snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » MTV's Supposedly Banned Commercial? Help me out please.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MTV's Supposedly Banned Commercial? Help me out please.
Webmommy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I received an email with a .pps file attached, supposedly showing this very powerful set of advertisements trying to compare 9/11 with Aids, poverty, hunger and homelessness. The slide show claims that MTV couldn't air it because it was banned "by government". That right there was a hint. A freedom of speech issue like that and the ACLU would have been all over it! I found an example of the ad here: http://lemi4.blogdrive.com/archive/cm-5_cy-2005_m-07_d-23_y-2005_o-0.html and would greatly appreciate if anyone knew if it was real or not. Naturally, "well meaning" friends insist it is. Also, naturally, the pictures are blurred, blurred enough that it's hard to tell if it's been altered. Thanks!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The pics aren't showing up... for me anyway.

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Commander Taco
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Commander Taco   Author's Homepage   E-mail Commander Taco   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If you paste the URL for the first jpg into your browser's address bar:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-8/158357/blog_pics/mtv-911_hiv.jpg

you get a message from the host saying that the daily bandwidth limit has been exceeded.

--------------------
No, not *that* Commander Taco

Posts: 180 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IZaNaMI

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IZaNaMI   E-mail IZaNaMI   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They are working again now.
Posts: 17 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm sure MTV just refused to air the commercial.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
naharnahekim

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naharnahekim   E-mail naharnahekim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
First and foremost, it's not a TV commercial. It's a print ad. It is entirly likely that this was an ad that some agency pitched to MTV, and got refused. Or it's actually an ad they have/will use. As far as "the government" stopping MTV from using it, well that's kind of laughable, not that they've never suppressed stuff, just that they would care about this.
Posts: 45 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages