snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Burning issues of our times (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burning issues of our times
Chelle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall.

And then ask her parents to see if she's lying. [Big Grin]

-Chelle

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Suron

Icon 206 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwibird:
Well, if you mean, is Alice the heroine of the picture, of course! If you're referring to drugs as responsible for Alice's visions, most people prefer to consider mushrooms, or hash. However, most Dodgson scholars say no drugs are involved, even symbolically.

That makes me wonder about Mario (the old Nintendo mascot) then.

Go ask Mario ...

Jay's Web

Ever read Captain SNES?

captainsnes.keenspace.com

Mario is accused (falsely) of being a druggie by Max Force. Bowser was the one who tipped Max off.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello-
Do you know what Jell-O is? Is it a liquid or solid? What about pudding?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

I'm voting gas. It's not quite a liquid and it's not quite a solid, so it must be a gas.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 04 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe, spider-ham:
quote:

I'm voting gas. It's not quite a liquid and it's not quite a solid, so it must be a gas.
No no no! Jell-O is a toy. Anything that isn't 'alive' that wiggles and jiggles is a toy!
[fish]

Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay's Web

My cat would vouch for that last answer.

Actually, if I recall correctly, Jell-O is a liquid AND a solid. It's a mixture (a colloid) of different compounds - some in solid state, some in liquid state.

Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No, it's a plasma.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay, you must watch Alton Brown, too. On his Halloween show he discussed Jello being a colloid.

Kim "Love Alton"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty

quote:
Comment: I would like to find out if there is a underlying reason
O'Reilly's is building Auto supply stores next to Auto Zone

Actually, I have been kindof wondering this myself. Here, everywhere there is an Auto Zone, in the last 2 years, an O'Reilly's has popped up no more than 1/4 mile away.
Although, I don't think it's worth any effort on Snopes' end to find out.

BR48

quote:
No, it's a plasma.
Tastes like... burning.

BR "My cat's breath smells like cat food" 48

Jay's Web

No, I don't. I learned that in school.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 219 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My kids saw this story on tv and she would like to know more
about. She didn't get the name. Its about this guy that dreams of trees
with fruit that looks like Fairies and when he wakes up he has two of
them...I think it goes something like that. I hope you can help.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, just goes to show that two people watched TLC's "Mostly True Stories: Urban Legends Revealed" this past Tuesday.

Shown there was only a marginally ULish segment about a (self-described) Buddhist monk (from some Southeast Asian country) who, while napping deep in the midst of a forest, claimed to have had a dream about beautiful maidens who danced around him and then seemed to vanish into thin air.

After waking from this brief sleep and returning to his hike, this monk stumbled upon odd tree blossoms that seemed to bear strange "fruit" shaped like women. Remembering a tale about the Buddha (and this is when I flipped back and forth to the Miss Universe pageant) that featured flowers from which tiny, beautiful maidens grew, he plucked two of these dried "bodies" as proof of the veracity of a Buddhist legend and returned to civilization.

(In other words, a Thai con man set up a tourist trap where you could pay to have a look at these little dried "dancing maidens" that had "grown on trees," just like in Buddha's time.)

The program then featured an examination of these dried whatevers, which looked rather like dessicated bats or something. At which point the hubby thought it'd be a good idea to return to the dancing maidens in the Miss Universe pageant.

Bonnie "if you think it's Buddha, but it's not ... " Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
At which point the hubby thought it'd be a good idea to return to the dancing maidens in the Miss Universe pageant.

Bonnie "if you think it's Buddha, but it's not ... " Taylor

"watch chiffon?"
Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I want to know in the toyota camry commercial, whether that guy
is actually driving on the california 405 or is it a set.

If it is real wouldn't it cost a lot to close down the road?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Ok I have 2 questions for you guys,
First airplanehomes.com claims to put a 727 airplane on a pole and allow
you to live on a rotating aircraft?
Second did the original model T come with 20 inch rims?

Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First airplanehomes.com claims to put a 727 airplane on a pole and allow you to live on a rotating aircraft?
Airplanehomes.com is part of Max Power Aerospace, Inc. and they do indeed claim to sell 727 aircraft mounted on a swivelling base that allows the home to point itself into the wind. They apparently sold one recently on e-Bay.

I've been following this site for a couple of years - not really sure what to believe, as I've never seen anything but a photoshop picture of what they are supposed to look like. I'd like to see the real thing one day. You can look through what makes up the components for the home, including the base, here.

I wonder if the letter writer heard NPR's story on the subject.

By the way, there is an individual in Oregon who purchased a former Olympic Airways 727 and had it towed to a private lot. He's spent a couple of years now converting it into a home in his spare time.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Otter of our Discontent

quote:
quote:

I think it's either a sol or a gel.

I'm leaning towards gel. I used to get them mixed up in Chemistry class.

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
quote:
Comment: I was wondering if you had anything on Mr. Rogers being gay? My husband
says he is. But I told him its an urban legend. Please help!!!

Won't Mrs. Rogers be surprised?

Sheesh, you'd think they'd finally leave the poor guy alone, now that he's deceased...
[Frown]

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Can you tell me whether you know of an urban legend connected
with Mel Torme's making of the "The Christmas Song"?

Thank you. I keep hearing the same story about certain of his body parts
being related to certain words in the song and I would like to know
whether this true.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Can you tell me whether you know of an urban legend connected
with Mel Torme's making of the "The Christmas Song"?

Thank you. I keep hearing the same story about certain of his body parts
being related to certain words in the song and I would like to know
whether this true.

OK, well, let's start at the beginning.....

Chest...... OK.
nuts..... OK.
Roasting..... Hmmm. That's not a body part.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: My kids saw this story on tv and she would like to know more
about. She didn't get the name. Its about this guy that dreams of trees
with fruit that looks like Fairies and when he wakes up he has two of
them...I think it goes something like that. I hope you can help.

I also watched this particular episode of "that UL show that sucks" (as I refer to it around my partner). It looked like the little baby Buddha fairy things were some kind of root or dried fruit that looked more like fetus (how do you pluralize that?) than fairies or any somewhat supposedly adult creature. I think that they sai dtesting on bits of the specimens had been done with mixed results but none really proved that they had fairy bits. Most seemed to have similarity to wood fiber.

Little "but my mind's not what it used to be" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiss Waffles The Chef

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i have been looking up cass elliot, i know that she was around
two hundred something

200? Wow. She never looked a day over 190.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 04 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Ths question has to do with a daisy. When doing "He loves me, He
loves me not", is it the last petal that counts, or the head of the
flower?

GameSix

quote:
flower?

Neither can count. Everybody knows that flowers do not have the concept of a numerical system.

-Game "...except the algebraic tulip of Venezuela, of course" Six

Sparverius, the feathered serpent

quote:
flower?

Depends on what you want the answer to be.
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Ths question has to do with a daisy. When doing "He loves me, He loves me not", is it the last petal that counts, or the head of the flower?

As I understand it, if it turns out "He/she loves me" on the last petal, the daisy-plucker is supposed to give the head to the other person.

That way she/he will love you back.....

Brad "did not go to Oral Roberts University" from Gerogia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Travelling Canadian

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: just curious if anyone has ever taken a trip from Fucking Austria
to Dildo Bay Newfoundland. I used to ship parcels there, and am told they
refer to it as "New Harbour" now.

Yes, there is a Dildo, Nfld. Also Conception Bay and Come by Chance. People are always discovering these places and laughing like crazy. There is also a MooseJaw, Saskatchewan, and several other odd place names. Not to mention Walla Walla and Kalamazoo, in the USA. There are unusual place names all over the world. But I'm wondering why nobody has commented on "Fucking Austria". Is there such a place, or is the person in question merely swearing at Austria?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i have been doing some reserch on what appers to be a vinager
pitcher which on the bottem is printed
boldt design pant'd march 6-1909 and on the bottem allong the side it sais
one full quart any help you can give me is appricated thanks

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 221 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i have been doing some reserch on what appers to be a vinager pitcher which on the bottem is printed boldt design pant'd march 6-1909
Wow! I never knew Wilmer Mizell had a tattoo on his butt.

- snopes

GameSix

Icon 217 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
i have been doing some reserch on what appers to be a vinager pitcher which on the bottem is printed boldt design pant'd march 6-1909
Wow! I never knew Wilmer Mizell had a tattoo on his butt.

- snopes

Curse you, snopes. That was exactly what came to my mind when I saw "vinegar pitcher". Why couldn't you just wait for somebody (i.e. me) to type that?

-Game "90-88, 3.85 ERA" Six

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hi:

Any idea how this "trick" is done?

www.digicc.com/fido

snarkbait

It's done with the "9's compliment property of base-10 arithmetic"

Essentially, you take a number, scramble it around, and subtract the smaller... then end result digits will always equal 9's or groups of 9's...

For example: 8459 - 4895 = 3564... let's say you circle the '6'... you enter 354... 5 + 4 = 9, so the the remaining number must be a '6', since 6 + 3 = 9

Snark "The wierdest thing is I was actually drinking 7-up when I did the test.." Bait

TheBobo

Icon 01 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Hi:

Any idea how this "trick" is done?

www.digicc.com/fido

Ok I give. How is it done?

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages