snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Gas at $6.07 per gallon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gas at $6.07 per gallon?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
I suspect this is a genuine news photograph, but I haven't found the source yet:

-----------------------

Gasoline customers check prices and leave at a BP station in Stockbridge, Ga., Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005. Gasoline price soared Wednesday toward $3 a gallon in many parts of the country, surpassing that level in some places, such as this station, as key refineries and pipelines remained crippled by Hurricane Katrina, crimping supplies and leading to caps on the amount of fuel delivered to retailers.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw footage from a helicopter here in metro Atlanta that showed that same sign.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here's one story.

This story mentions that price.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dried to Dust
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Yep, this was taken in Stockbridge, Georgia. I passed by the station myself yesterday and it was indeed $5.87 a gallon for unleaded, way higher than the surrounding gas stations. They'd lowered the price by this morning to $3.87.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sid007

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
I saw footage from a helicopter here in metro Atlanta that showed that same sign.

I saw the footage too but cannot confirm the prices listed.
sid007

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Found IT [Big Grin]
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/gagb10409010035

AP article @ Yahoo

quote:
A gas station in Stockbridge, Ga., posts prices for gasoline from $5.87 to $6.07 per gallon Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005. (AP Photo/Gene Blythe)

BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 200 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Count yourself lucky.

One litre of unleaded will set you back about 1.40 here. Convert litres to gallons and euros to dollars (at last Friday's exchange rate of 1 to slightly more than $1.25, courtesy of Yahoo Finance) and you end up with

$6.85 per gallon in the Netherlands.

Blue "You surprised I don't drive?"

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AndrewR
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewR   E-mail AndrewR   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Balsamic Blue Byrd:
Count yourself lucky.

One litre of unleaded will set you back about 1.40 here. Convert litres to gallons and euros to dollars (at last Friday's exchange rate of 1 to slightly more than $1.25, courtesy of Yahoo Finance) and you end up with

$6.85 per gallon in the Netherlands.

Blue "You surprised I don't drive?"

You sure about your calculations? I get 1.40/litre = $1.75/litre (using 1=$1.25) = $6.62/gallon ([http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon]1 US gallon = 3.785 litres[/url])

Here in the UK the average price for unleaded was, last week, 92.3p/litre, which works out at $6.41/gallon. Apparently, some filling stations have made changes to thier price displays so that they've got space for the extra digit if/when it reached 1.

And unfortunately us non-drivers can only sit back and look smug until someone points out that higher fuel prices affect the cost of everything that's transported by road freight, which is a large proportion of everything here.

Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, as I pointed out on another thread, I paid 97.5p for regular unleaded at a BP garage this afternoon, and premium was selling at around 1.02 per litre (around $7.10 per USgal)

I don't know where you get you figures from Andrew, but I have been paying approx 94-96p/litre for a couple of months now, and the price has shot up this week already. Maybe you should change brokers!!!

(or send me some petrol in the post)

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
On one of the news shows, they showed a gas station in Atlanta, GA where it was around $7.00 a couple of days after the hurricane (a little less for regular, a little more for the better stuff). I'm pretty sure it was on "The Daily Buzz" on WB, which broadcasts out of Orlando, FL.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AndrewR
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewR   E-mail AndrewR   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:

I don't know where you get you figures from Andrew, but I have been paying approx 94-96p/litre for a couple of months now, and the price has shot up this week already. Maybe you should change brokers!!!

I got the numbers from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4208566.stm - not being a driver, I don't pay any attention to how much the petrol stations are charging.
quote:

(or send me some petrol in the post)

Hmmm, I don't think the Royal Mail would like me if I did that [Wink]
Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The (Puntrue) Percula
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The (Puntrue) Percula   E-mail The (Puntrue) Percula   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The sad part is that soon this will still be an amazing photograph, but in the sense that it will one day seem outrageously cheap, at least the way the prices are progressing now.
Posts: 38 | From: Huntington Station, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dumb Dane
Moose control

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dumb Dane   E-mail Dumb Dane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Todays gasoline prices in Denmark:

Unleaded: DKK 10,00 / Liter

That is $ 6,50 / Gallon.

But the worst thing is the price of the car itself. The charge for getting a car registrated in Denmark is outrageous 180% of the price of the car. That means that an average size Toyota costs DKK 230000 = $40000 all incl.

So I don't have a car myself. Simply can't afford it.

Dumb Dane

--------------------
I draw the prophet

Posts: 28 | From: Aarhus, Denmark | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages