snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Suggestion Box » FAQ entry about the caching problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAQ entry about the caching problem
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like on a fairly regular basis a newbie will start a thread along the lines of "Why aren't my posts showing up?" or "Why can't I see new posts?" Would it be possible to add an entry to the FAQ explaining that the caching problem is a well known issue and perhaps a few of the work arounds? Because it seems like that is a question that is, well, being asked frequently.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no newbie, I'm just no good at this interweb inline business. [dunce]

I second that idea.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Decent enough idea, but that would assume new people actually read the faq.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a bad idea but what would be the "correct" answer? There are several possibilities for every version of every browser. It depends on individual needs of the user. So the most the FAQ could say is: "Please don't start another thread about this. There are many ways of dealing with the problem depending on your platform and your needs." I'm all for it but I'm not sure it would solve anything.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
It's not a bad idea but what would be the "correct" answer? There are several possibilities for every version of every browser. It depends on individual needs of the user. So the most the FAQ could say is: "Please don't start another thread about this. There are many ways of dealing with the problem depending on your platform and your needs." I'm all for it but I'm not sure it would solve anything.

The FAQ already says:
quote:
If you cannot locate one of your previous posts, the most likely reason (is) ...The administrator deleted it because one or more threads had already been started for the same topic.
and
quote:
Check the main site at www.snopes.com before posting inquiries to ensure that your topics haven't already been covered there.
Perhaps the latter might be modified to say "check both the main site and the ULMB before posting," but it would be kind of redundant IMO.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I don't agree that it would be redundant at all. The FAQ for the ULMB focuses mostly on the message board software. Putting in a little entry on the cache issue wouldn't require a lot of work and probably would answer most of the common questions. The way it is worded now sounds like the entry refers more to thread topics being deleted for being redundant rather than potential technical issues and might actually encourage new people to post about their cache-related problems instead.

All IMO, of course [Big Grin]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something like this?

quote:

Why Can't I See My Posts?

Due to an unknown server problem some people are unable to see their posts after making them. If a thread does not appear to have updated you must either clear your browser cache or perform a 'hard refresh'.

I think it's a bit more technical than would normally be in the faq - with the explaining how to clear the cache or do a hard refresh.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But it's not an "unknown server problem".
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Ganzfeld. By now this server problem has become well-known. [Smile]

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Pish, reword it as you like, I still think it's just too technical for the faq. I could almost see it just saying the two options without explaining them, but then people would create threads just to know that.

I think that maybe a better idea is a thread (locked or otherwise) about it that's stickied in the tech questions forum. Maybe the big cache thread snopes started, but I was thinking of something that just explains the problem and possible solutions.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...

freshacconci
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshacconci   E-mail freshacconci       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Newbie here.

I sort of assumed the problem was with the cache (having been on other message boards, things happen), but a simple line in the FAQ would maybe clear up some confusion and I don't think it needs to be too technical or specific. People are often satisfied knowing it's a tech delay. I'd think most newbies would read the FAQ (the first time a post of mine didn't show up right away, that's where I went).

--------------------
They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Oh, there they go.

Posts: 13 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Saying the problem is with the cache is nice, but it doesn't help those who don't know how to work around it. If people browse, post, fail to see their post, and then check the faq to see it's a known problem but doesn't explain how to deal with it, they, in my opinion, would by likely to either start a thread asking what to do or leave thinking that if the board doesn't work right there's no point in posting.
(That sentence is way too long)

I still think the best option is a sticky, maybe with a faq link to the sticky.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe:
I still think the best option is a sticky, maybe with a faq link to the sticky.

I like this idea. How about something in the FAQ like this:

quote:
Why don't my posts appear to be showing up? and/or Why can't I see any new posts?

This is due to a problem with the board software. For more details and information on working around this problem see the related thread in the Technical Questions forum. [perhaps a link to the thread here]

Although the FAQ entry my not be completely necessary, assuming people look in the Technical Questions area first and see the sticky when they encounter the caching issue.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages