snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Moon over Acropolis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moon over Acropolis?
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Saw this posted in a forum I subscribe to. Many think it's fake-while it looks like it could possibly be enhanced, I thought I'd post it here to get an expert opinion from Snopesters [Big Grin]
 -

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How do you mean, "fake"? I guess there could be a yellow filter involved, but what else suggests it's fake? The moon looks that large because it's taken from a distance with a zoom lens.

Here's a map of the Acropolis showing the Parthenon - it seems to be aligned as you'd expect if you stood to the west of it and looked at the moon rising over it in the east. So the view is perfectly plausible. If you were really feeling thorough you could check the markings on the moon and make sure they were the right way up for Greece.

(edit) I assume the Parthenon itself is floodlit in the picture, not lit by the moon. If you're assuming moonlight then I can see that it would look wrong.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There's a very thin, grey line between 'fake' and 'enhanced'... some would argue that if I 'enhance' the color of a photo I've taken and tweek the lighting, or take out an unsightly phone pole from an otherwise unmarred skyscape, the photo has been 'faked' because the image isn't a true representation of what the camera captured. Nevermind photographers have been doing it for decades to get the most pleasing image possible, but that's just me.

Anyway.

It's very possible that this is a composit of the Acropolis and a telephoto shot of a full moon. What could be inspiring the 'fake' comments is the ridgid outline below the Acropolis. I've seen other shots of it lit like that even without the moon's presence (there are a couple of good ones on the 'Yanni, Live at the Acropolis DVD), but in most of them the detail under the hill on which it stands isn't so well defined as this one. It just seems to have an unnaturally sharp outline to it, somehow.

It also looks as if the night sky and the area under the Acropolis is all the same shade, but that may be a result of the picture being shrunk down from some larger size.

~Psihala
(*Has a few extra loose pennies laying around tonight...)

Edited to clarify a sentence or two.

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
... Just realised that it probably isn't the Parthenon in the top picture. Your two pictures don't show the same building. But I still don't see anything inherently "fake" looking about the top one.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The top picture appeared in 'MX', an evening throwaway here in Melbourne. It's captioned, "A spectacular full moon rises behind the ancient temple of Poseidon in Sounio, about 73 km south-west of Athens". The moon is not nearly as yellow in MX.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's definitely been enhanced. The yellowness gives it away, along with the largeness of the moon, which is an eye-illusion. A camera shows the moon smaller. A telephoto might have done it, Richard W, but I have my doubts. Also, the front lighting on the building hints that this is probably a double exposure, given the different brightness of the moon and lights.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The moon is at its closest point in many years this week contributing to the illusion of size. A version of this photo appeared in my local paper this morning. Looks like it was taken a little earlier than this one. Be back with links.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Impossible to tell for sure at this low resolution, but I'd say this has been altered at the very least.

-Yellow hue
-Inconsistent lighting
-Unnatural boundary at the bottom of the ruins

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Haven't been able to link to the photo I saw this morning but I did find this one also in Greece. Seems like Greece was the place to be for the moon yesterday.

I'm wondering why the color is putting everyone off. Surely you've seen orange and yellow moons before? Especially at moon rise or set when the moon is low in the sky. It's a trick of the atmosphere.

Gibbie

--------------------

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

It's one of a series of photos shot by AP Photographer Petros Giannakouris. The ruins are the ancient temple of Posseidon in Souino.

I found these images in a Yahoo! News search the results page is here.

Because I don't know how long that page will be valid, here are links to the individual shots in the series:

Moon rise

The next in the series and the one that appeared in my paper

The photo from the original post.

Moon at the Olympic Sculpture

Gibbie

--------------------

IZaNaMI
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IZaNaMI   E-mail IZaNaMI   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050623.html

I found this at the astronomy picture of the day website so it may be real.

ETA: Oh and hello everyone, pleased to meet you.

Posts: 17 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by StewPot:
-Inconsistent lighting
-Unnatural boundary at the bottom of the ruins

It's dark in the picture, and the building is floodlit. There's nothing inconsistent about the lighting once you realise that the temple isn't lit by moonlight. The "unnatural boundary" is just a dark ridge in the foreground.

Anyway, Gibbie's found the source so it's a moot point.

Hello IZaNaMi!

abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The APOD gives the best description. A "Well planned" photo. And with a telephoto, Richard.

The text of some of those link kinda hint that the moon has "swooped" closer to the earth all of a sudden, to explain the larger size, when, in fact, it's the photo equipment that makes it appear so much larger.

The different sizes of the moon at perihelion ad aphelion are measurable, but not as noticable visually as the photo would imply.

Comparison of size.

The distance difference is about 50km, or a little more that one earth diameter. sounds like a lot until you consider actual distance, ~375km.

--------------------

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd been led to believe as a kid that the largeness of the moon when rising was an optical illusion that could only be seen with the naked eye and couldn't be captured on film - that if you tried to photograph a rising moon, it would appear 'normal' size. (I have no idea where this claim came from...)

Clearly not the case from these pictures!

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

quote:
Originally posted by lots of stars in the Little Galaxy:
I'd been led to believe as a kid that the largeness of the moon when rising was an optical illusion that could only be seen with the naked eye and couldn't be captured on film - that if you tried to photograph a rising moon, it would appear 'normal' size. (I have no idea where this claim came from...)

Clearly not the case from these pictures!

No, you are correct. The Moon Illusion is a well-documented, but unsolved mystery.

The "big moon" in the above photo was taken with a telephoto camera lens, which magnifies the image. If you were to have taken the picture with a 50mm lens, which approximates the field of view of the human eye, you would have a fairly small moon.

For an example of magnification that I am particularly proud of:

-

Taken thru my telescope eyepiece with a cheapie digital, handheld.

--------------------

abbubmah

Icon 607 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Couldn't help it! THIS is an unretouched PHOTO taken out my back yard!!!! 11111!!! OMG OMG!!! Its teh end of the world!!! OMG!!! HAXORS!!!

-

--------------------

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh I wish I could see it - I've been enjoying your input into this thread, Ole Pappy! [Frown]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Copy and paste

http://notforprophet.org/pictures/bigmoon.jpg

to see Ole Pappy's 'unretouched' photo

and

http://notforprophet.org/pictures/moon.jpg

to see the magnification photo.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Friggin' Frackin' Hotlink protection - I forgot to add the snopes board to the list.

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Pappy:
The yellowness gives it away, along with the largeness of the moon, which is an eye-illusion. A camera shows the moon smaller. A telephoto might have done it, Richard W, but I have my doubts.

The size of the moon on film (mm) is equal to the focal length of the lens (mm) divided by 109.

Magazines do use composites for pictures like this -- one of the moon with a long lens and one of the subject with a shorter lens. I think this may be the case with this picture.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti:
Oh I wish I could see it - I've been enjoying your input into this thread, Ole Pappy! [Frown]

[lol]

Oh thanks, I see it now and it was worth coming back for - that is my laugh of the day, thank you! [lol]

PS Didn't know Athens was in Louisiana! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages