snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Satellite photo of Katrina?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Satellite photo of Katrina?
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 102 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Found on Ronb(o)log. Looks a bit too, well, good to me:

http://www.anthonymontalbano.com/Katrina1615z-050829-1kg12.jpg

Or is skepticisor working overtime?

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, looks more like a computer generated image to me. From real satellite data most likly, but not an actual satellite photo.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The location looks spot on, I think you need your skepticisor flushing out to be frank (you can still be BoKu though)

It is a real pic of a hurricane, but which one, I don't know!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's legit. The same photo appears, along with many others, on the NOAA.GOV website.

ETA: Link

Wizard of Yendor might be correct in that it's not an actual photographic image, but some sort of composite created by satellite data though.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I dunno...it seems about right.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
it's can't be accurate, there is no red and blue road lines all over it, and florida is not that color, it's purple!

[fish] ok..ok..it's just a joke.

Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu

Icon 212 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
It's legit. The same photo appears, along with many others, on the NOAA.GOV website...

Thanks, good catch! It looks like case closed.
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/hurseas2005/Katrina1615z-050829-1kg12.jpg

This seems close enough to the original link url provided.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/hurseas2005/Katrina1615z-050829-1kg12.jpg

This seems close enough to the original link url provided.

Close enough? You can't get closer than that as it's the same photo.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Even if it's a legit photo, there's a great deal of distortion going on here caused by the curvature of the earth that exaggerates the size of the storm. The Gulf of Mexico appears to be nearly as large as the continental U.S.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The (Puntrue) Percula
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The (Puntrue) Percula   E-mail The (Puntrue) Percula   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks Google-Earth-y to me.
Posts: 38 | From: Huntington Station, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages