snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Is this really a picture of a ghost?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this really a picture of a ghost?
jumpcreature
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I happened across this website http://www.all-things-paranormal.com/forum/index.php

and I saw this picture.

-

Is there any way to find out if it is real?? I emailed the person who took it and he said that he was a journalist with the Bourbon Times when he took it.

Here is where the picture is described.

http://www.all-things-paranormal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Thanks,
Justin

[ 25. September 2005, 11:26 PM:   snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oliviasmommy

Can you get the entire picture instead of the zoomed in one? If I could see the entire thing in perspective to the other objects it would help. Also, it looks like the picture may be upside down. The cabinets at the bottom don't look like they should be at the bottom but rather at the top of the picture. I tried to remove that circle (too distracting) to no avail. I don't know if it has been photo shopped or not. I think seeing the entire photo would help a lot.

Cathy

Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I looked at the pic for a few minutes trying to wonder what I was supposed to see... Then, I followed the link, read the explanation, tried again to see what was described...

It's not very convincing when you need to be told what it is you are looking for. It's like looking at a cloud: random shapes. You're free to "see" what you want in them.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like a painting of some sort to me. Supposedly he's in another room but without seeing more it's hard to tell where he's supposed to be.

The white brows and 'stache looked like they were added, perhaps to draw attention just in case you couldn't make out the man.

I'd rate this one a "stupid fake" but I'm not so sure about those EVPs... [Wink]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't see what I'm 'supposed' to see. I actually could contrive TWO faces out of the circled area -- one over the other. The top one is long and cartoony, the bottom one is small and more realistic.

I don't see the "white mustache" I"m supposed to see, though

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just noticed -- amazingly, the original poster (of the linked thread) lost his hard drive, and the original with it!

-Tim "the ghost made it toast?"

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brendaal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brendaal   E-mail brendaal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It looks like a puppet peaking out of a cabinet door..
AHHHHH ATTACK of the Killer Puppets!

Posts: 48 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It looks like either Statler or Waldorf, those two muppets that sat in the balcony and picked apart the Muppet Show...I never knew which was which.

I immediately saw the "mustache", but I also immediately thought of The Muppet Show.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OptimusShr
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptimusShr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
It looks like either Statler or Waldorf, those two muppets that sat in the balcony and picked apart the Muppet Show...I never knew which was which.

I immediately saw the "mustache", but I also immediately thought of The Muppet Show.

I does sorta look like them doesn't it.

I thinkit's a hoax, the muppets look too similar to the "ghost" IMO.

Posts: 104 | From: Peabody, MA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jumpcreature

Is there a way to check wether it has been photoshopped or not?
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

OK, now I see the single face. Before I was seeing one face under the 'mustache' (which served as the hair for that face) and a second above.

-Tim

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Wouldn't ghosts actually have to exist in order to be photographed?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd recognize that potato anywhere. It's definitely not a ghost.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I look to be a hand puppet of some sort. I would guess its about 8 to 12 inches high based on the size of the self in front. The reason it look to be fading way at the bottom is do to the hand and arm coming from the back, between the walls and bending up under the puppet.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elly Belly
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elly Belly   E-mail Elly Belly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Eegads! It's the ghost of Greeves the Butler, returned from beyond the grave! [Eek!]

Don't mind me. [Roll Eyes]

Incidentally, though, the facial structure of the alleged ghost is completely unrealistic and cartoonish. It really DOES look like one of those grumpy old muppets.

Elly "Artistic Ectoplasm" Belly

--------------------
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Posts: 37 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OptimusShr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptimusShr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jumpcreature:
Is there a way to check wether it has been photoshopped or not?

You could check the EXIF data but that would only tell you that it has gone through Photoshop. But EXIF data can be manipulated and this is a crop.

It looks fake, like a puppet.

Posts: 104 | From: Peabody, MA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin

There are plenty of pictures like this on the interent. Some can be explained others can't but one thing remains certain, ghost don't exist.
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I too would like to see the whole room. It looks as though the 'ghost' is half-way through a door or partly behind a partition - it would help to know which.

I saved the image and zoomed in - snd on close viewing, I'm saying a doll or puppet too. The eyes don't look human, but more like black button 'eyes'.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sophia
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
im not a pro at looking at ghost photos or anything, but it looks pretty fake to me. i look at ghost photos on the net alot (yes, im a nerd, i know), and ive seen some that look alot better than that one. and no one can actually tell you for sure if its real or not... these pictures are faked so often, theres no way you can really trust a ghost picture source. any true skeptic will dismiss ANY picture as a hoax or a mistake in development.

--------------------
Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Posts: 13 | From: South Lake Tahoe, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by oliviasmommy:
Can you get the entire picture instead of the zoomed in one? If I could see the entire thing in perspective to the other objects it would help. Also, it looks like the picture may be upside down. The cabinets at the bottom don't look like they should be at the bottom but rather at the top of the picture. I tried to remove that circle (too distracting) to no avail. I don't know if it has been photo shopped or not. I think seeing the entire photo would help a lot.

Cathy

I felt as if it was upside down aswell, so I turned it. Still doesn't make any sense!!

ETA : can't paste it here unfortunatly

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 303 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wanna make your own fake ghost photos? Use this handy tutorial!

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
you should check out the EVPs the group got with them. (link in explanation).

"Big Big Yes" especially. I should record MY conversations with my friends and say he was a ghost!!

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:

"Big Big Yes" especially. I should record MY conversations with my friends and say he was a ghost!!

I thought EVPs were 'ghosts' caught on audio and only discernable through some sort of filter...these are simply recordings of people walking through rooms who are hearing 'ghosts'.

Then again trying to make sense of the garbage is quite silly so I'll just stop now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OptimusShr

quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:

I thought EVPs were 'ghosts' caught on audio and only discernable through some sort of filter...these are simply recordings of people walking through rooms who are hearing 'ghosts'.

Then again trying to make sense of the garbage is quite silly so I'll just stop now. [Big Grin]

From what I've heard you just have to playback the recording and listen closely because the EVPs can be faint
RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Maybe it's a haunted ghost-puppet... [fish]

Heather

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OptimusShr:
From what I've heard you just have to playback the recording and listen closely because the EVPs can be faint

Yes, they are extremely faint. Because there's nothing in them but noise.*

Whatever you hear is like pictures you see if you stare at the snow on the TV too much, a la Poltergeist. So you have to listen a lot before you imagine it. After that, once you've convinced yourself it's really there, you'll hear it every time. (Just as you may see a face in a stain. Once you see it, it will be there every time.)

*There is evidence for some EVPs being radio interference. Not ghosts; people's baby room intercoms, mostly. (We used to pick up radio on an old turntable I had when I was a kid.)

ETA - By the way, my name, Ganzfeld relates to experiments done with using visual fields in the same way. In addition to white noise, a white cover (such as ping-pong ball halves) was put over a person's eyes. After a while, the subject begins to hallucinate. The hallucinations were used for telepathy experiments but, like all telepathy experiments, there were no significant results. (The things you see in the ganzfeld are only your imagination.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages