snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » The Demon-Haunted Computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Demon-Haunted Computer
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i've never even HEARD of a gel candle, but i like candles. how do i know if they're gel or wax? do they look different? how?
now you've got me all nervous!
and how about gel pens? shall i start an urban legend about them exploding? a while back you had an item about liquids exploding in a microwave, and it indeed IS TRUE. i have twice had a cup of coffee blow up on me. fortunately i didn't get burned, but i had a mess to clean up. both times they blew up while the door was still closed.

my computer is evil.
don't send it any attachments.
don't open any from it.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The perverted Scarlet Collector
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the red text part of the email?

I think you accidentally received an email from an employee of the Urban Legends Creation Organization to his boss.

-Fallom "The truth is out there"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
muas

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just a coincidence that the font name of the red text is "Jokerman"?
Sonja with a J

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
i've never even HEARD of a gel candle, but i like candles. how do i know if they're gel or wax? do they look different? how?

Well, the gel candle is gel and the wax candle is wax

Sonja "hope that clears that up for you" with a J

Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
now you've got me all nervous!
Why, shame on you, snopes!!!
quote:
my computer is evil.
don't send it any attachments.
don't open any from it.

So we've gone from gel candles to gel pens to exploding coffee to a possessed computer. The logic is really hanging together well here

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I love Urban ledgens but Im also afraid of them,when I get in the car I ALLWAYS look in the back seat first!!!
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I love Urban ledgens but Im also afraid of them,when I get in the car I ALLWAYS look in the back seat first!!!

Simple solution - Buy a motorcycle

Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IrateDwarf - Nuff Said:
Simple solution - Buy a motorcycle

or a truck... but then, you'll have to check for illegal immigrants hanging underneath...

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to look in the back seat first then get into the car?

Also, who else here would pay good money to see this person try jumping to their car from 5 or 6 feet away so the under-the-car ankle slasher doesn't attack?

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Urban ledgens but Im also afraid of them,when I get in the car I ALLWAYS look in the back seat first!!!

Sincerely,

A guy who rides a rollercoaster to work.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Somehow I put the word snopes across the whole screen when I only
wanted it on the desktop. How do I get rid of it????

Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Somehow I put the word snopes across the whole screen when I only
wanted it on the desktop. How do I get rid of it????

You just better hope it doesn't want to get rid of you ...

Of course, it may already be too late. In which case, computer screens will be the least of your worries ...

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE tell me how to get rid of the Snopes logo
that covers my screen!!!!!!! All I wanted was the little icon to easily
reach Snopes and I have that as well as the whole screen covered. I have
spent hours trying to get back to a normal screen and can't do it.

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Does Barbara know you spend time in random back seats?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE tell me how to get rid of the Snopes logo
that covers my screen!!!!!!! All I wanted was the little icon to easily
reach Snopes and I have that as well as the whole screen covered. I have
spent hours trying to get back to a normal screen and can't do it.

snopes, it's time to initiate Phase 2 of the plan. Unleash the naked mole rats!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There is a huge Yellow SNOPES.COM on my desktop and I cannot seem
to remove it. Please help me.

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, another zombie thread. It's really weird to read back through these things going "hey, whatever happened to..." on the way to the new stuff.

quote:

Close your eyes. Better?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The screen needs washing, take it to your bath (use an extension cord if your plug won't reach) and give it a thorough bath.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What a moron. Everyone knows that you look UNDER the car first to make sure no one's going to reach out and slash your ankles.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is an Urban ledgen? Does it bite? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The screen needs washing
http://www.theslurps.com

- snopes

Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the outside of the screen that gets dirty, not the inside.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: in downloading your webpage I inadvertantly clicked on one of
your selections and instead of placing your icon as a shortcut on my
desktop such as you show on your webpage heading (a large icon a 1 1/2 x 3
3/4 retangle showing snopes.com). I cannot operate, move or remove this
and I do not want this particular item on my desktop Please advise how to
remove it.

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: in downloading your webpage I inadvertantly clicked on one of
your selections and instead of placing your icon as a shortcut on my
desktop such as you show on your webpage heading (a large icon a 1 1/2 x 3
3/4 retangle showing snopes.com). I cannot operate, move or remove this
and I do not want this particular item on my desktop Please advise how to
remove it.

ALL YOUR DESKTOP ARE BELONG TO US
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You guys laugh, but I have personally found a few urban ledgens in my own back seat! Not only are they SCARY, but they also leave big stains behind when you shovel them out... God only KNOWS what one of those things would do if I inadvertently drove off with one still in the car.

I've heard the mountain ledgens aren't quite so disrespectful.

--------------------
We criticize a thinker more sharply when he presents us with a displeasing proposition; and yet it would be more reasonable to do this when his proposition pleases us.
--Nietzsche

Posts: 85 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I am unable to use site. Click on something never comes up and turns my
webtv off??? Any idea's

Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I am unable to use site. Click on something never comes up and turns my
webtv off??? Any idea's

The 'power' button on the remote shouldn't be used to click on something.

~Psihala
(*And I can't for the life of me find 'click on something' on any page I've found on this site.)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Mr. Gates, Its been a few years since your last visit to my
Kingdom Of Bhutan, may I introduce myself again, although we have met,
I am married to the Uncle of His Majesty King Jigme Singhey Wangchuk,
and we met at several funtions in your short stay here !! Mr.Gates I
have to report the behaviour of your Microsoft Internet Explorer as a
whole Entity?? I am sorry to have to bring this to your notice, but
even knowing I am from the Royal Family and a Princess ,I have made
Hotmail.com my Home-Page since I started using the Computer, but recently
am facing open hostility from whoever is in charge ?? Error Reports
for no reason at all,No reason for continual shutdowns and deterring me
from getting anywhere fast , I have threatened them, and used bad
language to try and stir them up to be a friendly- site, but I am
knocking on a Brick-Wall!!!! I hear you are pulling out of this
tricky Business ?? Could you just have a word with the concerned Parties,
because a lot of people, and I know a lot of them are leaving the
site for similar reasons they are interfereing with peoples lives, and
there is no Privacy anymore , I hope you and Belinda will visit
us soon again in Bhutan and I am sorry but this behaviour is so
infuriating,and I am sorry for having to worry you , Thank you in advance

Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That has got to be the politest lunatic rant I've ever read.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Suddenly I got an 8 page printout from my printer from
http://www.snopes.com/info/whatsnew.rss I don't want any rss feeds. And
I could find anything on the snopes home page on how to stop it. Or even
how to start it.

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I think I work with these people. Well, not these specific people. The ones I'm thinking of would never actually visit snopes.com in the first place.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... when I first came to snopes and read the bit about ankle slashers I would always kick a random can or bottle under the car from several feet away. If it came out the other side it was fine, if I heard an "oww" I went back into the store.

I also found that keeping the back of my car full of empty fastfood bags and assorted boxes helped with keeping killers out of the backseat

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Larararara
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Larararara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Melinda Gates knows that Bill is two-timing her with that trollop Belinda?

--------------------
I used to be a snopester...but my old login has gone the way of the legendary stolen kidneys.

Posts: 13 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages