snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Dramatic video: Trooper sent flying by drunk-driving suspect

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dramatic video: Trooper sent flying by drunk-driving suspect
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Rodney Redmon was working an accident scene on the shoulder of Interstate 75, when a woman police say was drunk hit him. His body flew several feet in the air and crashed to the concrete.

Story & Video

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
that is crazy. i cant believe that he was able to get up and run towards the rail. if that was me, you'd be able to kiss my ass goodbye. Wow!
Posts: 36 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

No one is saying how it got out and no one can really believe the trooper survived.

Sorry, but how can people not believe he survived when you can clearly see him get on his feet again and run back to safety?

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
louisa_eat_world
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I think that when the article said that 'no one can really believe the trooper survived' it's because it's unbelievable that someone can survive being hit like that, even if you see with your own eyes that he did. Another example is 'I cannot believe this shoes are only 19.99!' when you can clearly see the price tag. [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What Louisa said. Personally, I can't imagine that he survived either. It really looks like that sedan at least hits his head if not completely runs it over... but he still gets up and hobbles off the road.

And Welcome to the boards from the other side of the pond, Louisa!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, I took it to be "Can't believe" as in "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"

Blue"I Can't Believe It's Not Fatal!(tm)"Star

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post 
It was things like this that caused our local legislature to pass a law that says you have to get over into the next lane or (if that's not possible) slow waaaay down if you see emergency lights.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sampo Torgo
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
It's the law there, too.

quote:
He says once people see the video he hopes they will obey a new state law forcing drivers to move over when they see an officer or construction crew at work.

One woman didn't and scarred him forever.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
While I find it pretty hard to believe too, I do see a couple things that could help explain how survived. It looks like he stepped almost passed the first vehicle when it hit him, so it was probably a kind of glancing blow. Anf when the second car hits him on the ground, you just can't see much besides the fact that there is indeed some contact. I think the mind tends to fill in the worst in that case.

None of that is to say that he isn't amazingly lucky to have survived, and without any major lasting damage no less.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
It was things like this that caused our local legislature to pass a law that says you have to get over into the next lane or (if that's not possible) slow waaaay down if you see emergency lights.

Unfortunately, I doubt many drunk drivers would heed this law.

It's amazing he he was not seriously hurt by this. I was always told by my dad that if a trooper pulls you over on the highway, if it's possible, go onto the grass at the side for their safety and mine. (The only time I ever was pulled over on the highway there was no grass and none coming up)

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gunpilot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gunpilot   E-mail Gunpilot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I recently learned that the law here in Texas requires you to get over in the other lane. If that is not possible due to traffic, road conditions, etc., you must slow to 20 MPH below the posted speed limit. Seems the least we could do.

Gun"As for the drunk drivers? Seat-belt-free demolition derby for them!!"pilot

Posts: 68 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:

Unfortunately, I doubt many drunk drivers would heed this law.
True enough. I guess we just hope that they'd go with the flow of traffic moving over.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw a similar video on the TV show, Maximum Exposure. Cop was standing by the car he pulled over and got smacked by an SUV. He was in a lot of pain, but suffered only serious bruises. Nothing broken.

Alas, the hit and run driver has not been apprehended.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages