snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » More storm photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More storm photos
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
We've received the images at http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp in e-mails claiming them to be photographs of:

o Australian tornadoes, May 2005

o Severe storms in southern Alberta, July 2005

o Severe storms and tornadoes in Ontario, August 2005

o Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast, August 2005

What are they?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Shelf clouds. Though the second one in the second column looks like a funnel cloud forming, so I reckon that probably is a tornado.

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eosine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eosine   E-mail Eosine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They are storm photos. The original site offers to sell DVDs of the storm chase the pictures are from:
Storm Chases

The pictures are actually from 2004, southwest Iowa. Please wait for the pictures to load and then scroll down to over half way down.

I wonder if the author/photographer is aware of the email hoaxes?

Posts: 12 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They are amazing but real, in fact... He is a friend of my brother, and I believe his name is Mike Hollingshead.

And a correction--the large wall cloud was taken in Nebraska.

--------------------
--
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."

-Igor Stravinsky

Posts: 68 | From: Antarctica | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Those are incredible photos... I saw some nice clouds in a sunset today and had been pleased but I've never seen anything like those.

It's the lighting that does it, I think - the sun has to be fairly low to light the clouds from the side or underneath and show up their three-dimensional nature. Often the sky can look flat; it's when you realise that it isn't that it suddenly becomes astoundingly huge.

I have seen skies that would have been almost (well, say half) that impressive in pictures if I'd had a good camera with me and been a good photographer - that helps a lot too...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't know how anyone could confuse those pictures with a Hurricane. Two totally different weather phenomenons.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
penna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penna   E-mail penna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
they are beautiful pictures!

--------------------
if it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is....

Posts: 39 | From: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin

Interesting enough I was emailed those very same pictures claiming they were tornadic thunderstorms in North Carolina associated with Hurricae Katrina (like a feeder band). Also there were tornado warnings in western NC as Katrina passed by. But the land in those pictures seem more like the great plains.
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Earlier today someone posted these at a photography forum that I frequent and not only claimed that they were of Hurricane Katrina, but that they were taken by a friend of his brother. Don't worry; I Snopesed him.

Steve s.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mamabear

I could tell they weren't from Louisiana or Mississippi, just from the looks of the horizon. I have lived in Louisiana nearly all my life, and I don't think I have ever seen an area that flat, with no trees, now in the plains country, like Nebraska, Oklahoma or Kansas??? Yep!
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mamabear:
I could tell they weren't from Louisiana or Mississippi, just from the looks of the horizon. I have lived in Louisiana nearly all my life, and I don't think I have ever seen an area that flat, with no trees, now in the plains country, like Nebraska, Oklahoma or Kansas??? Yep!

You made me laugh, MAmabear. Welcome to the board [Smile]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mamabear

You're welcome, LittleDuck! Glad to be of service!!

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages