snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » When tinfoil hats aren't enough (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: When tinfoil hats aren't enough
Sparvid
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
So, I was not surprized when in conjuction with someone in
Hollywood telling me that it is proud of my work that I
started noticing more and more appearances of 224 422 316
613 136 in many movies, TV shows, and even books like the
Naked Prey and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Ok, I don't quite get tihs... Does he mean that the number "224 422 316 613 136" is in Order of the Phoenix, or that it contains one of 224 or 422 or 316 or 613 or 136?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: For years your website has been like "God" to my friends, family
and co-workers. However, you recently let me/us down. We had heard of
the ghost in 3 Men and a Baby.... You say it is all a hoax.... however,
you go to great lengths to avoid discussing the little boy in the
movie.... who is he? How did he get there? How did someone soooooooo
young get into a very secure "hot set?" Right, he's a cardboard cutout
of Ted Danson?

The truth is there was a lawsuit - it settled for an "anonymous amount"
and you will not print that....

Now we know the truth... the truth is You are Paid to print what "they"
want you to print. Too bad.
And so another "god" bites the dust.
You are paid off, just like the rest of us.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are paid off, just like the rest of us.

Yipes! Looks like our little game is up. You make the bank withdrawal, and I'll meet you and Barbara at the Luxor, usual table.

Darn. I hate to see such a lucrative income scheme spoiled.

ham "roll 'em, one last time" bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, I am an artist, I created the artworks of Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Ditty kong, Mushroom kingdom, Princes Peach, Kirby and many more. I read about "Donkey Wrong" and you are correct somthing sounds off beat. Here is what happened, I know nothing about games, I create art and cartoons only. The names were also created by myself, I heard they were changed, for example Mario was called Jumpman, then change back to Mario. Why I don't know, maybe that because all of the artworks created by me were used without my permission, I have contacted responsible parties of course state that all artworks used are their property, also that no futher communication would be made. I have been in dispute for years, I did these artworks or cartoons after 1977. Mario was a friend of mine from my childhood. About Donkey Kong. I drew a donkey and made an upper body of a gorilla as a creature of two anmials, being so awful I thought it would be better to just continue with the gorilla. I called him Donkey Kong because of the two part animal, and the name stuck for just the gorilla alone.
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 05 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: My name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, I am an artist, I created the artworks of Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Ditty kong, Mushroom kingdom, Princes Peach, Kirby and many more. { massive snip }

Does this guy ever give up?
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/drpepper.asp

Comment: Oh my God! Let's not buy any soda pop, in protest of a marketing
decision! Let's teach them a lesson by NOT investing in the economy! We're
just oh-so-sanctimonious that we have the right to look condescendingly
toward those who don't march in goose step -I mean, LOCK-step with our
self righteous, narrow little definition of patriotism, DON'T we! Aren't
WE just SOOOOO ABOVE it all! Maybe you should remove the log from your own
eye before you complain about the speck in your brother's, eh? I encounter
people like you every day. They pretend to be conservative too, but
they're just a bunch of arrogant, ignorant little mind-nazis like you. As
for me, I'm going to continue to drink Mountain Dew, Pepsi, AND Coca Cola,
and I sincerely hope that you see me purchase those produts!

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see. snopes was going for something in the Dr. Pepper omits "Under God" page... what was it again?? Oh, that's right...

a point.

Remember when the Bard used the words, "To sleep, perchance to dream..."? Try these.

To read, perchance to understand.

And snopes, I didn't realize you were a mind-nazi... and little to boot! Maybe you won't see him buying those "produts"!! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My God! Don't you think Nazi is a little strong?

Why would you see them purchase the "produts"? If Snopes is indeed watching our every purchase I will have to cut down on my junk food consumption.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GAH!

Malruhn, you beat me to it! [fish]

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Let's teach them a lesson by NOT investing in the economy!
Where did she hear that line from? Not purchasig one product is not "investing in the economy"? [Roll Eyes]

Besides, IF this were a true story (which is ISN'T), not purchasing a product whose business practices you disagree with is the best way to make your point. You can't write nasty emails to Coke and then keep buying it, why would they bother to do anything differently?

Oh, wait, I'm applying logic with the wrong people again, aren't I? [Wink]

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: My name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, I am an artist, I created the artworks of Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Ditty kong,

Funny, he "created" the 'artworks', yet he doesn't even know the name of the character he supposedly created. It's DIDDY Kong, not 'Ditty'.
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for me, I'm going to continue to drink Mountain Dew, Pepsi, AND Coca Cola, and I sincerely hope that you see me purchase those produts!
Since the protest was about something that appeared on Dr Pepper cans, I suspect even the boycotters will continue to drink Mountain Dew, Pepsi, and Coca-Cola.

- snopes

Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't Dr. Pepper owned by Coca-cola?
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, the mind-nazi strikes again!!

Hey Eve, why did you decide that this joker was a "she"?? I automatically assume that stupid people are male... It may be bad of me, but I can't help it.

Sister Pink - and don't forget that Coke owns Pepsi as well! [lol]

And on a personal note to the "amazing artiste" (French spelling!). Um... you suck. Even with 1980s technology, dot-matrix pixillated screens could do better than that. You suck.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Hey Eve, why did you decide that this joker was a "she"?? I automatically assume that stupid people are male... It may be bad of me, but I can't help it.

I think it just sounded to me like a woman's way of ranting, with the "Oh my God!" and the exclamation points.

If you tend to think male and I tend to think female when we read these, then I guess it balances out. Equal rights = equal opportunity to be a bonehead. [Smile]

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, they're owned by Cadbury Schweppes.

- snopes

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Which is a subsidary of Proctor and Gamble... satanists that they are.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You really need to stop lying and mis-leading the public
concerning the governments collusion in the events of September 11th,
2001. Just stop it and tell the truth.

The Truth Shall Set Us Free!

Freedom Fighter!

diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
No, they're owned by Cadbury Schweppes.

- snopes

I think teh confusion originates that Dr. Pepper is at least Bottled by Pepsi-cola which can be confused with coca-cola.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Pink:
quote:
Comment: My name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, I am an artist, I created the artworks of Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Ditty kong,

Funny, he "created" the 'artworks', yet he doesn't even know the name of the character he supposedly created. It's DIDDY Kong, not 'Ditty'.
Me of all people should know that too.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: As an American in Sicily, I have *inside* information, that, in
fact, embedded behind the left ear of the Pope's cadaver, is, a GPU
(Global Positioning Unit), in the case that anyone kidnaps and tried to
hold the cadaver for ransome. Email me if you want the whole story.

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hmm..can't the pope-kidnapper simply cut off the ear?

Mad "Someone stole my pope" Jay

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: OLD MAN BUSH SPOKE BEFORE CONGRESS 1991 ABOUT A NEW WORLD ORDER,
THE DATE WAS SEPT 11, ON THE 10th ANNIVERSARY THE USA WAS ATTACKED, THIS
WAS THE RESULT OF THE ATTEMPT OF THE US AND THE BUSH CLAN TO RULE THE
WORLD WHICH WILL CAUSE THE DOWNFALL OF THE USA, THESE ARE OBSERVATIONS
WHICH WILL HAPPEN, UNLESS YOU GET RID OF THE TRUE LEADER OF THE AXIS OF
EVIL GEORGE BUSH . IN MY OPINION.

OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: OLD MAN BUSH SPOKE BEFORE CONGRESS 1991 ABOUT A NEW WORLD ORDER,
THE DATE WAS SEPT 11, ON THE 10th ANNIVERSARY THE USA WAS ATTACKED, THIS
WAS THE RESULT OF THE ATTEMPT OF THE US AND THE BUSH CLAN TO RULE THE
WORLD WHICH WILL CAUSE THE DOWNFALL OF THE USA, THESE ARE OBSERVATIONS
WHICH WILL HAPPEN, UNLESS YOU GET RID OF THE TRUE LEADER OF THE AXIS OF
EVIL GEORGE BUSH . IN MY OPINION.

If you ask me, it's the "in my opinion" that really makes the letter...

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: As an American in Sicily, I have *inside* information, that, in
fact, embedded behind the left ear of the Pope's cadaver, is, a GPU
(Global Positioning Unit), in the case that anyone kidnaps and tried to
hold the cadaver for ransome. Email me if you want the whole story.

1) The island of Sicily and Vatican City aren't next door to each other. If you want to use your location as proof, choose one by the action.

2) With the number of people lining up to pay their respects, how is a kidnapper supposed to sneak through the crowds and get away with the body without being noticed?

Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 81 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume they mean if the kidnappers somehow dig his body out after he's buried or interred or whatever they do with popes, not now. Wouldn't be the first time someone's tried to do this sort of thing.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Is it true that micorwave ovens continue to emanate radiation
when you stop the micorwave before the time runs out and you fail to
cancel the time remaining?

Someone at my workplace has become obsessed about this issue, to the point
of posting a handmade sign asking people to cancel any remaining time left
if they stop the microwave prematurely to take their food out.

To me, it doesn't seem possible, but stranger things have happened, so I
thought I would ask.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Dear snopes,

I'm afraid you do not know me, but unfortunately I am all too familiar
with you and your website. I hail from 200 years in the future, and the
Earth is but a blackened shell. As few as 100 humans survive, living in a
cramped bunker miles under the surface, awaiting a time when we may
re-colonise the planet, or are caught by the ever lingering embrace of
death. And as we do so we curse your very name.

It wasn't always this way, indeed just a short 50 years earlier you were
hailed as a God of truth, a fortress of truth, standing against ignorance.
The annual snopes' Day was used to strike down ignorance everywhere, and
this new approach lead to a Utopian society. Politicians realised they
could no longer placate the populous with untruths, and across the world
people were governed by truth.

Alas, then tragedy struck. The people's trust had become too great, too
complete. You transcended the bounds of false authority and were held
flawless. But more worryingly, that which should never been forgotten was
lost, and thus 'The repository of lost legends' became divorced from its
purpose and was incorporated into the great book of snopes as fact! Our
historians have since corrected this error, but our mistake had already
been revealed in the most tragic manner possible.

Thirty years ago the Earth came under threat of attack by a race of aliens
who had caught early earth television transmissions. They held Earth to
ransom, demanding to see more episodes of Mr. Ed. The people of Earth
obliged rapidly, gathering together all surviving episodes of the show,
but this was futile. The aliens had already seen all episodes that Earth
had broadcast, and thus it was necessary to make more.

Here you can perhaps see where our problem fell. In order to be faithful
to the original we consulted the book of snopes, and there found presented
the story concerning the original Mr. Ed. Armed with this knowledge, and
in order to please our alien oppressors, we decided to perform a new
episode of Mr. Ed live, presented in front of their Emperor. Fortunately
our scientists has already worked out that the aliens saw in black and
white only, and thus their vision would accurately reproduce the old black
and white televisions.

When the zebra was brought before the alien Emperor at the beginning of
the show he reacted with the level of disgust not previously seen outside
Chick tracts. Almost immediately the actors on stage and the zebra were
vapourised. The act was taken as an attempt to insult their leader and was
followed by a thorough nuclear attack on all Earth's major cities.

Too long have we lived confined in the bunker. Now snope's days are bitter
affairs, met with tears and pity parties. From this bitter and broken
humanity I have come. I plea to you to put an end to this the only way you
can. You must discredit yourself fully and publicly. Put everyone in no
doubt that you are but human, and not a God of truth. It will sacrifice
the years of Utopian life, but ultimately will save humanity. Should you
not do this I shall be forced to try and stop the incident with the Zebra
at the point at which it occurred, but unfortunately I do not feel that
those involved will tolerate that which to them will seem the ultimate
blasphemy.

arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely this belongs in Troll Call?

It must come from a Snopester!

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! People! snopes is just a message board. David is just a man with a message board.
There! I've gone and saved the world!

guru "now Barbara, on the other hand is a goddess " wan2b [Big Grin]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone has definately been watching a certain Futurama episode before writing this.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: hello there. someone emailed me this web sight that details the
300 concentration camps that are set up here in america. also, they say
there are 300,000 soviet troops here in the US just waiting for their
orders to take over us and send the "rebels" to the conentration camps.
rebels being gun owners who don't give up the guns, christians that don't
renounce their religion, etc. Have you heard of such fiction (a-la Red
Dawn)?
http://www.prolognet.qc.ca/clyde/camp.htm
thanks for looking into this.

Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And WHO is the Overlord of the UFO?!

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was reading an article about Best Buy and the story came up
about the staff not recognising $2 bills. This reminded me of the Snopes
article on the same problem at Taco Bell. I was also taken by Mike
Bolesta's unusual name...well unusual here in Scotland. A 30 second
jumbling of the letters of MICHAEL BOLESTA generates I SHAME TACO BELL. I
notice that you have already updated your site with the Bolesta story but
I suspect the anagram proves that we are probably dealing with some prime
BS.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages