snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Fatal Consequences of Masturbation (NFBSK) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fatal Consequences of Masturbation (NFBSK)
Demonic Matt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Demonic Matt   E-mail Demonic Matt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

is this real??

Posts: 60 | From: North Wales | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Those look like drawings to me, not actual photographs.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Those look like drawings to me, not actual photographs.

- snopes

With all due respect to snopes, with the second edition being in 1844, I would suspect that cameras had not become commonplace.

I may be mistaken...

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post 
Amazingly, no mention of blindness.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
With all due respect to snopes, with the second edition being in 1844, I would suspect that cameras had not become commonplace.
But since its authenticity is in question, how do you know it was really published in 1844?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It is generally a good idea to stop masturbating when you've been doing it so long that you are coughing up blood.

It's probably a better idea to stop once your legs give way.

I suspect that if this is fake the pictures were for something else and the captions got attached to them later.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
An Underground Education by Richard Zacks has copies of several "educational" flyers from the 1800-1900 period similar to this. One in particular from a pamplet called Boyhood's Perils & Manhood's Curse (1858) showed a woodcut in a style very similar to the OP.

In Victorian medicine masturbation was widely touted as an almost universal cause of everything from insanity to hair loss. A Dr. Reveille Parise was quoted in 1823 as saying "In my opinion neither the plague nor war has had more disastrous effects for mankind than ths miserable habit of masturbation."

The Graham Cracker believe it or not was invented by a Mr Sylvester Graham as a cure for masturbation. Dr. John Kellogg, founder of the now immense food product company, in particular made it his quest to end "self harm" in young men.

Given that I would be pretty open to the idea that this might very well be from a pamplet or book from that era.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post 
I imagine that it stopped by necessity by the antepenultimate stage when his "limbs stopped moving."

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I imagine that it stopped by necessity by the antepenultimate stage when his "limbs stopped moving."

But then why did he "stiffen"?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Obviously fake. Picture 5 says he can no longer stand while picture 8 shows him doing just that!
[Wink]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If you're asking whether the drawings came from a real 19th century manual or pamphlet warning about the dangers of masturbation, then it's possible.

If you are asking whether these are actual consequences, then no. Stroke to your heart's content. [Smile]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Obviously fake. Picture 5 says he can no longer stand while picture 8 shows him doing just that!
And picture #9 says he went bald at an early age, but in all the subsequent pictures (including the post-mortem one) he has a full head of hair!

- snopes

Saraquill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Are you sure? It looks like a turban to me.

Sara Quill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Can any French speaking snopester let us know for sure if the translation are fairly accurate? They look like they were added in later and weren't part of the original document, if in fact it is real.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

A google search for the French title of the book brings up several links attributed the book to someone named Mauricette Lecomte.

A French Book Collecting Site describes the book as "a history of love." This site seems to suggest that this Mauricette Lecomte is not the books author, who is described as anonymous, but some sort of book historian or scholar who is familier with the book.

--------------------

Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Can any French speaking snopester let us know for sure if the translation are fairly accurate? They look like they were added in later and weren't part of the original document, if in fact it is real.

Oui, les traduisons sont vrais, mais je ne sais pas si le journal est vrai. (Yes, the translations are correct, but I don't know if the article is legitimate.)

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:

Oui, les traduisons sont vrais, mais je ne sais pas si le journal est vrai. (Yes, the translations are correct, but I don't know if the article is legitimate.)
Les traduisons??? Les traductions...

Aside from that...Yes the translations are correct.

ETA: May be my malinformed Quebecism... Oulazawouzou where are you?

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The symptoms sound like radiation poisoning to me. Perhaps he should be more careful about what he chooses to use as a lubricant.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake. It makes no mention whatsoever of hairy palms, so it's definitely a fake.
Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TabbyCa
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 302 posted      Profile for TabbyCa         Edit/Delete post 
Aren't these all the symptoms of syphilis?
Posts: 16 | From: Ontario | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
It is generally a good idea to stop masturbating when you've been doing it so long that you are coughing up blood.

Really???!!!!

Crap...

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This is one of the most rational Chick tracts I've ever seen.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alistair:

Tá na cara, né?

Luís "I think those guys in the wrong hemisphere do not know about the real effects of masturbation" Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
This is one of the most rational Chick tracts I've ever seen.

LOL

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Nor is there anything about blindness.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
quote:

Nor is there anything about blindness.
No dead kittens or crying Jesus either.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
so this happens on the first time or after prolonged masterbation?

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Don't worry; you can always just do it until you need glasses...

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
The Graham Cracker believe it or not was invented by a Mr Sylvester Graham as a cure for masturbation. Dr. John Kellogg, founder of the now immense food product company, in particular made it his quest to end "self harm" in young men.
I don't believe it.

As I heard it, they were invented to combat lust in general, not just masturbation. "[Graham] thought men should remain virgins until age 30 and then should make love only once a month--not at all if they were sickly."

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Should have shown him having a go at it on his death bed, too. Nothing better to do while you're lying there waiting to die (aside of atone, I suppose).

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Is that font type (either in french or english) likely to have been used? Would it have printed so clearly?
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Reminds me of the inside cover of Pearl Jam's Vitalogy.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by aranea russus:
Is that font type (either in french or english) likely to have been used? Would it have printed so clearly?

None of the fonts used existed at the time, but it's entirely possible that this is a scan of a modern reprint of the old images.
Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From the descriptions, sounds like the poor lad went through morning sickness, pregnancy, and then died when he found out his body couldn't give birth...

Trish "A tooth for every child" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post 
After looking closely,the guys are different in every picture.Some are blond,some are dark haired,different facial features.

My guess is that the picture may be real,but were about something different entirely.Maybe each picture showed the effects or symptoms of a different disease or illness.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages