snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » The worst disaster to hit the US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The worst disaster to hit the US
Everyday the paper boy brings more
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Real? Faked? Seems almost too good to be true:

-

Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 601 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
finally, truth in advertising! [Smile] [fish]

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It may or may not be fake. It's not that uncommon to have a "ticker flash" like that in the format of:

SPEAKER: WHAT THE SPEAKER SAID ABOUT SOMETHING

such as

REHCSIF: BUSH HEADLINE PHOTO MAY NOT BE FAKE

And in that context it makes sense, although "BUSH: KATRINA ONE OF WORST DISASTERS IN U.S. HISTORY" would have been more clear, since the OP doesn't even say WHAT he was saying was the worst disaster (although in the current social context it's blatantly obvious).

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
It may or may not be fake. It's not that uncommon to have a "ticker flash" like that in the format of:

SPEAKER: WHAT THE SPEAKER SAID ABOUT SOMETHING

Well, yeah. I don't think HOW the screencap came about is in question. The question is whether it's real or not. Anyway, I find it completely plausible that a tired caption writer simply copied down what Bush said verbatim and didn't realize his mistake (if he realized it at all) until after the caption had been put up.
Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
...or the person at Sky News who wrote the caption was trying to get his opinion out to the masses.

Dark "Public split on whether Bush is a divider" Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Isn't Sky News affiliated with Fox?
Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm sure whoever wrote the ticker meant Katrina when he/she wrote it, but yes, there is a subtle (and probably unintentional) double meaning there.

No, I don't watch Sky News (never even heard of them!), so I can't vouch to its veracity.

- Pseudo "Hurricane Bush" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually, sky news is the news here in the UK. "Sky" is the name of our main satellite company (the newest satellite with the menus and such, pretty sure USA has that too by now).

And with this satellite package comes such programs as "sky news", "sky sport", "sky movies" and "sky one".

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by react2distract:

Both BSkyB and Fox are owned by News Corporation, which is of course controlled by Rupert Murdoch.

However, Sky News does not have the same reputation for journalistic chicanery and lack of integrity as Fox does. It's generally considered to be a reasonably reliable news source here; perhaps not quite as respected as ITN or the BBC, but not, to paraphrase Al Franken, lying liars who tell lies.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
However, Sky News does not have the same reputation for journalistic chicanery and lack of integrity as Fox does.

At least Fow News is not as politically biased as CNN is. They are more likely to tell the straight story without a slant...and would never hire a bigot like Wolf Blitzer ("...and they're SO black...")

Griffin-Lucy in the sky with Diamonelles-2020

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know how they put in headlines exactly but it may simple be a case of entering data in different places and the unforeseen result was what we see.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tomcat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin2020:
[QUOTE]They are more likely to tell the straight story without a slant...

You can't be serious... Fox has their head so far up bush's ass they use his kidneys as earmuffs.

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The other night on Jon Stewart's show he showed a clip from Faux News of Bush talking about John Roberts. The caption said "News Alert: Bush calls Roberts a gentleman."

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
steve s I saw that one. Too funny! It had DH and me in stitches. I couldn't believe that they had that running as a FOX Alert.

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Woofer

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Woofer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Woofer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sony 50" Widescreen Plasma Flat-Panel TV with Integrated HDTV Tuner = $4200

Digital cable = $75.00/mo.

Seeing W's picture with the caption Bush: One of the Worst Disasters to Hit the U.S. = Priceless

[lol]

--------------------
Like men riding dragons throwing wolves at maggots.

Posts: 204 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Pretty sure it's genuine. Not sure it's that remarkable, though. They have to put up hundreds of these captions every day, with very little thinking time, and probably a few seconds later this one was replaced with another quote from Bush's speech. And then another. Viewed in context, you probably wouldn't even notice there was anything "odd" about it.

I'm more concerned about the fact that some idiot is watching Sky News's 4:3 output stretched to 16:9.

Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:

Both BSkyB and Fox are owned by News Corporation, which is of course controlled by Rupert Murdoch.

However, Sky News does not have the same reputation for journalistic chicanery and lack of integrity as Fox does. It's generally considered to be a reasonably reliable news source here; perhaps not quite as respected as ITN or the BBC, but not, to paraphrase Al Franken, lying liars who tell lies.

Those who tell both sides of the story are newscasters. I hate to break it to you but Al Franken is a comedian, not a newscaster. Although the "talk" shows lean conservative (including having horrible counter points to the conservative host and I mean horrible as in not a fair check) the news itself on Fox is far from biased. They have mind you broke more stories on Bush in a bad light than liberals can make excuses for.
Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by gizard:
quote:
quote:

Those who tell both sides of the story are newscasters.

Well... that's not the only or indeed the defining characteristic of a newscaster. That would be 'the dissemination of news.'

quote:
I hate to break it to you but Al Franken is a comedian, not a newscaster.

I'm well aware of what Mr Franken does for a living. I in no way see why that in and of itself should invalidate his argument and critique of Fox News. If you take issue with the critique itself, then by all means display why you do so, rather than merely rejecting it because of his occupation.
quote:
Although the "talk" shows lean conservative (including having horrible counter points to the conservative host and I mean horrible as in not a fair check) the news itself on Fox is far from biased.

I'm afraid I disagree, and I think you are speaking against the prevailing view. Please give me some examples of some even-handed reportage.
quote:
They have mind you broke more stories on Bush in a bad light than liberals can make excuses for.
If there's so many of them, then you should have no problem at all finding one and showing it to us, because I'm afraid I can't think of one. Show me one story negative to the Bush administration that was broken as an exclusive by Fox.

Regardless of all that, even if Fox News were a paragon of journalistic probity, my comment was largely on their reputation, and, even if you can display that Fox News are a perfectly even-handed and moderate broadcaster, the reputation that they have is still that of not being so.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny:
I'm more concerned about the fact that some idiot is watching Sky News's 4:3 output stretched to 16:9.

{hijack}
At our fitness club, they have a huge 16:9 TV in one of the lobbies, which is typically tuned to a football or basketball game, if there's one in season (which means about 11 months, 3 weeks of the year...) I don't know that much about these new TV's, but evidently it has a mode where it takes a 4:3 broadcast, tries to keep the middle portion of the screen at the correct aspect ratio, but stretches the screen more and more as you get toward the edges. I guess the idea is that the stuff in the middle is more important, so it doesn't get stretched, whereas the periphery is less important.

The problem, when watching something like a game on a court or field with lines, is as the camera pans back and fourth, it looks like you're watching through some sort of distorted lens. Makes you wanna hurl...

Not sure why they don't just use the black bars on the side and view it in the correct aspect ratio...
{/hijack}

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages