snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Non sequitur, you say? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Non sequitur, you say?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: She stayed in Hollywood only long enough to fulfill her contracts . Then
she returned to Peru, and retired as a lady of means.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't say?

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christmas Bills Dinging:
You don't say?

Obviously, they didn't.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, then, should it have been "You don't type?"
When I grew up, my Dad would say "You don't say?" whenever I, as a child, started yapping.

--------------------

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 01 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: what does santa claus and the christmas tree have o do with
church

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: what does santa claus and the christmas tree have o do with church

They're all victims of the war on Christmas, which the Church of O'Reilly is defending. If you have to ask, you're a Satanic heathen.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: what does santa claus and the christmas tree have o do with
church

I've been asking that question for years.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oy

Yee-bad me-Mum

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: As I discovered while in Germany, menus translated into English
can be a problem even if the translation is perfect. In some cases items
have different names in English, so the translation isn't really
meaningful. On a German dessert menu "Coup Danmark" could be translated
"Cup Denmark", but it is a hot fudge sundae.

Even worse are those items which should not be translated into English at
all, including some which were not in German in the first place. I know
what filet mignon is, but translated it into either German or English and
I won't recognize it. Most Americans know, at least in a general way, what
filet mignon is, but how many know what it means?

Squoval

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
42. That's the answer. To everything.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have a question I have owned 2 Honda CRV's my question is why
hasn't Honda and or Toyota established auto dealer in some of the smaller
towns?We love are Honda but we don't like the idea that we need to travel
a hour and a helf to get to a dealership why doesn't Honda start
dealerships up in towns where county seats are I think they would really
increase their sales.

Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, I'll pass it along to them. I'm sure they have never even considered this before. Lucky they have brilliant people like you to help them run their business!
Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: kfc joke cant even get an order right,mutant junkies
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always order my mutant junkies from Pizza Hut.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But those mutant junkies don't come with 11 herbs and spices.

--------------------

Squoval

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer to get my mutant junkies from Hardees/Carl's Jr.

--------------------

lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you want cyborg fries with your mutant junkies? And was that X large toxic slime Smoothie?

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I saw this on the tonight show last week. Lucy lue was the guest
and said she had just come back from Japan and that they had toilet seats
that were warmed by electricity. She said that there have been incidences
of people being electrocuted by the toilet seats. It sounded like lore to
me. I believe that they have these toilet seats though. She also said
that sushimi was raw fish. A friend of mine was married to a lady from
Okinawa and tells me that sushi is raw and sushimi is cooked.

Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still wonder how you survive these type of comments. It's like that Lewis Black line, "If not for my horse..." BAM! your brain explodes. "I believe that they have these toilet seats though. She also said that sushimi was raw fish..." BAM! there goes your brain.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
I still wonder how you survive these type of comments. It's like that Lewis Black line, "If not for my horse..." BAM! your brain explodes. "I believe that they have these toilet seats though. She also said that sushimi was raw fish..." BAM! there goes your brain.

Fairly simple explanation, when you're part of Snopes' Inner Circle. If you promise not to tell anyone else what I'm about to describe, and to learn the secret handshake no later than midnight, I'll forward your membership card and free decoder ring ASAP.

David's brain indeed has exploded from inane and incomprehensible messages such as these. For several years, Snopes has been run by an autonomous Artificial Intelligence located in an impregnable bunker somewhere in Nevada. Some of us remember the sudden style and opinion changes that happened at the time, but we've long become used to the current situation and rarely think about it anymore.

Thanks are unnecessary - just send me three payments of $29.95 to cover your membership dues for the remainder of this year.

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:
Thanks are unnecessary - just send me three payments of $29.95 to cover your membership dues for the remainder of this year.

The checks are in the mail...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I do not for one moment believe you about hilary and the Roman
spring and April Fools. I think it is a leg pull, albeit a hilarious (yuk)
one.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 203 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Look if this fact answer yuor dude:
The eart give a revolution in 24 H. Rigth? Then: 360°/24Hs=15. This is the
basic of the astronomical navegation. I'm profesional navegato.
The 3 rul:
60minutes = 15°
40 " = 10
Is correct or not?
Answer that yiour ponit?

Senior

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is the basic of the astronomical navegation. I'm profesional navegato.

You're not a professional speller.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
quote:
This is the basic of the astronomical navegation. I'm profesional navegato.

You're not a professional speller.
He's a feline direction-giver professional.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK!  -

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What a great site! I use it almost daily to measure the
sanity/culpability of my friends who forward things. Wonderful writer-ing.
Barbara Mikkelson is a curious name. Did it used to be Abrahamson or
something like that? Someone of that name used to predict the future of
the semiconductor industry at a company called In-Stat in Scottsdale.
Just curious, but I mean it about the writer-ing. Great stuff.

Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just curious, but I mean it about the writer-ing.
Ms Abrahamson or something, I'd be offended if I were referred to as a writer-ing.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination' and 'bump'.
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Must be true because when you assassinate someone you "bump 'em off".
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Born on December 8th, 1953 in Yakima, Washington, Sam Kinison's
beginnings were fairly innocent. His father was a Pentacostal preacher,
and the family lived in a church in Peoria, Illinois. Sam and his brothers
followed in their father's footsteps by touring churches across the Bible
Belt and earning a decent living. But that wasn't enough for Sam. As his
preachings became increasingly too much for the average churchgoer, he
took his thoughts and ideas to comedy clubs.

Hard-drinking and hard-partying became a major part of his act, until it
became his downfall. After realizing that drink and drug were killing him,
he decided to clean up his life. He sobered up and married beautiful
Malika Souiri, who appeared with him in his shows and in his music videos.
Ironically, on their way to a sold-out show in Laughlin, Nevada, the
newlyweds' car was struck head-on by a teenaged drunk driver, injuring
passenger Malika, and killing Sam in 1992.

My pastor said that when he had crashed a friend was there and went up to
him before he was pulled from the car and before he died, he was screaming
that he was not ready to die.

arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
before he was pulled from the car and before he died, he was screaming

After he died, did he scream that he was ready to die?
[fish]

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, he screamed, "OH! OHHHH!!! I'm NOT in HELLLL!!!!!!"

Sorry, I can't translate his yell routine into screen words well.

Trish "SAY IT! SAY IT!!!!!!!!!!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: No big deal, friends, & if you play music, pls. just a.s.a.p. take it up with me, so that I can tell you, whatever my life's about to concentrate on to give me whatever thought-of result, remains to be seen.
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
before he was pulled from the car and before he died, he was screaming

After he died, did he scream that he was ready to die?
[fish]

No, he just screamed: "I am not ready to A
                                                            A
                                                                 A
                                                                    A
                                                                       R
                                                                          G
                                                                             H"

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages