snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » My Jesus can beat up your facts (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My Jesus can beat up your facts
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Excuse me sir, but you might actually need to check a few
of YOUR facts. I am thrilled to know that you know so much about some poor
missionary's disease in a foreign country, and how people asking for prayer for
anything could be classified as a hoax!
Ya' know what? I prefer to take a little bit of a "chance"
and just go ahead and show my support for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by
actually forwarding some of these things.
Just like we may not "know" everything, I feel sure that the
same is true of your knowledge as well. At least what we choose to "jumble" up
the internet with is defending our
Lord. Thanks again for the time you have taken to enlighten us...but please do
not bother to jumble OUR internet experience with your knowledge of "things"
the world over!!!
Please DO NO respond to this as we prefer to keep our e-mail
inbox free of hoax's. Thank you!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This post reminds me of something a good friend of mine likes to say: "God gave you a brain- USE it!"

quote:
Thanks again for the time you have taken to enlighten us...but please do not bother to jumble OUR internet experience with your knowledge of "things" the world over!!!

Also, the above sentence confuses me. They thank you for enlightening them, but they are also calling you a hoaxster.

Sigh. people like this make my head hurt.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitap:
This post reminds me of something a good friend of mine likes to say: "God gave you a brain- USE it!"

Yes, but they're all small... less than 4 pounds. The universe just won't fit in there.

ham "using 11% today" bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DataAngel
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DataAngel   Author's Homepage   E-mail DataAngel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
I prefer to take a little bit of a "chance" and just go ahead and show my support for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by actually forwarding some of these things.

See, the last time I checked the bible, it said god didn't keep score and didn't appreciate people preaching and spreading the word and bragging about what a good christian they are.

--------------------
Me: So you’re saying Lucas is really an Ewok and was projecting his own ideas of god onto Anthony Daniels in a plastic hat.

E: Sure, if it will end this conversation, yes.

Posts: 1272 | From: Delusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bryan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...and how people asking for prayer for

and

Let me get this right: They don't mind receiving hoaxes and subsequently forwarding them but they prefer to keep their inbox free from hoaxes. Uh, which is it?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Let me get this right: They don't mind receiving hoaxes and subsequently forwarding them but they prefer to keep their inbox free from hoaxes. Uh, which is it?

It's the Outbox that's full of the hoaxes.

Chava

dunxie

quote:
Originally posted by bryan:

Translation: he only wants to receive hoaxes that he LIKES. The "pray for this person and pass it on" glurge make him feel like he's doing something very good for the world, with very little actual effort on his part. God forbid someone interrupt his feel-good prayer for Jessica Mydek with the info that she never existed. Y'd think the debunkings on Snopes might make him grateful that he can avoid wasting his time on non-existent causes, but nooOOOOooo, he'd rather pray for that missing child just in case, even though the kid was found 15 minutes after the email was sent out, and that was 5 years ago. "I'm aware it might be fake, but I'd rather stay stupid for the sake of Jesus." RRRGH. Y'really wanna support your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, buddy? Go VOLUNTEER! Don't "jumble up the internet with defense of the Lord," pry yourself off your duff and actually go do some work. Spend time at a shelter for abused wives and kids. Help organize a food drive. Volunteer your weekends at a children's hospital. Raise a pup for one of the Helper Dog programs. DO something! DON'T blast the ULRP for trying to stem the flow of worthless misinformation. At least they're doing their OWN part trying to make this world a little better.

dunx "what's that shadow in the background there? Looks like a little guy hanging from a noose..." ie

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/xmas/12days.htm

Comment: RE: The Twelve Days of Christmas and other forms that truth may take.

The truth of the bible and faith is God's love for His people. It's not
historic truth that can be born out by emperical research. I don't believe that
anybody fabricated the "Twelve Days" origin out of thin air. If anything,
their research may have been biased by their faith beliefs. However, I see
just as strong an antireligious bias in the words of the debunker.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Antireligious bias? What I'm seeing is an anti-misinformation bias, nothing more.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

"Jesus is just alright with me, oh yeah"

Melandry

quote:
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/xmas/12days.htm

Comment: RE: The Twelve Days of Christmas and other forms that truth may take.

The truth of the bible and faith is God's love for His people. It's not
historic truth that can be born out by emperical research. I don't believe that
anybody fabricated the "Twelve Days" origin out of thin air. If anything,
their research may have been biased by their faith beliefs. However, I see
just as strong an antireligious bias in the words of the debunker.

Ok, so the truth of faith cannot be born out by empirical research, but at the same time 1) this person thinks someone actually did research to come up with the 12 days of Christmas thing. Why would they? Faith doesn't need empirical research?
2) All other knowledge in the universe does. They can assert the truth of their faith without research, but you must do research to try and prove anything wrong, which will not only be flawed by your anti-religious bias, but will also run up against the catch-22 that faith defies empirical research.

So basically, you're screwed no matter what, because if you were to simply state "no it's not true" with no justification, the way they're asserting "yes it is true", they'd just laugh at you and ask you to prove it, then say their faith defies your proof.

This is giving me a headache. Attitudes like these are the reason I long ago gave up on changing anyone's mind, especially about hot-button issues like abortion, homosexual rights, etc.

Mel"Let's hope they don't find the candy cane page"andry

Marian

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Excuse me sir, but you might actually need to check a few
of YOUR facts

Because OF COURSE the person who writes this site MUST be male. After all, women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. Right Barbara? LOL

quote:
I am thrilled to know that you know so much about some poor
missionary's disease in a foreign country, and how people asking for prayer for

Subtle sarcasm that.
However, lets look at this somewhat seriously. Assuming that prayer has *any* value, wouldn't the time put into that effort be better spent, oh I don't know...praying for something that had meaning?

Of course, this is assuming that God is not aware of these situations, nor motivated to do anything about them until a certain number of people pray in supplication. "Oops" said God, "my bad."

quote:

OK, the day that Jesus Christ lets you know that He personally wishes that you show your devotion by spamming people's e-mails...let me know. Mmkay.

quote:
Just like we may not "know" everything

No! Really? Gee I thought your letter already made that clear.

quote:
I feel sure that the
Lord. Thanks again for the time you have taken to enlighten us...but please do
not bother to jumble OUR internet experience with your knowledge of "things"
the world over!!!

Translation: We like being ignorant dammit! May the Lord smite your heathen site.

quote:

Translation: Don't respond. I know my argument is pathetic and a 5 year old could poke more holes through it then swiss cheese.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gayjesus.htm

Comment: You were wrong about the movie coming out portraying Jesus as a homosexual. The movie did come out and has caused a lot of controversey. If one is to trust your site as being accurate, than you need to know what you're talking about.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Greetings. I visited your website to find out if the Alaska Airline
crash story had any truth in it. I found the article in your "glurge gallery."
I must add that the final comment about the public being outraged at a
"commercial for Jesus" was entirely uncalled for -- and particularly odious and
hypocritical from a website with all sorts of hyperlinks for ads. I'm outraged
at having to deal with that monkey flashing across my screen, certainly not a
mention of Jesus and people hearing the Gospel on a plane doomed to crash.
Haven't you ever heard of the religious game theory, smarty pants? What did
they have to lose, if the Gospel is true? What do people lose by hearing the
mention of Jesus?

Frankly, people visit your website for the facts, not your personal opinions
about Jesus. I'm not referring anyone else to your atheistic website and I hope
you get shut down.

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. . . I hope you get shut down.

Nice to know the First Amendment is strong and healthy among the devout.

Silas (at least I don't have to quarter troops in my home) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DataAngel
Xboxing Day

Icon 23 posted      Profile for DataAngel   Author's Homepage   E-mail DataAngel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gayjesus.htm

Comment: You were wrong about the movie coming out portraying Jesus as a homosexual. The movie did come out and has caused a lot of controversey. If one is to trust your site as being accurate, than you need to know what you're talking about.

But do they give a name, date, cast, or anything?

--------------------
Me: So you’re saying Lucas is really an Ewok and was projecting his own ideas of god onto Anthony Daniels in a plastic hat.

E: Sure, if it will end this conversation, yes.

Posts: 1272 | From: Delusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dunxie

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DataAngel:

But do they give a name, date, cast, or anything?

No! But it really DID come out, really, trust me on this! And fix the site to reflect this obvious fact!

dunx "it's soooooo true" ie

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: God loves YOU!!!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i can't get the research i need on this web site...therefore, it stinks!!!
rossdawg

quote:
Comment: i can't get the research i need on this web site...therefore, it stinks!!!

Where are the NFBSKing stock quotes?

christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm guessing God has now turned into Barney?

Or else they just read the Glurge Gallery on the message board, and figured that you need all the help you can get.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom-Tzu

quote:

Haven't you ever heard of the religious game theory, smarty pants? What did
they have to lose, if the Gospel is true? What do people lose by hearing the
mention of Jesus?

Yay. Pascal's Wager. What it omits is the possibility that the Gospel is not just wrong, but perversely wrong: what if believing in it is the only way to go to a nasty afterworld, while doubting it is a guarantee of eternal pleasure? There are more possibilities than the ones mentioned in the original wager...

tdn

Icon 01 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Right back a ya, smarty pants.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In reference to:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp

Whoever wrote this is obviously anti-Christianity.

It appears that he/she has searched hard to find something to disprove the
statements made in the article in question. This is not objective
reporting. It is inaccurate, in my opinion.

Otherwise, I enjoy your website and find it useful.

Super Geek

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just like we may not "know" everything, I feel sure that the
Lord.

Maybe I don't have any "facts" to back me up. I don't use "logic" in my arguments, I don't conduct any "research" on my position. Maybe I ignore "reality" and "common sense", but dernit, Jesus loves me!

super"I'm Bennet Brauer"geek

fallentears

quote:
This is not objective reporting.

There really isn't any objective reporting. No one can totally be free of a bias toward a subject.
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I must add that the final comment about the public being outraged at a
"commercial for Jesus" was entirely uncalled for -- and particularly odious and
hypocritical from a website with all sorts of hyperlinks for ads. I'm outraged
at having to deal with that monkey flashing across my screen, certainly not a
mention of Jesus and people hearing the Gospel on a plane doomed to crash.

Umm, maybe you need Adaware? I don't see a monkey, and I'd be willing to wager that you monkey is on every website you visit.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 95 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What do people lose by hearing the mention of Jesus?

Their lunch?

--------------------
"Danger is a good teacher, and makes apt scholars. So are disgrace, defeat, exposure to immediate scorn and laughter."
- William Hazlitt; _Table-Talk: Essays On Men And Manners_

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm outraged
at having to deal with that monkey flashing across my screen

That has a certain mental imagry to it! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.htm

Comment: to assume makes an ass out of both you and me.

OUR FOUUNDING FATHERS DID NOT GUESS OR SIT AROUND A COFFIE TABLE AND
CONCOCT THE CONSTITUTION OR SAY THE BILL OF RIGHTS OR POSSIBBILY HOW ONE
PAYS RESPECT FOR ONE WHO GIVES HIS OR HER LIFE FOR SO OTHERS MAY FIND
COMFORT UNDER THE BLANKET FREEDOM.

I ASK YOU AT WHAT RISK DID THESE MEN NOT ONLY PLACE ON THEIR OWN LIVES BUT
ALSO THE LIVES OF THEIR FAMLIES AND ALL ALL THEY OWNED(DO A LITTLE
HOMEWORK).

SIR THE FACTS ARE CORRECT ABOUT EACH OF THE THIRTEEN FOLDS AND THE
CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES THAT RESONATE WITH PROFOUND IMPACT TO ANYONE WITH
BASIC COMMON SENSE.

THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING! EDMUND BURKE.

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 05 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING! EDMUND BURKE.
Eh? Where's the evil?

And why would a secular state like the US make a flag folding (and wassupwiDAT?) ceremony Christian?

Me heads hurts, so I'm off for a sit down.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.htm

Comment: to assume makes an ass out of both you and me.

OUR FOUUNDING FATHERS DID NOT GUESS OR SIT AROUND A COFFIE TABLE AND
CONCOCT THE CONSTITUTION OR SAY THE BILL OF RIGHTS OR POSSIBBILY HOW ONE
PAYS RESPECT FOR ONE WHO GIVES HIS OR HER LIFE FOR SO OTHERS MAY FIND
COMFORT UNDER THE BLANKET FREEDOM.

I ASK YOU AT WHAT RISK DID THESE MEN NOT ONLY PLACE ON THEIR OWN LIVES BUT
ALSO THE LIVES OF THEIR FAMLIES AND ALL ALL THEY OWNED(DO A LITTLE
HOMEWORK).

SIR THE FACTS ARE CORRECT ABOUT EACH OF THE THIRTEEN FOLDS AND THE
CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES THAT RESONATE WITH PROFOUND IMPACT TO ANYONE WITH
BASIC COMMON SENSE.

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

What the Hell is he going at? I think I get it, religion good (especially the Christian faith) secular bad. But it still confuses me. I need to get a job and stop wasting my time with this stuff.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I don't know where you are getting your information about the
socalled false Christian statements about these different traditions but I
would like to know. I don't beleave you are right. In my opinion, you
are like everyone else in trying to destroy the true meaning of Christmas.
But I truely would like to know where you are getting the information to
back up these statements. Do not send me an explination just of your
words. I want resorces.

Don't Shoot the Mexican

Careful snopes,

He or she might be looking to invade your oilfields.

Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
And why would a secular state like the US make a flag folding (and wassupwiDAT?) ceremony Christian?

Of course, convincing some of these people that the US is a secular state would take an act of God .... [Smile]
Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages