snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » People in serious need of geography lessons (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: People in serious need of geography lessons
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edited 'cause I'm brainless without my coffee.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
There's a Vancouver in Washington, the state, and there's another Vancouver in Washington, B.C., the capital of Canadian Canada.

-

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Vancouver is in Canada, not Washington. You have it wrong in the
story about the murdered McDonald's employee.

First of all she wasn't an employee (IIRC)
and I thought this was in Canada @ first too
I even went back to edit [Razz]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: there is something wrong with
http://www.snopes.com/language/colors/whithous.htm the White House was
burnt down there is historical evidence that is was, however it was NOT
1814 and it was NOT the British it was 1812 and it was the Canadians. GET
IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except, back then, Canadians WERE British.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:

Aren't they still a little bit... being members of the Commonwealth and all ?

Besides, wearing red coats to look like canadian Mounties while burning down the White House was pretty sneaky. Bad, bad, Brits ! [lol]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Phew! I wasn't sure why that was funny until you explained it. Thanks!

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
Aren't they still a little bit... being members of the Commonwealth and all ?

Only in the most technical sense. But no Canadian would consider him or herself British. Unless they were actually from Britain, of course, in which case this whole point is moot.

quote:
Besides, wearing red coats to look like canadian Mounties while burning down the White House was pretty sneaky. Bad, bad, Brits ! [lol]
Two centuries later, the tactic is still working. Those people dressed as Mounties that "represent" Canada throughout the world are really pickpockets.

They're so good at what they do, their ... ahem, fundraising ... accounts for 31% of our country's GDP.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In regards to the article "Official Language Vote" That appeared
on 9-14-06, I just wanted to inquire on how New Mexico ended up with three
senators?

Bingaman (D-NM)
Dayton (D-MN)
Domenici (R-NM)

Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no ... Dayton is from Moo Nexico. Completely different state -- in the corner there.

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Dayton was from Nimmesota.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skydivr5
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 05 posted      Profile for skydivr5   E-mail skydivr5   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Dayton was in Ohio!

ETA: New Mexico Magazine has a monthly feature called "One Of Our Fifty Is Missing" in which people relate their (usually) humorous experiences dealing with people who don't realize New Mexico is a state.

Posts: 22 | From: New Mexico | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukemono Plunkette:

Come on, Tootsie. That would give Nimmesota three senators.

Which is ridiculous.

--------------------

skydivr5
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 82 posted      Profile for skydivr5   E-mail skydivr5   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by Tsukemono Plunkette:

Come on, Tootsie. That would give Nimmesota three senators.

Which is ridiculous.

They can have one of ours!

Although I'm no longer certain if I live in New Mexico or Moo Nexico.

ETA: I just realized that wouldn't work; it would give Nimmesota 4 senators. Maybe (if I live in Moo Nexico) we could borrow one of theirs?

Posts: 22 | From: New Mexico | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i have a comment about your 'Boxing Day' article. i have to do a
report in school about a holiday from any country. i choose to do a report
on a holiday in scotland. (i've always been interested) anyway, Boxing Day
also exists in Scotland too and not just Canada Britrain and the same
places you listed. so, next time you do a report about a holiday, make
sure you get all the facts about where it is celebrated, before, you post
it on the internet.

thatnks for listening!(morons)

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've sometimes toyed with the idea of emigrating from my present home of Britain to Britrain. So have any of you snopesters ever been to Britrain - any knowledge of the climate, customs or economy? Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: I have had a couple of holidays in Scotland - and they were very nice. I've never been to scotland though.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
So have any of you snopesters ever been to Britrain - any knowledge of the climate, ...?

Do you really need to ask?

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada Britrain sounds like a nice place to live. At least they have Boxing Day.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
I've sometimes toyed with the idea of emigrating from my present home of Britain to Britrain. So have any of you snopesters ever been to Britrain - any knowledge of the climate, customs or economy? Any help would be appreciated.

I think Zachary Fizz lives in Britrain at the moment.

The Debenhams in Ipswich has a big banner up saying "DEBENHAMS OPEN BOXING DAY" - for a moment I thought "They're holding an open boxing tournament in Debenhams?!"

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages