snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Did Bush really ask for a bathroom break? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Did Bush really ask for a bathroom break?
e^pi_i
A Thousand Potatoes Yet to Go by K. P. Dutie

Icon 500 posted      Profile for e^pi_i   E-mail e^pi_i   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw this link posted on a website, and I was wondering how authentic it is (for the world's sake, I hope it's fake).

Bush 'permission slip'

[ 15. September 2005, 05:37 AM:   snopes ]

Posts: 17 | From: Charlottesville | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mattie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The pic is really posted in the Yahoo slideshow for the UN Summit - but I highly doubt its real, more the work of a trickster.

--------------------
I don't want some pretty face to tell me pretty lies, all I want is someone to believe.

Posts: 1535 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Appears to be genuine. At least, it's on a legit news site (yahoo news), and also on the Reuters site (couldn't link it here, but go to reuters, search photos for "Rick Wilking", and you'll find the pic, dated today (Sept 14).

Not sure why this is supposed to be shocking/"fear for the world", etc. Unless it's of the junior-high bathroom mentality ("huh huh the president had to pee, huh huh"), I just don't get it.

-Tim "Bush can't even take a NFBSK anymore without people questioning him?"

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
anyone know what it says on the bottom? Maybe he's just asking when the next break is going to be?

ETA: come to think of it, it has to be pretty cool to be so powerful that your musings about your bladder are newsworthy

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
anyone know what it says on the bottom? Maybe he's just asking when the next break is going to be?

I read it as "Is this possible {unreadable/incomplete}"

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
Appears to be genuine. At least, it's on a legit news site (yahoo news), and also on the Reuters site (couldn't link it here, but go to reuters, search photos for "Rick Wilking", and you'll find the pic, dated today (Sept 14).

Not sure why this is supposed to be shocking/"fear for the world", etc. Unless it's of the junior-high bathroom mentality ("huh huh the president had to pee, huh huh"), I just don't get it.

-Tim "Bush can't even take a NFBSK anymore without people questioning him?"

Just a bit surprising that Bush had the need to ask about going to the bathroom.

After having been in office as a world leader for almost 5 years one might say he should know how to take care of such matters in the setting without asking Condie.

A video clip of him raising his hand and asking to go would have been pretty funny- had Condie not been there we might have gotten to see that. [Razz]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
Just a bit surprising that Bush had the need to ask about going to the bathroom.

Just theorizing, but perhaps he was asking Condi (as Secretary of State) to arrange for a break in the action discretely. This would look better than a) him getting up and walking out, or b) the scenerio you mentioned, with him raising his hand [Wink] .

Of course, when you have a guy with a long zoom lens on your pad, then that sorta shatters the "discreteness" [Big Grin] .

Humorous, yes. Inappropriate? I think not. (I do question the appropriateness of releasing the photo to the news bureau, but hey, it's a free country...)

-Tim

peculiar hailstone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peculiar hailstone   E-mail peculiar hailstone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I find the grammar strange. Why does a delarative sentence like "I think I may need a bathroom break" end with a question mark?

--------------------
my wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday...

Posts: 121 | From: St. Catharines, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'd agree that he was probably writing it so a break could be discretely arranged.

I'm as anti-Bush as they get, but I think it's pretty immature to make fun of the fact that he had to pee. *shrug*

...And I think the reason he ended it with a question mark was because, if it had been spoken out loud, it would have asked with rising intonation, even though it was gramatically formed as a declarative sentence. Think about it--if YOU were in a situation in which it would be very awkward to ask for a break, wouldn't you say, "I need a break...?" instead of confidently declaring it?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought he was left handed. No? Yes? Does anyone know? That's a picture of a righty.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary

I googled it... Daddy Bush is a lefty, Baby Bush is a righty.
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Four Kitties asks:
quote:
I thought he was left handed. No? Yes? Does anyone know? That's a picture of a righty.
Don't think so. I googled for images of "bush signing" and got pages of him signing things with his right hand. However, I did hit one of his father and he seems to be a lefty.

Gibbie

ETA: dang spanked. I google too slow.

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks! Well, that debunking is down the tubes. Anyone else?

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like a righty to me.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A couple of sites propose that Bush was actually REPLYING to a note that was passed to him, likely by Condoleeza Rice. They're basing this on the request for a break being in large block letters while the bottom part he is writing looks a little different.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001137252

-Tim

Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's been reported on Reuters as well. Whether he wrote the note or not is my question.

Condi writing or not, I'm pretty sure that's real.

(I actually looked on Snopes' "latest additions" but couldn't find it. [Razz] )

Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune No Bosetsu
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune No Bosetsu   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kitsune No Bosetsu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's on Fark.com. It must be true! [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's you and me against the world.... We attack at dawn. -Mandy

Posts: 34 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune No Bosetsu:
It's on Fark.com. It must be true! [Big Grin]

[lol]

Like we can trust Fark.com... [Razz]

Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think that it was the fact that our president was asking to use the bathroom (although the three-year-old inside of me did find it humerous), but just the idea that our president cannot write a simple sentence correctly. Maybe its just because I'm an English major, but that was the thing that bothered (and made me laugh) me the most.

Strawberries 'n Sugar

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Hot off the snopes press: Permission Slip

Four Kitties

--------------------

Hug a Revolutionary

Hey, e^pi_i, that's awesome--Barbara used your title! [Smile]
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Anyone remember the video of Bill Clinton whispering to HRC that he had to pee?
It was just after he took office in 1993 & was having some event at the White House

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Am I the only one who thinks that the bottom two lines of writing don't seem to be in the same hand writing as the first four lines?

Since this source is reputable, I think there is little question that the literal picture is genuine and accurate, but is it possible President Bush just needed to scribble a quick note to someone and just grabbed what ever scrap of paper was sitting around, upon which someone else had made the bathroom request on? I mean after all the note hardly looks like anything the President was planning on saving for prosperity, just a quick note.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Am I the only one who thinks that the bottom two lines of writing don't seem to be in the same hand writing as the first four lines?

See my post above [Smile]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 303 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
I mean after all the note hardly looks like anything the President was planning on saving for prosperity, just a quick note.

Just wait; this note will be on Ebay before the day is out! [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here's a handwriting site with a note purporting to be written by Dr. Rice with a comment by the Pres.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
True, says Editor and Publisher.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

Spanked ya last night [Big Grin] [Razz]

-Tim

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

Spanked ya last night [Big Grin] [Razz]

-Tim

Darn! I just looked at your url and it's not the same one I used. So I was just contributing what Editor and Publisher had to say to add to whatever everyone else had to say. Didn't know mediainfo.com and editorandpublisher.com were the same thing.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
uncle jam

If you're making a speech and you must have secret service agents go everywhere you go, yeah you have to ask permission. I wouldn't doubt that it is real.
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hug a Revolutionary:
I googled it... Daddy Bush is a lefty, Baby Bush is a righty.

A bit of trivia -- while a first baseman at Yale, the senior Bush was among that rarest of baseball players -- bats right, throws left.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Apparently it is authentic as presented.
Here is a link to the latest on the Reuters site about this.

quote:
This photo generated a lot of discussion on blogs, with views mixed on whether it was or was not legitimate to display it. Reader feedback to Reuters, however, ran 100 percent against it. The photographer and editors on this story were looking for other angles in their coverage of this event, something that went beyond the stock pictures of talking heads that this kind of forum usually offers. This picture certainly did that: Editor
Having been in lengthy formal meetings myself I can understand why the note was written. I guess it just shows how desperate some people are to have something to make fun of.

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's on the BBC site, but notice that the report uses words such as 'appeared' and 'apparent'.

BBC being cagey.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages