snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Bush with guitar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush with guitar
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ach. Somebody has a shitty sense of humor.

This is too early to be spreading around jokes like this.

That's George Bush on August 30 at the Naval Base Coronado, of course.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.davidcorn.com/archives/2005/09/hurricane_katri_1.php

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What a bad photoshop job. The woman and child appear (to me) to be closer to the camera than Bush, yet the neck of his guitar somehow ends up in front of them.

I feel like I've seen the original of this picture, sans Bush, but I'm not positive.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
It's photoshopped. Mr. Billion shows that the picture of Bush was taken in California.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's not a joke, though. It's making a point.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
So, when did jokes stop making points?

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What I meant was that it's not supposed to be funny. Would anyone look at it and laugh? It's not just that it makes a point that disqualifies it as a joke for me, but that it makes a point without being funny at all.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
How do you know it wasn't meant to be funny (for various shades of "funny")?

Obviously, some folks aren't going to find that image funny. Not now, not ever. You didnt find it funny.

Im as outraged and horrified by whats going on along the Gulf Coast as anyone else, but, I dunno, I found it a pretty clever bit of political humor. (And I chuckled, too.)

-- Bonnie

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Well, OK; I read it as the visual version of what was going on chronologically. Maybe it doesn't work as a joke for me because a joke requires some sort of incongruity; this, rather, seems like an exercise in truth-telling, and rather obvious, at that. Art (though not particularly well-done art), not humor. But if you find it funny, I herewith withdraw my judgment that it is not supposed to be funny.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here is the "joke:" That is the guitar he received at a fundraiser he attended Tuesday night. Tuesday is the day after Katrina hit. Rather than doing a flyover on Tuesday, Bush was recieving a guitar, demonstrating his priorities.

It is pretty meta, and I don't think it was meant to be funny-ha-ha.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
Eh, it's like "let them eat beignets."

Bonnie "chacun son got" Taylor

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Yes, an intake of breath rather than a ha. Bitter rather than funny. But I'll cede it as a form of "joke" (so Bonnie wins).

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Here is the "joke:" That is the guitar he received at a fundraiser he attended Tuesday night. Tuesday is the day after Katrina hit. Rather than doing a flyover on Tuesday, Bush was recieving a guitar, demonstrating his priorities.
Well, it's a piece of visual humor. No one need know the backstory about how and when Bush received the guitar to find the piece humorous (or not).

If it works for anyone, it may work because it provides us with an image of Bush strummin' and serenadin' while New Orleans drowned.

Bonnie "Nero, my heart to thee" Taylor

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Joke, statement, whatever- it certainly seems a bad choice for this gallery- especially given who posted it. A bad 'Shop job + a ridiculous scenario don't warrant a spot here IMO.

Oh yeah, fake. [Razz]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Am I the only one to think of Nero? Or did everyone else find it to obvious to mention? (Not that I know if that's what the artist was going for.)

Edit: Whoops, didn't see it in the sig line. I guess that answers my qusetion.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sid007

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Really bad photoshop. It's the color contrast and size that got me right away
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I first saw that picture here:
http://bushlobster.ytmnd.com/
and I think the picture may have been made for that, which might add some context to it.
The sound clip is from Family Guy, when Peter takes out a guitar and plays a song to cheer up Cleveland.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Everyday the paper boy brings more
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hm, I saw that picture this morning on Fark in one of the PhotoShop contests. The theme was, "Spectacular Ways to Get Fired".
Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't think it was intended to look realistic. I think it's a statement--"THIS is what Bush was doing while THIS was happening".

It's like "My Pet Goat" all over again. x_O

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J Caldwell
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Caldwell     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

That darned fundraiser that he was at has continued to this day. I am even more tempted to add more money to the cause that he has been asking people to donate to from Tuesday on. Of course, that would be the American Red Cross. The event that he went to Tuesday was not a political fund raiser, but a V-J Day commeration.
Posts: 163 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by J Caldwell:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

That darned fundraiser that he was at has continued to this day. I am even more tempted to add more money to the cause that he has been asking people to donate to from Tuesday on. Of course, that would be the American Red Cross. The event that he went to Tuesday was not a political fund raiser, but a V-J Day commeration.
AnglRdr's post, that you responded to, was made on the 3rd of September, that is to say Saturday. "Has continued to this day" is slightly misleading in these circumstances.

But, if it's encouraging you to donate, I suppose that's alright.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
(Shhh, I'm officially a bad person: I chuckled at the second image on snopes's new page, too.)

-- Bonnie

--------------------

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Maybe the lady's crying in the photo because Mr Bush can't sing? The second I saw the picture, I could hear him singing, "Are you ready for some footballll?"

Trish "Yes, I am tasteless & going to hell" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Linden
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linden   Author's Homepage   E-mail Linden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
Eh, it's like "let them eat beignets."

Bonnie "chacun son got" Taylor

I wish I'd said that.

--------------------
Yours, &c

Linden

Posts: 190 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Maybe the lady's crying in the photo because Mr Bush can't sing? The second I saw the picture, I could hear him singing, "Are you ready for some footballll?"

Trish "Yes, I am tasteless & going to hell" DaDish

Yeah and his chords are probably way off, too. That baby looks downright frightened.

Whoever photoshopped this thing obviously needs a lesson in the subtlety of humor. But there is the real factor that these events were going on simultaneously.

Let's see, Bush picked while New Orleans drowned. Doesn't have quite the same ring, but maybe it will catch on.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brendaal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brendaal   E-mail brendaal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Bah, Trish spanked me.
I was gonna say, wow... looks like Mr Dubya is a really bad guitar player.
Does this mean I'm going to hell too?

Posts: 48 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, it looks like he's trying to play a G Major chord ... on the wrong fret.

--------------------
Sm hnor skall inte lgga stora gg fr d blir de slarviga i ndan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It could be a G#Maj but he'd have to fingerpick it, strumming it would sound crap.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages