snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Aggie hurricane preparedness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aggie hurricane preparedness
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, I enjoyed it, but do many people outside of Texas know about Aggie jokes?
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
Well, I enjoyed it, but do many people outside of Texas know about Aggie jokes?

Those that listen to Jim Rome do.

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm sure most of Arkansas does. My guess would be that Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri do now also. And even if no one else does, It is about time the rest of the world is introduced to Aggie jokes.

ETF: Type OOOH!

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Temp
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I knew about them when I lived in North Carolina.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mamabear
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I live in Louisiana...we know about them! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
We have known about Aggie jokes in Oklahoma for a long time.....

And we also know most of them aren't jokes, but true stories... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Are Aggie jokes like Newfie jokes?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canora Venatrix sdb021499
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canora Venatrix sdb021499   E-mail Canora Venatrix sdb021499   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
At the very least, it's a picture of a real store. The website http://www.loupots.com/ (go to locations) This is a picture of the Northgate location. Maybe I should call them ask if it was staged. I don't know that I could trust the answer I would be given.
I can also vouch that "Aggie Jokes" are not jokes, but true stories.

ETA: The facing street is none other than University Drive, and is a heavily trafficed area, the photographer had to be a quick shot to not get any cars in it, even with the hurricane scare. You can see some cars in the window reflections.

--------------------
Linguae quae genera distincta non habent inuriam faciunt feminis! - Henricus Barbatus, Lingua Latina Multo Pluribus Occasionibus
Sweet Pea
Accidentally offending people online since 1998.

Posts: 83 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Canora Venatrix sdb021499:
At the very least, it's a picture of a real store. The website http://www.loupots.com/ (go to locations) This is a picture of the Northgate location. Maybe I should call them ask if it was staged. I don't know that I could trust the answer I would be given.
I can also vouch that "Aggie Jokes" are not jokes, but true stories.

An Aggie will tell you that the one "true" Aggie joke is:

Q: What do you call an Aggie five years after graduation?
A: Boss

The proper reply is "That's the one true Aggie 'joke' because all the other stories really happened" [Big Grin]

buf 'honk if I'm an Aggie' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I wonder if this was intended more to prevent looting than storm damage. The plywood could be bolted securely to the walls on the inside, making it more difficult to break in. If it's just nailed on the outside, looters (and hurricane winds) could possibly pry it loose.

Maybe not. I'm just trying to guess their reasoning.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkettios:
I wonder if this was intended more to prevent looting than storm damage. The plywood could be bolted securely to the walls on the inside, making it more difficult to break in. If it's just nailed on the outside, looters (and hurricane winds) could possibly pry it loose.

Maybe not. I'm just trying to guess their reasoning.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head! [Big Grin] The facade on the outside of the window would make securing the plywood quite a damaging proposition. By securing it inside, they reduce the chance of looters (nothing eliminates it entirely) and probably also reduces the chance of extensive wind driven rain damage. Wouldn't help in flood waters but better than nothing!

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages