snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » It's true -- I read it on the Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's true -- I read it on the Internet
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You're sick, you know that? You say your all about truth but then you
tell people that they shouldnt do what they can to help other people. For
example you say that the petitions don't help but THAT IS A LIE. It clearly
says IN THE TEST OF THE MESSAGE THAT IT WILL HELP A GOOD CAUSE!!!!!! Why do you
have to discourge people from signing them since obviously the AUTHOR thought
it would help. You should take down the part of your site
(www.snoped2.com/"Inboxer Rebellion" (what kind of an name is that anyway?!))
where you say not to help other people. But apparently you don't care or maybe
YOU WAN'T THEM TO FAIL!! You need to stop or I maybe will start my OWN PETITION
TO SHUT YOU DOWN SO YOU STOP HARMING PEOPLE. Or maybe are you a fan of rape and
the things the people want to stop?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lackwit
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everybody knows that good intentions are all you need!

"Gee, it looked like she needed an emergency tracheotomy to me, I didn't mean to sever her jugular."

"His little dog looked so hungry, so I fed it a few pounds of this baker's chocolate I found in the cupboard."

"Well I was sure that bleach wouldn't hurt the 800-year-old tapestry."

Lesson to learn: A half-assed or inept attempt at helping someone can do a hell of a lot more damage than just leaving well enough alone. Bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fanger

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It clearly
says IN THE TEST OF THE MESSAGE THAT IT WILL HELP A GOOD CAUSE!!!!!!

So the true test of a message is how many people are gullible enough to believe it?

Fan (I also believed the overgrown kitty was real) ger

Baikal
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Baikal   E-mail Baikal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
You should take down the part of your site...where you say not to help other people

Gee snopes, what an ulterior motive...Why exactly do you say that you shouldn't help other people anyway?

quote:
ibid
or maybe YOU WAN'T THEM TO FAIL!!

And one heck of a conspiracy to boot.

-Bai"the secret snopes cabal wants me to fail too, I bet--just my luck"kal

--------------------
I'm just a typical American boy from a typical American town.

Posts: 1463 | From: CU, Boulder Campus | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
tell people that they shouldnt do what they can to help other people. For
example you say that the petitions don't help but THAT IS A LIE. It clearly
says IN THE TEST OF THE MESSAGE THAT IT WILL HELP A GOOD CAUSE!!!!!! Why do you
have to discourge people from signing them since obviously the AUTHOR thought
it would help. You should take down the part of your site
where you say not to help other people. But apparently you don't care or maybe
YOU WAN'T THEM TO FAIL!! You need to stop or I maybe will start my OWN PETITION
TO SHUT YOU DOWN SO YOU STOP HARMING PEOPLE. Or maybe are you a fan of rape and

Obviously there is not one fan of Marshall McLeun (or however the hell he spells his name) on this board who gets the intellectual train of thought being followed here. The Media is the Message, baby.

ross "the masses are asses" dawg

The Evil Nephroid of Freeth!!

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It clearly
says IN THE TEST OF THE MESSAGE THAT IT WILL HELP A GOOD CAUSE!!!!!!

What brilliant logic — "this message tells me so, therefore it must be true"...

quote:

This Idiot Citizen reckons he(?) is an expert at discerning truth — yet is too dumb to know what a pun is????

quote:
You need to stop or I maybe will start my OWN PETITION
TO SHUT YOU DOWN SO YOU STOP HARMING PEOPLE.

Or start a "Make Money Fast" letter so you can raise the funds to shut this site down!

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You should take down the part of your site
(www.snoped2.com/"Inboxer Rebellion"

Not to worry, snopes, this person is looking at the snoped site, not yours.

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Poets Fire

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
tell people that they shouldnt do what they can to help other people.

Clearly a secret message from an admirer, taking every second word:

"You're you that say all truth ..."

Yes, you ARE you and you are the you that does tell the truth...

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 96 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: the story about the couple that sued an insurance company for child support after accidentally having sex by getting bumped by another car is true because i read it in a book called the world dumbest criminals.
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 212 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: the story about the couple that sued an insurance company for child support after accidentally having sex by getting bumped by another car is true because i read it in a book called the world dumbest criminals.

Can we feature you in a book called "World's Dumbest Commenters"?

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Otter of our Discontent

quote:
Or maybe are you a fan of rape and

Yeah! Don't you how many rapists are stopped due to petitions every year?

"Um, excuse me, Mr. Rapist, I know you're about to rape that young woman, but we collected 1000 signatures saying that you shouldn't."

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: the story about the bridein the trunk is true i have the book
that says so. apperintly her and the groom where playing hind in go seek
during there hony moon and she dicided to hid in a trunk in the attic and
she was accedently lock inside. the groom look all aroud the house for her
and started getting scared so she had all the house staff help look for
her. no one ever found her till those guys opened the trunk like 100 years
later. thats a trgic story.

kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 203 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How old was this bride? 12? Oh, wait, everyone plays hide and seek on their honeymoons. I did, didn't you?

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You need to stop or I maybe will start my OWN PETITION TO SHUT YOU DOWN SO YOU STOP HARMING PEOPLE.
snicker

G'wan, go ahead! I dare you!

Shoe("What're you gonna do, capslock snopes to death?")box

The Otter of our Discontent

I'm always amused by people that think that if you get enough names on a petition, it becomes a legally binding document, and you MUST do what the petition asks.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: HI,
i was looking at a particular article with the digging crew drilling into
the gates of hell. i believe it to be true. you just have a bit piece of
information. but you dont have the whole article for readers to decide if
this is real or not. i went on another site where they have the whole
article on it and they also have the audio. maybe you should have it on
this site too for readers to make that decision for themselves. and your
not giving the full story. you probably mixed it up a bit with another
story. please write back to me if you can and please update this article
because it havent been updates for over five years. Thank you [Smile] .

Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, go to the gates of hell!

No, really. That way, you can tell us if the article is true. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Oh, go to the gates of hell!

Why not? We are..... Rodin Gates of Hell

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
you probably mixed it up a bit with another
story.

The commenter must be referring to the death of Urkel...I swear you can hear, in the creepy, ghoulish strains of those tortured souls on the audio, if you listen very carefully, "Did I do that?"

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm the wondermuppet:
How old was this bride? 12? Oh, wait, everyone plays hide and seek on their honeymoons. I did, didn't you?

Read the comment again. They were playing "HIND in go seek." Which I did, in fact, play on my "hony moon." [fish]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing everyone in the "bridein the trunk" was deaf so they didn't hear the thumping from the trunk?

Or was it was of those soundproof trunks?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It helps that the versions I've read all take place in one massive manor house or another, with many, many rooms (also a convenient excuse for random oaken chests lying around).

Our fey heroine naturally heads all the way out to the far reaches in her quest for the ultimate hiding place, possibly in a little-used storage room or similar, and hey presto! Insta-Mummy of the Bride. Or at least, long before her rescuers think of looking there.

(I seem to recall also that at least one version provides insurance in the form of a smart bang on the head, either from the lid or a fall as she goes in.)

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And then a casket of rum leaks into the chest, combining two nasty ULs into one.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages