snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » jet breaks sound barrier

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: jet breaks sound barrier
peculiar hailstone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peculiar hailstone   E-mail peculiar hailstone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
not sure if anyone's seen this one before, but it's supposedly a photo of a jet breaking the sound barrier. Thoughts?

-

it came from this site

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Odd_Pics.html

--------------------
my wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday...

Posts: 121 | From: St. Catharines, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The picture is legit. It was taken by Ensign John Gay aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Constellation on July 9th, 1999 off the coast of Hawaii. The plane pictured is an F/A-18C Hornet Strike Fighter.

The picture won the World Press Photo 2000 contest.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
peculiar hailstone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peculiar hailstone   E-mail peculiar hailstone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
thanks

--------------------
my wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday...

Posts: 121 | From: St. Catharines, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
And here's how it was taken, for you photo buffs.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Didn't sound quite right, so I googled:

Truth or Fiction

In brief, it is likely the aeroplane is travelling faster than sound. It is unlikely the photo records the moment when it broke the sound barrier.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In the spirit of the first pic, here's a couple more interesting condensation events:

F-14 in a high angle-of-attack turn. The condensation is caused by the low pressure area above the wings, and more pronounced since the wing is at a high AoA (probably close to stall).

This picture is quite interesting. It looks like the starboard wing is close to stall (the plane looks to be in a right-wing-down attitude). The trail off the starboard wingtip is curious, perhaps because of the camera angle. I'd guess it's from the wingtip vortex, which would be pretty strong if the wing was close to stall, combined with steam from the catapult. Also note that both rudders are turned inboard, to help the aircraft pitch up.

This one is pretty neat...It's an AH-1W landing on the USS Kearsarge. The condensation from the rotor-tip vortices is beautifly backlit by the sun.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Boom-a-chow!

Woo! My first chow! Now that I no longer have THAT hangup, I should finally be ready to make something of my life. (Hopefully that chow isn't all that I'm going to make...)

Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages