snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » How would you like to pay for that?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How would you like to pay for that?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I tried searching for the photograph, but nothing came up in my attempts at it for TOLL and OTHER MEANS OF PAYMENT other than they also accept checks or credit cards.

But the photograph does appear manipulated by judging the photo has been saved more than once and the other pictures are loosing pixel clarity.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
I wouldn't discount the possibility that the sign is real, and the portion on the bottom left actually depicts something innocuous but looks a little risque from a distance (e.g., it's supposed to represent a person dropping change into a toll collection basket).

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Greek in the search engine turned this page up:
http://www.clickhere.gr/pictures/picturegr.asp?PIC_ID=836

Also in this collection:
http://www.filaki.gr/images_cat.php?start=9&len=9&icID=7&orderby=insertdate

ETA: Certainly is in a lot of places making fun of Greek signs:
http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/ddrs/Ffh-2-ptfndr/tropoi-plhromhs-diodion.jpg
from: http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/ddrs/Hellas-Real-fan-fotos.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Used Bablefish to check the translation and it appears correct according to that, so its not just a simple job of shopping just the English words.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They all appear to be the same picture with different superimposed marks so there must be an original out there somewhere. My uneducated guess is that the sign is (or was) real.

ETA: Oh, duh. The third link on my last post has no superimpositions.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

According to link 3, "Ways of payment [Greek to me] on a road in Attica"
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Found this pic , thanks to the Attica Road tip.

More ammunition for fake.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages