snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » photo of an enormous industrial tool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: photo of an enormous industrial tool
LMNOP
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LMNOP   E-mail LMNOP   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Anybody know anything about this picture?

http://www.collegehumor.com/pictures/163353/

Oh yeah, there may be some mildly NSFW stuff on the site.

Posts: 23 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like something used when strip mining. Those things can be quite big.

ET correct spelling

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah it is a large bucket wheel. They use them up here for mining the oilsands. Not sure where this one is from

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah is a large bucket wheel extractor, used for strip mining and other large earth moving projects. The scale of these machines can be totally over whelming.

The Bagger 288 manufactored by Krupp, is the one pictured in the OP and is the largest make of bucket wheel in the world.

* Stands over 95 metres tall
* Is over 215 metres long (2.5 football fields)
* Weighs over 45,500 tons (yes that's 45 thousand tons!)
* Cost $100 million USD, took 5 years to design & manufacture and 5 years to assemble
* Only Requires 5 people to operate
* The Bucket Wheel is over 70 feet in diameter with 20 buckets each of which can hold over 15 cubic metres of material. A 6-foot man can stand up inside one of the buckets.
* It moves on 12 crawlers (each is 3.6 metres wide, 2.4 metres high and 14 metres long)
* 8 in front and 4 in back
* Has a maximum speed of 10m/min
* It can remove over 76,455 cubic metres of overburden each day.

The picture linked in the OP is a picture of a Bagger 288 crossing a highway in Germany enroute to a stripmine.
Article with more pictures, translated by Babelfish
 -

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of the cable shows (Mega Machines, or something like that) did a show on these. The one they showed was used in Germany. I think they said it takes about a year just to assemble one of these, and that's after all the parts have been made. They run non-stop, 24/7/365.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
OK, so how does the road work in the OP? it looks like it's heading right into the crawlers of the machine (or just to the left of them). Surely they wouldn't have traffic going under the thing, would they?

Also if this is real, why is it on collegehumor?

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
OK, so how does the road work in the OP? it looks like it's heading right into the crawlers of the machine (or just to the left of them). Surely they wouldn't have traffic going under the thing, would they?

Also if this is real, why is it on collegehumor?

-Tim

I look like they are moving it from one site to another. These thing cost million of dollors to build and if you can move it even at the cost of sever million to it. It is still cheaper than buying a new one.

This it a picture of one while it is crossing a road. They have built a earth ramp to the level of the road on both sides and the front tracks are over the road.

These things move very slowly do to size and weight. So the road was probably blocked for some time, not to mention there was plenty of warning it was coming. So anyone wanting pictures would have plenty of warning and time to take pictures.

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks that makes sense -- especially since people are out of their cars (I hadn't noticed that before).

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw a special (I thnink it was Modern Marvels) where they were talking about this machine. They followed it on its journey through the German countryside...very impressive. At one point it passed another shovel (same design, but slightly smaller) traveling in the opposite direction.

Since the thing is electrically powered, they hade to run long "extension cords" to keep it powered.

Absolutely amazing.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin2020:
I saw a special (I thnink it was Modern Marvels) where they were talking about this machine. They followed it on its journey through the German countryside...very impressive. At one point it passed another shovel (same design, but slightly smaller) traveling in the opposite direction.

Since the thing is electrically powered, they hade to run long "extension cords" to keep it powered.

Absolutely amazing.

I remember watching that or some other show on The Learning Channel about big strip mining machines.

As an environmentalist, I hate strip mining.

But as an engineer, and as a guy, damn, those machines are really cool.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast burger with fries:
As an environmentalist, I hate strip mining.

But as an engineer, and as a guy, damn, those machines are really cool.

I'm the same way. I hate the massive enviromental damage that certain massive engineering projects have caused, things like strip mining, hell regular mining, dams, river rerouting, draining swamp lands... but from a purely engineering point of view... damn they are cool.

It reminds me of that old Onion headline "Peace Activist Has to Admit that Barrett 50 Caliber Sniper Rifle is Pretty Cool"

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages