuccini Convento, a cliffside convent reborn as swank lodgings and reportedly recently purchased by Bill Gates.
The hotel is reported to be "closed for renovation," so maybe someone did buy it recently.

I did not bother to call Mr. Gate's social secretary; I'll leave that to snopes' correspondent

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Couldn't resist researching it. The island in question is Isola Galli.

I wish you hadn't posted that site - now I want an island!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Okay, so Hank's friend said that at a theme park he cut his hat
in two and inside were ants! Is this possible?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Hank's friend named Dale?

-

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. And ole Dale said, "I been bugged! It's all part of the conspiracy."

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is Fresca the only coke product without a reasonable pepsi
equivalent?

ALL PRAISE FRESCA!!

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew how many brands Coke owns.

Pepsi owns fewer brands.

(The Pepsi equivalent of Fresca is Miranda Grapefruit.)

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: are spiders scared of conkers?! and if so, why? i have
heard lots of people say pyut conkers in your house and spiders will steer
clear of them. Just wondering as i am taking this as fact and can not find
any evidence to support this!

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
according to wikipedia:

quote:
Conker is the name used in Britain, Ireland and some former British colonies for the nuts of the Horse-chestnut tree Aesculus hippocastanum...[snip]...They are poisonous if eaten, containing the alkaloid saponin, though deer and some other mammals are immune and can eat them.
Although why a spider would eat a frigging Horse-chestnut (and die from it), I dunno...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they're pretty big - the spider would choke to death...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Although why a spider would eat a frigging Horse-chestnut (and die from it), I dunno...
But the person who asked the question didn't claim spiders would eat (or die from) conkers; he only said that spiders were "afraid" of conkers for some reason and would avoid going near them.

- snopes

TrishDaDish

Icon 607 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm presuming they think spiders will use their "spidey sense", noticing the alkoloid from the conkers (Walking on it? Tasting it on their feet when they walk on them? I dunno, I ain't a spider) and then avoid them. Maybe it gives off a scent that spiders can smell or whatever spiders do. Since they (the OP) seem to know it's got killing properties to some animals - even though the article says mammals - perhaps they thought it might do some kind of damages to insects as well, and spiders have learned to avoid them. Again, what do I know, I'm not a spider.

I were being a sillyhead on spiders eatin' a Conker, Snopes! And for that, I will fish you! (And await your wrath! [Wink] )

[fish]

Trish "At least I googled up the word 'Conker'!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What is the name of the major league baseball player who left the
field when God Bless America was played during the 7th inning stretch?

TrishDaDish

I don't know anything about baseball, really, but why would people just burst into God Bless America - not even the national anthem, mind you (like that would make sense), but God Bless America - towards the end of the game?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Where is Charles "Cam" Miller today?
Shurimon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I don't know anything about baseball, really, but why would people just burst into God Bless America - not even the national anthem, mind you (like that would make sense), but God Bless America - towards the end of the game?

Traditionally, before the home team comes up to bat in the 7th inning there's what's called the "7th Inning Stretch". The fans of the home team will stand up and sing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game", I guess as another way to cheer their team on (dunno how or why it started, honestly; I just do it to root, root root for the Redlegs [Big Grin] ). However, for a while after 9/11, at least at Reds games, they'd replace "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" with patriotic songs, which did indeed include "God Bless America".

I never remember hearing about a player walking out during the song, though.

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Thanks for clueing me in, Shurimon! [Smile]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Shurimon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Where is Charles "Cam" Miller today?
In case anyone is wondering (like me) who Charles "Cam" Miller is/was, see Snope's 'I don't like Mondays' page.

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Do you happen to know why Judy Crowell left QVC for HSN? Someone
told me it was because Lisa Robertson was getting more air time and
attention?

Canuckistan

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Do you happen to know why Judy Crowell left QVC for HSN? Someone told me it was because Lisa Robertson was getting more air time and attention?

Office politics at QVC? Is nothing sacred?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 04 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was curious about the stories I have heard and read about a
Dutch artist named Jennifer Hoes who supposedly married herself.

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Faith: Woman marries herself
quote:
WASHINGTON, March 12 [2003] (UPI) -- For Jennifer Hoes, a Dutch student, May 28 will be a doubly exciting day. She'll turn 30, and she'll be a blushing bride -- plus her own groom. In the Trouwzaal, or wedding room, of the City Hall of Haarlem in the Netherlands, Jennifer will marry herself.
I cannot resist noting this tidbit: she wore a wedding gown "studded with 200 perfect latex copies of her own nipples,"

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I was curious about the stories I have heard and read about a
Dutch artist named Jennifer Hoes who supposedly married herself.

Does that mean on the honeymoon, she went and NFBSKed herself?

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i remember as a kid, in late fifty's, early sisty's, the neatest
song for( i believe) toys r us! some of the words were, "toys r us time of
the year!" oh my, everybody loved that! that even used to get my mother
geared up for the holidays! my question is, "why, everytime something good
comes out, they take it off?" and, if you can get ahold of that
commercial, could you send it to us? i hope so! thank you so much! an
avid and die hard x-mas fan

Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy wants a copy of a commercial that he's pretty sure is for Toys R Us. It was made forty or fifty years ago and he knows one line of the jingle sung in the commercial. Oh yes, everyone including his mother loved that commercial. So does he ask Toys R Us or a website that has nothing to do with that company?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because the company gave him a blank stare when he told them it was big in the sisty's.

Besides, he's a "die hard x-mas fan". Not enough of a fan to actually spell out Christmas, though, since that would be too much work. But a "die hard" fan nonetheless.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE USA NETWORK HAS CANCELLED THE NEW SERIES,
KOJAK, WITH THE MARVELOUS BLACK ACTOR?

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING REGARDING IT'S COMEBACK.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Do hyenas of both genders all have an extra vestigal penis?
TrishDaDish

Icon 601 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE USA NETWORK HAS CANCELLED THE NEW SERIES,
KOJAK, WITH THE MARVELOUS BLACK ACTOR?

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING REGARDING IT'S COMEBACK.

I'm sorry, but due to your lack of interest in learning the name of the star of our series, "Kojak", we refuse to answer your inquiry. Perhaps you'd be better off watching THAT BOOTYLICIOUS HISPANIC ACTOR on "Without A Trace", currently being shown on CBS.

-USA NETWORK

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: um..... answer this for me. do red heads really attract sunlight
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I once heard that a Japanese lady licked the toilet of the hotel
room where David Beckham had stayed. Is this true? I hope not.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Why do people say "Marco" and get a reply of "Polo"? I just
don't get it!!!

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Why do people say "Marco" and get a reply of "Polo"? I just don't get it!!!

Must be from another envious Portuguese explorer.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages