snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Apostrophilia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apostrophilia
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard this story a few years ago,and I believe that if it has'nt,it will,over time,eventually take on 'Urban Legend' proportions-

Two guys went to northern Vermont to pick up a forty pound shipment of marijunana,and hid it inside the door panels of their car. Of course,once on the road they had to try some of it,getting 'stoned' and eventually a case of the 'munchies'. So,they found a Mc Donalds and stopped and purchased four or five 'Happy Meals' to eat on their way back. They were having such a good time eating their food with the radio blasting,that they didn't realize that they were 'speeding',and soon found themselves being followed by a Vermont State Trooper with his lights flashing and siren wailing.

Once he pulled them over,the Trooper looked inside the car to see food scattered everywhere. Hamburgers and cheeseburgers and french fries were all over the inside of the vehicle. When questioned about the food,the driver explained that they had just been acting silly and had had a 'food fight'. The driver then produced his license and registration,and the officer asked if they were carrying any weapons or drugs,of course,the driver answered 'No'.

Suspecting something was amiss,the Trooper asked the driver for permission to search the car,but the driver refused saying,"I don't have anything in the car,so why do you want to search it?" The Trooper replied that if he didn't have anything 'illegal' in the vehicle,then why would'nt it be alright for them to search the car? They went back and forth like this,until finally,the Trooper called for a K-9 Unit to search the vehicle anyway.

Now,the two guys were very concerned,and beginning to panic,as they realized that the dog would more than likely smell the pot and they would be arrested and be facing serious jail time. But,when the K-9 Unit arrived and the officer brought the dog over to the car,the dog immediately started eating all of the food that was spread throughout the car! The officer could'nt stop the dog from eating long enough to get him to concentrate on searching the car,and after several minutes the two cops finally gave up. It was then that the two men realized that things were'nt going to be as bad as they had originally thought.

In the end,the Trooper let them off with just a 'warning',and they went on their way. But,from that day on,neither of them would ever eat at any place but Mc Donalds,feeling that it was the food from that restaurant that had saved them from prison.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude! That was 'one' time I thought we were 'busted.'

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DingDong
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I heard this story a few years ago,and I believe that if it has'nt,it will,over time,eventually take on 'Urban Legend' proportions-

Unfortunately, in order for a story to become an urban legend, it has to actually be interesting. Sorry.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a cool story to relate to your 'stoner' friends while they're 'stoned' and trying to get you 'stoned', but. . . a drug sniffing dog would 'hit' on the hidden dope before discovering the free food. The k-9 'officer' would have his 'probable cause' for an arrest, then decide if he'd let the dog chew up the 'evidence' of his probable cause for the search.

Ex-wife = Cop
Ex-girlfriend = Defense Attorney
Ex-boss = Search K9 trainer
Me = Pansophist

- Para "The Messiah of Pansophism" Diddle

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 27 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I "wonder" if he's been "reading" too much "Dave Barry" without "realizing" it was a "joke"

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Egad' sometimes I wonder what these 'people' are thinking when they type these 'urban ledgends'.

Now if they had gotten the dog 'high', were arrested by the 'police' because of 'stupidity', or it turned out the 'policeman' was the person who sold them the 'drugs' in the first place, then it would be more 'interesting.'

Ja'So maybe the apostrophie stuff isn't funny after several other people do it, but 'oh well'...'ck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Thank you for your prompt response. I have found 'Snopes' report on this
'Rumor' and how false it is. I have advised the 'Senders' to check with
'Snopes' before distributing such 'Crap'

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Thank you for your prompt response. I have found 'Snopes' report on this 'Rumor' and how false it is. I have advised the 'Senders' to check with 'Snopes' before distributing such 'Crap'

I think there's a pattern here. The quoted words are:

'Snopes'
'Rumor'
'Senders'
'Snopes'
'Crap'

Ah, 'Snopes rumors senders Snopes crap.' I think it's actually a clever code (or a very nasty insult) [Big Grin]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "That's what they want you to think" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
I think it's a cool story to relate to your 'stoner' friends while they're 'stoned' and trying to get you 'stoned', but. . . a drug sniffing dog would 'hit' on the hidden dope before discovering the free food. The k-9 'officer' would have his 'probable cause' for an arrest, then decide if he'd let the dog chew up the 'evidence' of his probable cause for the search.

Ex-wife = Cop
Ex-girlfriend = Defense Attorney
Ex-boss = Search K9 trainer
Me = Pansophist

- Para "The Messiah of Pansophism" Diddle

Except that it would be 'illegal' to 'detain' the vehicle for the time it took the 'dog' to 'get there', unless there was already 'reasonable suspicion.'

Me = Prosecutor [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
Except that it would be 'illegal' to 'detain' the vehicle for the time it took the 'dog' to 'get there', unless there was already 'reasonable suspicion.'

Me = Prosecutor [Big Grin]

It would not, 'however,' be illegal to 'detain' them for the amount of time it takes to run the 'plates' and 'criminal history reports.' And if the K-9 unit 'arrives' before those checks 'are' done, then they can 'take' a quick sniff.

Demon "Sorry, sir. The network appears to be a little 'slow' this evening." Wolf

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
It would not, 'however,' be illegal to 'detain' them for the amount of time it takes to run the 'plates' and 'criminal history reports.' And if the K-9 unit 'arrives' before those checks 'are' done, then they can 'take' a quick sniff.

Demon "Sorry, sir. The network appears to be a little 'slow' this evening." Wolf

You are 'correct', sir.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages