snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Ministry of the Humor-Impaired

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ministry of the Humor-Impaired
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 01 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is this true? The below story supposedly came from the Taiwan Daily
Gazette and was written by staff writer One Wing Lo. Can you verify?

In a heroic dogfight fought over international waters off the mainland China
coast, a 1960s-era American-built Lockheed Electra propeller airliner with 24
US Navy passengers/observers aboard chewed up one of China's best
state-of-the-art supersonic fighter aircraft.

The Americans utilizing the infrequently seen combat tactic of straight and
level flight, often accomplished by relying solely on autopilot, engaged the
unfortunate single seat combat jet and knocked it out of the air using only one
of its four formidable rotating air mass propellers.

After the action, the crew and passengers/observers dropped in on China's
Hainan Island Resort, for some much deserved R&R as guests of the Chinese
government.

Reprinted from the Taiwan Daily Gazette by staff writer One Wing Lo

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the writer One Wing Lo gets all the airplane crash stories!!! What an ignorant load of NFBSK!
I have also seen a similiar story which is written in the same manner where the chinese pilot is referred to as Wong Way.

People grow up.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lackwit the Giant Toaster Oven

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rossdawg:
I wonder if the writer One Wing Lo gets all the airplane crash stories!!! What an ignorant load of NFBSK!
I have also seen a similiar story which is written in the same manner where the chinese pilot is referred to as Wong Way.

People grow up.

Um, rossdawg, the pilot's name really was Wang Wei. There's a thread about it here.

rossdawg

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, like I said, this stupid fake news story I read said his name was "Wong Way" like a person who speaks English as a second language saying "Wrong Way" and can't pronounce the R, like it was a joke.
It is all pretty ignorant.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello,
I realy think this web-site is funny but it should be easier to find the really
funny ones,
for example,the humor category is not(all) very humorus!
Well,Sorry that u read this,
I guess it's poitless!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but is it pointless and lanme?
Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Any info on the truth of this?

Hillary Clinton goes to a primary school in Ithaca, New York, to talk about the world.

After her talk she offers question time. One little boy puts up his hand, and the Senator asks him what his name is.

"Richard", replied the little boy.

"And what is your question, Richard?"

"I have three questions:
1. Whatever happened to your medical health care plan?
2. Why would you run for President after your husband shamed the office?
3. Whatever happened to all those things you took when you left the White House?"

Just then the bell rings for recess. Hillary Clinton informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess.

When they resume Hillary says "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right, question time. Who has a question?"

A different little boy puts his hand up.

Hillary points him out & asks him what his name is.

"My name is George."

"And what is your question, George?"

"I have 5 questions:
1. Whatever happened to your medical health care plan?
2. Why would you run for President after your husband shamed the office?
3. Whatever happened to all those things you took when you left the White House?
4. Why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early?
5. What happened to Richard?"

Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would venture a guess as to the political orientation of the originator of that joke.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
I would venture a guess as to the political orientation of the originator of that joke.

Clueless? Is clueless a political orientation?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:

I think it was about Bush the younger the first time I read it.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You have an error in the TITLE on the below page. The title says
"Grift Card" instead of "Gift Card."

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember The Gifters, with John Cusack and Melanie Griffin? Why don't they make movies like that anymore?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just ran across your Urban Legends page while looking for a
crossword puzzle answer. (A P&G product- The answer was Gleam)) I
remembered the hoopla about the logo a few years back and decided to read
the article. When I was finished, I thought I'd go to the logo shown to
see if It could be enlarged as I don't see well. As soon as I touched my
cursor to it, a little pop-up thingy came up that said "Worship me". I was
rather shocked and decided to see if the little cartoon showed anything,
and it did. That one poped up with "Satan rules".
I'm sure you didn't put it there yourself and that someone has done
something to your web page. I don't know much about computers, but I've
heard about hackers and such. I just thought you ought to know and would
want to fix it right away.

Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now click & verify your financial information HERE or your crosswords will be destroyed!

P.s. They have crossword dictionaries for that...duh.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get a kick out of those picture jokes (is there a term for those things? I'm sure there is, I'm just not that computer literate).

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: You have an error in the TITLE on the below page. The title says
"Grift Card" instead of "Gift Card."

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

snopes failed to mention we've had *numerous* people write to tell us about this misspelling. Some have been polite, some have been kindly, some have been helpful, and some have outright demanded that the error be fixed immediately.

Barbara "under a bad spell" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Santa will bring the "Grift" gripers dictionaries for Christmas.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And if he did, those happy recipients would still do nothing other than photocopy the entry for 'gift' and mail it to me.

Let me tell you about 'just deserts' sometime and all the mail we get about that.

Barbara "before you ask" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you changed grift to gift, you'd have people writing to complain. I guess all you can do is keep on doing things your way (oh, who's website was this again, oh yeah) and just ignore the nay-sayers.

Do post the ones demanding that it be fixed in we've got mail. They sound entertaining. [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hi,
This is a question of concern regarding a forwarded e-mail I just
received. It is titled "Redneck Timeout". It is a picture of an infant
"duct taped" to a wall with her stuffed duck taped next to her. It is
obvious child abuse and then served up on the internet as a "joke". I
would like to forward this to you or to an organization that can act upon
this. I do not know if it is even possible to find out where things like
this originate. Can you advise? If you send an e-mail address I will
forward it to you for the purpose of investigation.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages