snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » What part of 'hoax' are you having difficulty with?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What part of 'hoax' are you having difficulty with?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just received an e-mail stating there is a Federal Bill 602P
introduced for the purpose of charging the 5 cents per e-mail message. I also
heard it reported on WBBM radio in Chicago in the morning of August 15th. Based
on this are you still certain there is no legative effort to bring about this
charge?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What part of 'hoax' are you having difficulty with?

The bit right after the "h", apparently.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A tall thin DJ with a nearly shaved bald head, black rimmed "birth control goggles" glasses, weird shiny surplus pants and a t-shirt which reads "LOSER" real big across the front, pushes a button on the console and turns the pot up. He shifts his headphones and leans into the microphone...."That was 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' and before that was Pearl Jam with 'Wishlist' and this is WBBM Chicago, the only place to find WBBM music and pending legislation twenty four hours a day...no rap..no non-binding referendums..and none of your little sister's music..just the best rock and bills working through the Congress everyday....in 5 minutes we'll kick off a 16-song set with something from U2."
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Regaurding the "hunt for bambi" On the page it says false but
this is very much true. It was all over the news while I was on vacation
with my family in Las Vegas back in July. They had footage of it and
everything. They even interviewed the girls that were gettin hunted! You
should change it to True.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Regaurding the "hunt for bambi" On the page it says false but
this is very much true. It was all over the news while I was on vacation
with my family in Las Vegas back in July. They had footage of it and
everything. They even interviewed the girls that were gettin hunted! You
should change it to True.

Oh, and it was in a National Enquirerer (or the Globe or one of them at the supermarker checkout, I get them confused).

That makes it real, too. [Smile]

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You have identified a Microsoft Patch as a REAL hoax. I receive
this warning all the time and I have found out that Microsoft NEVER
contacts a person. Or do you mean you have to go elsewhere for the patch?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/dumaru.asp

Comment: so do i delete this message or use the patch. you said it was
real. "use this patch immediately"

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 603 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, everything after "[Collected on the Internet...] and before "Origins:" that's in a box is what snopes writes. Just ignore everything but that box.

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 101 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/dumaru.asp

Comment: so do i delete this message or use the patch. you said it was real. "use this patch immediately"

Be sure to use any and all patches you receive via e-mail. These people are your friends, and are trying to help you.
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot the fine print that Lackwit so resembles.

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/ebay.asp

Comment:
You are wrong about the eBay information.
I received this notice three times and my son received it once.
I called eBay and they told me it was not from them and to report it to an
URL they supplied me with.

Warren Wright

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes...thanks for sharing all of these emails. I just noticed this section of the boards last Friday, and it is hilarious!

Warren from Dallas

Lackwit

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu:
You forgot the fine print that Lackwit so resembles.

I resemble who now?
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You apparently resemble this

Don't blame me if that got stuck in my memory

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Warning of "invitation" mail. You say if you get this, do not
open and shut your computer off. Then what?

Should the e-mail be deleted first before the computer is turned off? Is
the computer simply re-started? Or here is the big question, do you need
to take it to a computer place and have them remove the e-mail???

The article has left me not knowing what the proper procedure is should
this show up even though I do not open it.

I would appreciate knowing the answer.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You have identified a Microsoft Patch as a REAL hoax. I receive
this warning all the time and I have found out that Microsoft NEVER
contacts a person. Or do you mean you have to go elsewhere for the patch?

My brain hurts.

- snopes

NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, this thread reminds me of the sulfnbk.exe hoax (or something close to that name). My (l)users were convinced this was a genuine virus because they'd check after getting the emailed warning ... and they HAD the file!!! Oooo. Aaaaah.

You know how it is. Your MSN buddies know more about internet security than your IT department.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages