snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » What part of 'false' are you having trouble understanding? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What part of 'false' are you having trouble understanding?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/college/medical/testicle.asp

Comment: I was wonderin if you could really sell one of your testicals..and where could i do that at

please email me back with the information

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Comment: I was wonderin if you could really sell one of your testicals..and where could i do that at

Bal-mart?

PT "Someone had to say it" Vroman

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/golden.htm
Comment: I KNOW A GUY THAT WILL TAKE DEM ALL PLEASE RIGHT ME BACK .
------------------------------------------------------------------------
He's a chiropractor?

YOMANK! As I read that I heard a pirate voice in my head "Please right me back, arrr".

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 402 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
quote:

Bal-mart?
I think he should go straight to a nuthouse.
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was wonderin if you could really sell one of your testicals
Sorry, my testicles are not for sale. Kind of rude of you to even consider it, too.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=7140&sid=1183
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arluquin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 304 posted      Profile for arluquin         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Does it bother you that the information they attribute to snopes is incorrect? Further more, should someone tell them that Cedric Moon at KGMB is not a very good researcher?

-arluquin

Posts: 122 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wow. Just... wow. I don't know whether to be shocked, saddened, sickened, frightened... Do the people writing these stories not even read the sources??

Wow.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Molly:
Wow. Just... wow. I don't know whether to be shocked, saddened, sickened, frightened...

Why limit yourself to just one?

Seriously though: for casual readers, missing the word "False" near the top of the article in bold, italicized, red print is forgivable, if annoying.

For professionals working on a news story, it's disgraceful.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: estimados señores, he visto un articulo sobre Red Bull su
contenido es quizas importante pero que significa el ¿"Status: FALSO"?. de
ese articulo.

Canuckistan

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Status: FALSO" significa que el tema del artículo no es verdad. Es una mentira. Totalmente falso.

Buen día a usted también.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In the article at Snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp, there
is an idea from a "Retired Coke Exec" on how to start a gas war between
the Major Oil Companies.

What does "False" mean under the Heading: Status??

Canuckistan

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the Major Oil Companies.

It means the CIA has been dispatched to come and get you now.

--------------------

Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the Major Oil Companies.

WTF? There is something to be said for involuntary euthanasia.
Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: HI BARBABA--YOUR ARE DOING GREAT AS USUAL. I PROBABLY FORWARDED
DOXENS OF FALSE OR NOT CORRECT BITS OF ON FORMATION BEFORE A GOOD FRIEND
TURNED ME ON TO SNOPES.
ANYWAY THE HOTTEST SONG DURING THE LAST FEW DAYS HAS BEEN TAPS AND I HAVE
GOTTEN A COUPLE OF FOLKS THAT SAY THE CIVIL WAR CAPR AND SON HAS BEEN
CHECKED OUT AND IS CORRECT.
IWENT TO SNOPES, SEARCHED FOR TAPS AND WITHOUT OPENING THE FILE TO SEE ALL
OF THE STORY IT DOES APPEAR TO BE TRUE AT FIRST GLANCE. HAS THIS SITUATION
BEEN SENT BEFORE ? MAY I SUGGEST YOU ADD A FALSE ,MAYBE AFTER THE 4 DOTS
,SO READERS KNOW IT IS FALSE BEFOE THE READ THE ENTIRE WRITE
UP

Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, snopes & Barbara, and while you're at it, stop adding any commentary at all. No one wants all that boring and obviously confusing follow up.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I want to verfy that you still want
Ashley's picture sent out via e-mail to help find her. Sometimes things
happen so fast on the
internet that she could be home by now.....

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In the song Love Roller Coaster it is said that the model in the
album cover has gone missing since the suppose confrontation of the model
and the manager. If you can find any information, I would like to know
more about where she is or if she is really missing. Thank you.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My question is the missing child, Ashley Flores, still missing.
The page on your web site shows the Status: False. So, I was wondering if
this is a valid missing person.

please reply

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: My question is the missing child, Ashley Flores, still missing. The page on your web site shows the Status: False. So, I was wondering if this is a valid missing person.

please reply

This one truly boggles the mind. I re-read the page in question. It says it's false. It explains why it's false. It has quotes from a newspaper article saying it's false. Short of having the word "False" flashing in enormous red letters while the Morriston Orpheus Choir sings the word "false" in four-part harmony to the tune of the Anvil Chorus, I don't know more obvious it could be made.

To paraphrase the thread title, what part of 'false' doesn't this person understand?

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "one-syllable words confuse me" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: please respond-Pepsi says that your article is not true-If any
beverage and food Company leaves out in God WE Trust-we will not be buying
any thing from them ever again-we have prospered in the USA Pretty
good-leave it alone.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I recently forwarded some messages also sent to me bout Hilfiger which
happen a long time ago then I got the rebuke by telling me to check the
facts which I wrongfully didnt, confident bout the source before
forwarding anything.

So was it ever resolved, the issues i mean if it were really true or not?

NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes , the issues were resolved.

PS In the future, please check your grammar as well. And your spelling. There is an "a" in "about". And it's pronounced "aboot."

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: How do I determine from your writeups what is a falsehood ?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: kel michell is not dead. he is alive and well so, you should
remove the article of him said to be as dead.

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Comment: kel michell is not dead. he is alive and well so, you should remove the article of him said to be as dead.

Or perhaps you should actually bother to read what the article said before you send foolish e-mails. [Razz]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Reading: The Lost Art" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Comment: How do I determine from your writeups what is a falsehood ?

I know it's a subtle thing and easily missed by the untrained eye, but I've generally found that when the article says "status: false," it's probably a falsehood.

It's little clues like this that I've found so helpful in determining whether the article is an urban myth or not.

Give it a try - you'll be amazed at the results.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "You want false? You can't handle false" ab Arthur

--------------------

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: if the testicle for money is true, then shit i am down to do
that, if there is a hospital that does that please email me back

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Comment: if the testicle for money is true, then shit i am down to do that, if there is a hospital that does that please email me back

While you're at it, ask about the 2-for-1 special.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "watering eyes" ab Arthur

--------------------

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
if the testicle for money is true, then shit i am down to do

It takes real balls to pull off a plan like that.

--------------------

Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
It takes real balls to pull off a plan like that.

Sure, but then you only have real ball.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: if the testicle for money is true, then shit i am down to do

I'm confused- is he trying to sell shit or a testicle? Or sell the testicle then shit?

Then again, that might be the reaction of a lot of men after losing a testicle. Right after the scream.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I am receiving emails about the following link:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/microsoft-aol.asp

Please let me know if this is TRUE or NOT.

Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the problem, snopes. You've labelled it as "False", not "NOT." No wonder the poor bugger's so confused.

--------------------

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Comment: I am receiving emails about the following link:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/microsoft-aol.asp

Please let me know if this is TRUE or NOT.

Further proof that some people's gene pool just doesn't have a deep end.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "What is this 'False' of which you speak" ab Arthur

--------------------

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages