snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » First Look at Google OS or a PhotoShopped Hoax?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Look at Google OS or a PhotoShopped Hoax?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 603 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.webpronews.com/insidesearch/insidesearch/wpn-56-20050901FirstLookAtGoogleOSorAPhotoshoppedHoax.html
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I would vote fake as the interface bears little resembelance to the smooth and clean nature of G-mail and google groups. As a whole it appears very ugly and slightly dated, mixing the pastel and modern colours of the compass with ugly bright blues with unsophisticated shading. The start up screen alone looks wrong, especialy the antialising on the server rack. Anyone at Google would have access to the original images. I also think it is debatable that any dev builds would even use a splash screen, you would likely want access to all the bootup messages. Although of course, at the moment it could still be in a very early stage of development with placeholder graphics.

Also, the taskbar at the bottom clearly rips a network icon from Microsoft Windows XP, which although concievable in a development build I find it unlikely.

Finaly I do not think Google is in a market position to delevop an effective and competetive OS. So far their buisness has been based mainly in the information and communications markets, although there have been rumours suggesting that Google may be developing a web browser. (Mainly suggested by a few domain name registration and a few employments within the company.)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Someone probably leaked out the plans from Google on how NOT to design a Google OS.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It doesn't look quite right for something from Google to me somehow, as James G says, it doesn't look clean and smooth enough to tally with Google's normal style. I would be dissapointed if it were genuine, as I generally really like google's products.

A slight aside, has anyone tried Google Talk yet?

It looks as if it could be quite good, and the voice stuff seems slightly better than MSN, though there are no emoticons or anything like that. Unfortunatley so far the only other person I know that has downloaded it is my boyfriend who's computer is about half a metre away from mine, so at the moment it's fairly useless to me..

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My thoughts are that this is a poor construct of someone's vivid imagination of making themselves a Window Blinds edition and saying it's a Google product. Either XP or OS/2, but I'm going with an XP point of view since my computers aren't designed for OS/2.

* someone saved the screen loader as a JPG layer. You can see the poor block resolution.

* The transparent edition in the next screenshot could easily be the Window Blind's edition transparent, windows skin construct used by Window Blinds or Windows XP Desktop either one, the skin adeptation can be used with Window Blinds, the desktop icons can be changed with XP or Window Blinds.

Though the search window could be a third party program in place but skin constructed. The highlighted adeptation could be OS/2 (despite my lack of knowledge)

* Start Menu in the third picture could be a Window Blinds edition with transparent features. Spreadsheet could be a third party other than MS Office. The TypeMachine could be a look at the font description in your Windows Font folder.

All in all, either Windows XP or OS/2 or maybe Google is trying to create their own edition. Maybe we should speak to a rep and find out.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
It doesn't look quite right for something from Google to me somehow, as James G says, it doesn't look clean and smooth enough to tally with Google's normal style. I would be dissapointed if it were genuine, as I generally really like google's products.

It looks as if it could be quite good, and the voice stuff seems slightly better than MSN, though there are no emoticons or anything like that. Unfortunatley so far the only other person I know that has downloaded it is my boyfriend who's computer is about half a metre away from mine, so at the moment it's fairly useless to me..

Scout.

I have, it works pretty well. My brother is in Amsterdam in college and my Mom cannot get over the fact that she can talk to my brother through the computer. It is a really cool program. It sure saves on the long distance!

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I tried it, though as a mac user I didn't really see all its features. Its server can be accessed through iChat on the mac but, oddly enough, doesn't allow voice chatting, even though iChat does.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hair LeMair
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The 'intro screen' resembles the Windows logo, I'd say too much for a company like Google.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darxide
Deployed at a stateside remote location...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darxide   E-mail Darxide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I vote fake. Look at the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop. Like James said, there is a windows "My Network Places" icon. Probably not a good idea to use Windows icons in your OS, unless you feel like going to court. There are rumors that google is buying up dark fiber, so maybe they are planning something as far as telecommunications go, but I doubt they would take stab at the OS market, considering that most of their software is still in beta anyway. It looks alot like a LiteStep GUI shell.
Posts: 11 | From: Holloman AFB, NM | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The spacing in the "Google Suite" title isn't even consistent.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Windows NT 4.0 was Build 1381.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like someone fell for an Italian tabloid:

1 Maggio 2005 Google lancia “Google Suite 1.0″

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The (Puntrue) Percula
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The (Puntrue) Percula   E-mail The (Puntrue) Percula   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.google.com/enterprise/gsa/product_models.html

They used an image from Google's Site Search utility.

Posts: 38 | From: Huntington Station, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages