snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Giant squid!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giant squid!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Here's the link to the photo & caption. It the photo of an actual squid?

http://uncarved.org/blog/?p=708

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
katsalittleyellowsongbird
The Spice Is Right

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katsalittleyellowsongbird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
the gigantic yellow eye makes me suspicious....
very "cartoon",IMHO

Posts: 73 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kennerado
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennerado   E-mail Kennerado   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like a film prop.
Posts: 6 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to someone on the TONMO forum, it's a model for the Discovery Channel's Animal Faceoff, the Colossal Squid vs. Sperm Whale episode.

[Edit]Apparently it was designed by Steve O'Shea himself, so the eye proportions should be accurate. TONMO Forum post

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I agree. Aren't giant squid's eyes supposed to be the size of a softball?

-TB "I'm not playing softball with them" Tabby

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Giant squid waffles.

I've also heard their eyes are the size of dinner plates.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh, where's our beloved resident marine biologist when you need him? [Frown]

I don't believe anyone has even captured an intact giant squid, but I could be wrong. Also, a squid has no bones, so I think one would "droop" if hoisted up. The body looks like pastic or rubber in the way it holds it shape. Also, a squid like that should weigh close to a ton, shouldn't it? I think it would need more cables to hold it up.

But I am not a marine biologist, so I could be wrong.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Giant and colossal squid fact sheet.

From page linked to in OP: Super squid surfaces in Antarctic.

We've got dead ones, but no lives ones.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I must be 4, because that's hilarious to me.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dave from London
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The comments below the pic say it all really - the colour, the structure when it's hanging, the texture at 1g (these things live deep in the ocean) and above all the cartoon eye make it so obvious it's a fake...

Funny though [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My first thought is that it is exactly what it appears to be: a photograph of a large squid sculpture. My second thought is that I would never trust someone who doesn't know the difference between Azathoth and Cthulhu.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ha ha, it looks almost like something from Monsters Inc.

But can I just say, yes I can handle sharks, it's their oceans so you got to respect the mean killing machine aspect of them but the thought of giant squid, roaming the ocean floors looking for a little Ghost on Toast to grab makes me feel so ill...

Bleurgh.

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave from London:
The comments below the pic say it all really - the colour, the structure when it's hanging, the texture at 1g (these things live deep in the ocean) and above all the cartoon eye make it so obvious it's a fake...

Actually, the eye looks right...at least from underwater. Colossal squid eyes are huge. Plus, since it was designed with help from Dr. O'Shea, it's probably pretty accurate. He probably knows more about colossal squid than anyone else.

Here's a pic of it underwater:
Squid
more squid

From one of O'Shea's TONMO.com forums:
quote:
The mantle, fins and head have a rigid internal fibreglass frame, covered in a thick layer of latex; the arms and tentacles are completely latex.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canora Venatrix sdb021499
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canora Venatrix sdb021499   E-mail Canora Venatrix sdb021499   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
According to someone on the TONMO forum, it's a model for the Discovery Channel's Animal Faceoff, the Colossal Squid vs. Sperm Whale episode.

Now there's an episode I'd like to see.

--------------------
Linguae quae genera distincta non habent inuriam faciunt feminis! - Henricus Barbatus, Lingua Latina Multo Pluribus Occasionibus
Sweet Pea
Accidentally offending people online since 1998.

Posts: 83 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That looks completely fake to me. The eye is to perfectly round and that pink color just doesn't look right. Aren't they more of a grey color?

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
We've got dead ones, but no lives ones.

And not a week later...

A photo of a live one.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by MapMaker:
That looks completely fake to me. The eye is to perfectly round and that pink color just doesn't look right. Aren't they more of a grey color?

Well, according to Steve O'Shea, Mesonychoteuthis are actually somewhat translucent. They do have chromatophores like many other squid so can probably change colors between red and white. The skin is thin, and the dead ones tend to have the skin rubbed off by nets and such, so they appear white.

Remember that your own eye is nearly perfectly round...it just looks almond shaped because of the eyelid and surrounding eye socket. Squid don't have eyelids. Also, according to O'Shea, the eyes on Mesonychoteuthis are absolutely huge.

Other squid have perfectly round eyes:
Squid

--------------------

Crablegz
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 202 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Turner:
I must be 4, because that's hilarious to me.

Me too, I just about PEED! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages