snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » My Jesus can beat up your facts (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My Jesus can beat up your facts
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: The candy cane is very symbolic to Christianity. I am sorry that
you do not feel that you can relate the candy cane to our Lord and Savior.

This is my blood, this is my body, the candy cane is my... erm...
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 607 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Your article about the truth about where cany canes came from.
Bah humbug to you to. Why the heck should I believe you any more than I
believe Christians? If Christians want to use it as a symbol of
Jesus,what does it matter. You are an example of what is wrong with modern
soceity, your two damb sensitive. toughen up.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zero Driver
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Zero Driver   E-mail Zero Driver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
your two damb sensitive. toughen up.

Hey, you're the person getting upset over Candy Canes...

--------------------
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit! -The Tick

Posts: 19 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Your article about the truth about where cany canes came from.

Yo mama! (Oh, that wasn't an insult?)

And what are cany canes? Anything like a man's man?

quote:
Bah humbug to you to.
To my where?

quote:
Why the heck should I believe you any more than I believe Christians?
It has something to do with the whole cites business. We tend to back up our research. A lot of people who believe this crap tend to ... well, be lying.

quote:
If Christians want to use it as a symbol of Jesus,what does it matter.
Ummm, because one of the basic tenets of Christianity is about telling the truth, and by encouraging this story, Christians are lying, therefore committing sin and putting their eternal souls at risk. Is a delicious piece of candy really worth your eternal soul? I should hope not.

quote:
You are an example of what is wrong with modern soceity, your two damb sensitive. toughen up.
We're "two damb" sensitive"? You're going out of your way to defend a story that you acknolwedge may be fake, and saying snopes is what's wrong with society, simply because he has the gall to point out the baselessness of this story, and we're too sensitive? Physician, you have a new patient: Yourself.

ETA: two damb is certainly better than one dumb.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
your two damb sensitive

Both of those damb sensitive are mine. Keep your grubby paws off them.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: re Candy cane story funny how you can say its false when books
are published with the same story I have heard many years example Zonder
Kids book publishing compan y has this year for sale J is for Jesus the
sweetest story ever told check this out

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: re Candy cane story funny how you can say its false when books
are published with the same story I have heard many years example Zonder
Kids book publishing compan y has this year for sale J is for Jesus the
sweetest story ever told check this out

Because we all know that children's books print nothing but the truth. I mean, I do so like green eggs and ham, even though it's given me food poisoning, like, 20 times. But, hey, if Sam-I-Am says they're good, they must be!

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 606 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You first should have your facts straight before you tell a lie
on your website. the candy cane was first made by agustus but was not red
striped or bent. it was straight. The candy cane we have today with the
stripes and the crook was designed by a man in Indiana who wanted to make
it know about Jesus. You are a sad person who would try and take Jesus out
of Christmas and away from children. I will no longer read your filth.

robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
translation - Your website disagrees with what I've heard, therefore you're wrong, period, because what I've heard must be right.

And of course, you're heathen, Christ-mocking, Satan worshipping sinners that are going straight to hell and won't have to wait in line with the other folks, because anything that doesn't praise Jesus in all his glory for every single thing no matter whether it's related or not, is Satanic.

My God. Next thing you know you'll be telling us Pepsi doesn't hate God and that Madelyn Murray O'hare (sic, because they almost always spell it wrong) isn't currently trying to remove "Touched by an Angel" off television. What? She's been dead since the 1990's? What does that have to do with anything? It's still what I heard, so it must be true!!!!!

Robbiev -I wouldn't mind being touched by Roma Downey- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 37 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sitting here at work...looking through a bag of candy one of the bosses gave me yesterday, I find a candycane that has red, yellow, blue, and green stripes (seriously).

I wonder what that means?

Maybe: Jesus found blood in his urine while peeing in the grass on a clear day?

Any thoughts?

ETA: an AWOL "w"

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The candy cane we have today with the
stripes and the crook was designed by a man in Indiana who wanted to make
it know about Jesus.

See, that's the problem with pCm's. When this guy wanted to make sure the candy knew about Jesus, he beat it til it was half covered in blood and then broke it's neck. I wonder if he even tried to have a conversation with it.

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
Sitting here at work...looking through a bag of candy one of the bosses gave me yesterday, I find a candycane that has red, yellow, blue, and green stripes (seriously).

I wonder what that means?

You have obviously been given a false candy cane by your evil boss trying to lead you astray. It is probably fruit-flavored, too, and we all know what that means.

You should quit your job and start repenting, NOW!

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: the article about John Micheal Montgomery's song "the little
girl" put a tear in my eye. This song touched me deeply because a lot of
kids do not know what other kids go through. I have a good life, after
looking back on the rumor made me want to visit little children. Thank
You, you touched me greatly.

Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: the article about John Micheal Montgomery's song "the little girl" put a tear in my eye. This song touched me deeply because a lot of kids do not know what other kids go through. I have a good life, after looking back on the rumor made me want to visit little children. Thank You, you touched me greatly

Signed,

Michael Jackson

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: To Whom it May Concern,
I agree that the orgin of the candy cane is not traced back to
Indiana. I'm afraid a few people have twisted the story to their liking.
It is also seems to be true that candy canes were first white. Despite
your revelation of truths there are some very serious gliches on your
write up. The largest does not help your argument in the least and is
unsupported by research. Santa is not a myth. The character is based on
St. Nicholas of Turkey. He is celebrated today in England. The
Reformation brought about different celebratory focuses and time has added
twists, just as in the story of the candy cane. If the story of the candy
cane is more false than the obvious twists I first listed, why do you not
give more evidence that it is truly unChristian? It seems you don't know
where the candy cane really came from, so you play it off by saying that
most people don't think about it. Right you are, but none the less it is
wrong to discredit the fact that Christian symbology is in this candy
treat. You can't discredit some things about Christianity no matter how
many sorces you sight! Merry CHRISTmas!

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: To Whom it May Concern,
I agree that the orgin of the candy cane is not traced back to
Indiana. I'm afraid a few people have twisted the story to their liking.
It is also seems to be true that candy canes were first white. Despite
your revelation of truths there are some very serious gliches on your
write up. The largest does not help your argument in the least and is
unsupported by research. Santa is not a myth. The character is based on
St. Nicholas of Turkey. He is celebrated today in England. The
Reformation brought about different celebratory focuses and time has added
twists, just as in the story of the candy cane. If the story of the candy
cane is more false than the obvious twists I first listed, why do you not
give more evidence that it is truly unChristian? It seems you don't know
where the candy cane really came from, so you play it off by saying that
most people don't think about it. Right you are, but none the less it is
wrong to discredit the fact that Christian symbology is in this candy
treat. You can't discredit some things about Christianity no matter how
many sorces you sight! Merry CHRISTmas!

I just love how a lunatic fringe has made "Merry Christmas" an epithet to be yelled (or snarled) at evil heathen.

[Eek!]

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Santa is not a myth. The character is based on St. Nicholas of Turkey.
So being "based on" a real person makes you no longer a myth? Wow do you realize how many literary characters are no longer myths by this logic?

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 606 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: http://ri.essortment.com/historycandyca_rlai.htm

The info represented as false is, indeed, false. The facts at this site
are true. Sorry to all the haters out there, but the candy cane is
Christian in origin.

Ratboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

are true.

We have already established that what's false is false. However, the information at that site differs from the truth, and is therefore false. A falsity is not true. If it's true it's not false. That's not so difficult to understand, is it?
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment:
You liberal trashy anti-Christian losers are known to be liars and only
spreading so-called "truths" that you agree on. Facts are a secondary
priority.

You have been contacted many times to change your all-out lies regarding
several of your stories, but simply choose to ignore those who contact
you. Ok, go to sleep knowing you are both sleazy, stinky (I'm certain),
fat ass (I'm also certain), uneducated (certain of that, too) LIARS.

Shurimon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Candy canes are apparently serious business now. Wow. I had no idea so many people could take umbrage at the origins of a peppermint stick...

quote:
Ok, go to sleep knowing you are both sleazy, stinky (I'm certain),

Oh dear! Snopes, how can you sleep at night knowing you're hated by such top-notch insulters? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You have an Urban legend listed as false which is true. It is
about the Nasa team using the scripture from Joshua to correct errors in
tracking the shuttle. While the facts and names that have come through in
this legend are not accurate, the stroy is correct. You see, my father
who worked for Nasa was the Nasa consultant who went
tothe bible study and made this sugesstion and change in the computer
tracking program. PLease feel free to contact me for the correct data for
htis story. I appreciate your research, but this particular story was
researched incorrectly.

Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While the facts and names that have come through in this legend are not accurate, the stroy is correct.

Well, the stroy may be correct...but Merriam-Webster tells me it's obsolete:
quote:
Main Entry: stroy
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English stroyen, short for destroyen
obsolete : DESTROY

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: You have an Urban legend listed as false which is true. It is
about the Nasa team using the scripture from Joshua to correct errors in
tracking the shuttle. While the facts and names that have come through in
this legend are not accurate, the stroy is correct. You see, my father
who worked for Nasa was the Nasa consultant who went
tothe bible study and made this sugesstion and change in the computer
tracking program. PLease feel free to contact me for the correct data for
htis story. I appreciate your research, but this particular story was
researched incorrectly.

Call this person's bluff, snopes. I wouldn't mind having a little fun today.

(ETA quote)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Santa is not a myth. The character is based on St. Nicholas of Turkey.

When asked to perform as Santa for a multi-ethnic mid-winter party, I research a number of mythologies to see whether the "jolly, gift-giver / implacable judge" figure is a common archetype. Sure enough, this character shows up in MANY pre-Christian beliefs:
Norse: Jolly Odin, bringer of prosperity / Dark Nicanor, bringer of chaos
Roman: Jolly Jupiter, bringer of mirth and flinger of lightning bolts
Sicilian pagan: The Grandmother, who fills the stockings of good children with treats and leaves a lump of coal for the brats
Hindu: Durga, bringer of blessings and is also Kali, the Destroyer
Plains Indian (authochthones) : Coyote, the benevolent creator and mischeivous prankster
and, of course
Saint Nicholas, rewarder of the devout, but is attended by Black Peter, who tweaks the naughty and dumps the truly recalcitrant into his bag (which apparently contains a portal to Hell).

I could NOT find such a character in Jewish tradition. My Jewish boss explained it: "We are not really a "jolly" people..."

Finally, I note that the candy cane, sweet and pious symbol of the season, can be sucked to a point sharp enough to hold up a gas station.

It's the yin and yang thing, wrought in sugar.

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment:
priority.

ahhhhhhhhh, the classic I have no real argument so I'm going to resort to name calling tactic. An oldie but a goodie. Why do I keep thinking this was written by Pred Pelps?

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment:
priority.

Ouch. We've been collectively pwned.

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, go to sleep knowing you are both sleazy, stinky (I'm certain), fat ass (I'm also certain), uneducated (certain of that, too) LIARS.

Perhaps, but are they also dum-dum poopy heads?

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: It is understandable that you don't want the article on candy
canes "reproduced without permission". I find it strange that your facts
about candy canes are taken from, for the most part, newspapers who have
the reputaion of misrepresenting anything that they don't agree with. As
long as it sells newpapers, who cares wether it's the truth or not. Now
you're stating things as facts on unreliable information. I assure you I
won't be looking at your site again and that I willl mention it to my
friends that do.

Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so once again, we are talking about the spiritual significance of candy canes, here, right?

Those little twisty vaguely pepperminty candies that come in boxes of, like, 500, of which half are broken? The ones that, when somebody brings a box into work, you're still stuck with a bunch of random stale ones rattling 'round on top of a filing cabinet until April?

...Wow. It's really not often you run into the phrase 'get a life' so elegantly illustrated.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
newspapers who have
the reputaion of misrepresenting anything that they don't agree with. As
long as it sells newpapers, who cares wether it's the truth or not.

As opposed to those impeccable sources of truth, children's books such as J Is for Jesus.

- snopes

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 208 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, so once again, we are talking about the spiritual significance of candy canes, here, right?
How dare you try to take the Christ out of peppermint sticks!

- snopes

Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: http://ri.essortment.com/historycandyca_rlai.htm

are true. Sorry to all the haters out there, but the candy cane is
Christian in origin.

You mean the site that says
quote:
Legend states the beginnings of the candy cane are Christian.
Don "just asking" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How dare you try to take the Christ out of peppermint sticks!

I also like to take the Christ out of icicle. And jingle bells.

But not out of egg nog. Some good Jesus in egg nog makes the holidays worthwhile.

--------------------

Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy, now I feel totally guilty for letting the little guys go all stale like that...not to mention the time my Mom accidentally packed some away with the ornaments and they liquefied in their plastic wrap, like little pepperminty Freezies. Weird.

(Hey, if I drink liquefied candy-cane, do I get any bonus faith points? I'm thinking this could really revolutionise midnight Mass.)

Except, come to think of it, the pina colada-flavoured ones. Pretty sure those suckers were about Satan testing the believers again, or something. The root-beer ones were maybe an intermediate test.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages