snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Redneck Cherry Picker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Redneck Cherry Picker
Judge_Knot
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The joke is obvious...my question is, do you think this rig is really holding this guy up there? Lord knows, if they don't have enough money to buy a real cherry picker, they don't have enough money to get me to crawl up this thing.

http://rhost1.zfx.com/OZX/Blobs/blob56363.jpeg

Please note, you may need to look at this quickly because he changes his px often, and I'm not sure that I linked in a more permanent way. I really don't know how to do this px link thing.

Anybody giving lessons? [dunce]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It looks real.

It also looks real stupid.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think this was in a series of pix posted here a while back, including a man working under a truck held up by 2 bah 4's.

The consensus was that most of them, and this one, were taken in Mexico.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
It looks real.

Stupid, yes...

But at the same time...

I can picture me and my friends going "Awright!" and high-fiving each other if we pulled out such a stunt!

Darn, why can't more fun stuff be safe too?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I guess if one had a lot more time than money... Because it would take like forever to come up with that rig...

IF -- and this is a BIG if, the supports were done properly, it wouldn't be that unsafe. The back of the ladder is (presumably) wedged up against the back gate of the truck, so it's not going anywhere. If the ladder support boards are properly sized, properly attached, and the like -- why is this particularly unsafe?

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Having more time than money is a very common problem in third world countries. I don't know that it's real, but I've seen enough other unsafe stuff in other coutries that it wouldn't surprise me.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Having more time than money is a very common problem in third world countries. I don't know that it's real, but I've seen enough other unsafe stuff in other coutries that it wouldn't surprise me.

Same here. I've seen multistory scaffolding made of bamboo in Hong Kong and it looked surprisingly stable.
(OK, HK is not third world but the idea is the same)

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My neighbors did nearly the same thing when they re-shingled their roof. The whole thing rocked back and forth when someone would move on it. I kept waiting for it to fall over, till one of them got the bright idea to duct tape it to the rain gutters at the top.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Some problems with that picture:

It looks like the light pole is in the middle of no where. The light pole also looks too tall. It doesn't even look like the truck's on a road. I don't know but I'll say it's a nice photoshop job.

BTW, it looks like the man on the ladder has a body belt where the telephone pole should be. Fake.

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by verycoolnin:
Some problems with that picture:

It looks like the light pole is in the middle of no where. The light pole also looks too tall. It doesn't even look like the truck's on a road. I don't know but I'll say it's a nice photoshop job.

BTW, it looks like the man on the ladder has a body belt where the telephone pole should be. Fake.

I personally find no reason to believe this is manipulated:

1) Zoom in on the person. He's holding the glass cover from the lamp fixture. This would be hard to photoshop without leaving traces, and it's a detail that wouldn't be necessary to convey the "ha ha" of the picture.

2) How do we know this is in the "middle of nowhere"? We see a truck (and can't see the surface the truck is sitting on, and in the far background we see some hills/mountains. At the given resolution we don't know if this is at the side of a road, or a dirt parking lot, or...

3) "Truck not on road" please explain why you believe this -- the bottom of the picture is cropped out and you can't see what the truck is sitting on. It could well be on the shoulder of a road or, as I mentioned, a dirt parking lot.

4) "Pole too tall" -- not in my humble opinion. Seems like a viable light pole to me.

5) The man appears to have a tool belt on.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it is real, why didnt they lean the ladder against the light pole instead of going past it? Or couldn't it handle the weight?

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
naharnahekim
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naharnahekim   E-mail naharnahekim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
"If it is real, why didnt they lean the ladder against the light pole instead of going past it? Or couldn't it handle the weight?"

This is a guess, but they are probably replacing more than one bulb, in more than one lamppost.

as far as it being unsafe, that depends entirely on how well it's bolted/screwed/nailed together. If it's well put together, there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. I've made similar structures while working in the theatre. Some times it's just easier to build your own ladder than going out and buying one.

Posts: 45 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
If it is real, why didnt they lean the ladder against the light pole instead of going past it? Or couldn't it handle the weight?

He doesn't need to get to the top of the pole -- he needs to get to the lights, which extend 10-12' (my guess) from the top of the pole.

-Tim

Revolution 9

Looks plausible to me, judging by the lorry, which seems to be an old Hino to me but I could be wrong, either way I suspect the lorry is an old Japanese-built tipper, and the background, I'd be tempted to say that it's in either the Indian subcontinent sort of area, or possibly a developing country in the Asia Pacific sort of area, which makes a contraption like that entirely possbile, judging by what I know about the vehicles that developing states in those regions often use, and the ingenious/insane and foolish ways they customise them different duties, it doesn't strike me as at all unusual that instead of wasting valuable cash they don't have in buying a lorry with cherry-picker equipment or adapting one of their existing tipper units to suit, they'd just hammer something like that together to replace streetlight bulbs, then when that job was done pull all the laddering off and send the lorry back to work down the local quarry or whatever it did before that.
Speaker for the Dead
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead   E-mail Speaker for the Dead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The photo doesn't seem to be there anymore.
Posts: 148 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think the same image can be found here, though I didn't see the original, so I'm only going on assumption.
Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yep, that's the one.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
It looks real.

Not to mention dangerous and poorly constructed. All the latest technology we have on a safer way on changing a lightbulb and the guy creates a 12 foot ladder with 2 by 4s that can snap like toothpicks depending on his weight.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
All the latest technology we have on a safer way on changing a lightbulb and the guy creates a 12 foot ladder with 2 by 4s that can snap like toothpicks depending on his weight.

It's called money. And some people don't have enough.

Also, my entire home is framed with "2 by 4s that can snap like toothpicks". 2x4's are very strong, when used properly. Had they cantilevered the ladder out from the truck much, yes that would be stupid. But it's "all those 2x4's" that make it both look 'scary' but actually support the ladder and probably make it reasonbly safe.

-Tim

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Some other funny pics like this here: http://www.davesditches.com/friends/funny/workplace%20safety.pps

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

I never understood what the big deal was about the guy on the ladder in the pool either. I doubt many places would want to drain an entire pool just to drill a hole above it... The cord is certainly out of the water, appears to be grounded, and might even be connected to a GFCI outlet, which would be even safer.

What bothers me most about that picture is all the drill shavings would land in the pool. If I were to do this I'd try to catch some of it in a tray on the later, or float a tarp on the water, or something...

-Tim

Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
It's the guy in the bermudas and polo shirt hanging around the folks wearing contamination suits and air packs that got to me. I really have to wonder if that is staged or a training exercise or something equally uncontaminated.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 203 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
I never understood what the big deal was about the guy on the ladder in the pool either. I doubt many places would want to drain an entire pool just to drill a hole above it... The cord is certainly out of the water, appears to be grounded, and might even be connected to a GFCI outlet, which would be even safer.
-Tim

It is a metal ladder. He is soaking wet (look at his clothes). If he gets zapped he's pretty well grounded.

He should have either drained the pool or devised a platform to keep the ladder out of the water.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
It's the guy in the bermudas and polo shirt hanging around the folks wearing contamination suits and air packs that got to me. I really have to wonder if that is staged or a training exercise or something equally uncontaminated.

The consensus last time this was discussed was exactly what you concluded.

-Tim

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
It is a metal ladder. He is soaking wet (look at his clothes). If he gets zapped he's pretty well grounded.

He should have either drained the pool or devised a platform to keep the ladder out of the water.

If the drill was on a GFCI outlet he'd be very safe. Most people aren't going to drain thousands of gallons of water just to drill a hole or two. Of course they could have tried to schedule this when the pool were to be changed anyway...

-Tim

sid007

404 on the picture. Can someone rehost it?

Try imageshack.us or another image host.

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

scroll up a few messages -- a few additional sources were posted which still work.

-Tim

AndrewR
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewR   E-mail AndrewR   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In a similar vein is this "creative" use of forklift trucks.
Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages