snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Duel Masters deleted scene (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Duel Masters deleted scene
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Conekiller/DuelMastergirl.jpg

This is allegedly a scene from the original Japanese version of Duel Masters, which was cut from the US dub for obvious reasons. Is it real?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dumbdiety
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Probably, the Japanese don't have the "titty taboo" like we do here, so that wouldn't have even phased kids.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dumbdiety:
Probably, the Japanese don't have the "titty taboo" like we do here, so that wouldn't have even phased kids.

Wouldn't Titty Taboo make a great message board screen name?

Every once in awhile, I see something in a post that my warped mind (should probably be medicated) feels compelled to take out of context.

- P :icon 506:
(yes I know that doesn't work)

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post 
Every anime fan knows that any anime going into the US is tranformed and americanized as much as possible.Check this for the step by step changes.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

Compared to some of the stuff american dubbing companies change,this is nothing.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
Every anime fan knows that any anime going into the US is tranformed and americanized as much as possible.Check this for the step by step changes.

Compared to some of the stuff american dubbing companies change,this is nothing.

I'm still fuming at Disney's need to wrap Miyasaki's "Spirited Away" up with a nice jokey punchline ending on the English dub. [Mad]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah neffti, I agree.
Or the tweaqking of Zaneba's explination of Hoku and dragons in general.
But then again...the gouts of blood everywehre were left in for some strange reason.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There's been worse stuff than that on anime.

And in manga (japanese comic books) there's some sick stuff in there too... that's why some have +17 ratings...

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You're right Kitsune, so much of that beautiful delicately crafted story was smashed to bits.

As for the gore being left in - I heard Disney closed its hand-drawn animation studios a few years back. At least they didn't try and scribble over the frames eh?

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missie   E-mail Missie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remember back when Pokemon was big I'd see random screenshots from the japanese version of the show, most of which involved James (of Team Rocket) well... cross-dressing. Extremely cross-dressed, you might say. In that he has boobs. Rather large ones, that seemed to get bigger. And is wearing makeup and is in a bikini. I don't speak japanese and have never seen the episode(s) in question, so I'm not sure if it was some kind if 'disguise' or if it was just for his enjoyment.
Posts: 98 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
True neffti.
SuperGoten (sweet name by the way) my commment was more in the vein that it seemed like "Spirited Away" was reworked for kids, but that something that could be pretty disturbing to some I.E Hoku hawking up gobbits of blood and thrashing around in pain was left in.
And I love the anmie and maga that has a bot of gore.
Right now I'm working my way through "Priest." Gore and zombies and cowboys. Oh my!

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Okay...so are the screencaps real?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ian - Crawling on a Mirror
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Okay...so are the screencaps real?

Probably. I've heard that Duel Masters doesn't take itself seriously, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was real.

(Though for the record, Duel Masters is an utterly bizarre marketing "trick" gone horribly wrong. Basically, Wizards of the Coast [a US based Pnp/CCG company] made a clone of Yu-Gi-Oh and began to market it over in Japan. They then made a huge deal about "importing" it over to the US, which of course spawned countless amounts of merchandise and an anime.)

As for Team Rocket...

quote:
I remember back when Pokemon was big I'd see random screenshots from the japanese version of the show, most of which involved James (of Team Rocket) well... cross-dressing. Extremely cross-dressed, you might say. In that he has boobs. Rather large ones, that seemed to get bigger. And is wearing makeup and is in a bikini. I don't speak japanese and have never seen the episode(s) in question, so I'm not sure if it was some kind if 'disguise' or if it was just for his enjoyment.
In that particular episode, Jessie wanted to win the prize for a bikini contest (particularly wanting to stop Misty from winning, IIRC). So in order to increase their chances of winning, James got dressed up too. Personally I think the best part of the episode is where James brags to Misty that his breasts are bigger. Hehe.

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post 
Now that I think about it it's not uncommon at all to see crossdressers in anime.Sometimes we see characters who crossdress as a lifestyle.Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi comes to mind.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missie   E-mail Missie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Now that I think about it it's not uncommon at all to see crossdressers in anime.Sometimes we see characters who crossdress as a lifestyle.Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi comes to mind.

Also Sailor... Uranus, I think? I didn't actually watch the show almost at all but I hung out with a few people who did who explained to me at one point that a pair of the Sailor Scouts (I believe it was Uranus and Neptune, but my memory may be a little off) were lesbians, and the one with the short blonde hair (again, I believe it was Uranus) often dressed and acted like a boy. There was also some speculation that s/he was actually a hermaphrodite. I don't know if they even imported the pair in the series to america, but it seems like they wouldn't, since they couldn't change Uranus to a boy since she also occasionally wore dresses (though they did change a gay male character to a girl upon importing it).
Posts: 98 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squeaky
Little Discounter Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeaky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Don't forget the Sailor Stars (I believe anyways). They didn't even make it to N.A. 'cuz when the male Stars powered up, they morphed into women. I think the problem people over here have is the assumption that animated=made for kids, as a lot of anime most certainly is NOT. (Akira comes to mind)
Slight sidetrack: Does anyone know if the dubbed version of Princess Mononoke (sp?) available here the original or edited?

--------------------
"I think I just had an evilgasm."-Xykon, OOTS

"Sacrificing minions: Is there any problem it can't solve?" -Xykon, OOTS

"Whooooooo! I'm invisible!"-Elan, OOTS

Posts: 139 | From: G-dot (aka Guelph), Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

That's not true. Hackjobs like One Piece are a lot rarer nowadays (and almost all of them come from 4Kids)...

Also, fans tend to bitch whenever a single thing is changed, no matter how minor it is (An name spelled in a different, but equally accurate, way, or an attack name translated differently or even translated at all, etc).

quote:
Originally posted by Squeaky:
Don't forget the Sailor Stars (I believe anyways). They didn't even make it to N.A. 'cuz when the male Stars powered up, they morphed into women.

People have tried to license Stars, but Toei won't let them. Last I heard, it was some bullNFBSK about "ruining the image of Sailor Moon in America" (an image they helped to create, I might add). Actually, I strongly suspect Toei doesn't give a damn about America...

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks to the anime fandom, I hate VGCats.

U.T.'s right on the money. 4Kids is the only company nowadays that continue to produce "hackjobs" [God I hate saying that]. If you want to look at real dubbing, look at companies like Funimation and Geneon, preferably the DVD releases as the TV versions are sometimes edited for time and all that. The majority of dubs these days are doing a good job at being accurate to the original. It's not perfect, but it's much, much better.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Yeah I see how brilliant they are too on trying. Such as ruining GodZilla's movies instead of texting american words leaving the Japan speaking the way they were.

I preferred them filming the Jap's Godzilla movies twice so the mouths are correctly speeched if they were going to do American voice movies.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti:
quote:

I'm still fuming at Disney's need to wrap Miyasaki's "Spirited Away" up with a nice jokey punchline ending on the English dub. [Mad]
I love Spirited Away and it certainly does not surprise me that it would be screwed around with but I'm not familiar with this. What was it?

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Second the question about the change to Spirited Away. Despite coming through Disney, Miyazaki's movies seem fairly unedited from what I've read. For Kiki's Delivery Service, supposedly the only major edit was changing Kiki from drinking coffee to cocoa. I believe Princess Mononoke was pretty unedited, and thanks to the outcry of thousands of fans, Disney released it subbed and dubbed - and I consider it to be an excellently done dub.

Henry

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeKaFu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeKaFu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Missie:
quote:

Also Sailor... Uranus, I think? I didn't actually watch the show almost at all but I hung out with a few people who did who explained to me at one point that a pair of the Sailor Scouts (I believe it was Uranus and Neptune, but my memory may be a little off) were lesbians, and the one with the short blonde hair (again, I believe it was Uranus) often dressed and acted like a boy. There was also some speculation that s/he was actually a hermaphrodite. I don't know if they even imported the pair in the series to america, but it seems like they wouldn't, since they couldn't change Uranus to a boy since she also occasionally wore dresses (though they did change a gay male character to a girl upon importing it).
I believe in the dub the lesbians were made into "cousins". Don't hold me to that, though.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the pictures in the OP are real. Anime tends to have different standards than American cartoons. I mean, in Naruto, which is coming over to the states this fall, one of the main (male)character's abilities is changing into a naked woman (naughty bits covered by smoke, of course) and causing the perverted opponant to keel over with a huge nosebleed. A lot of kid's anime is full of plenty of bathroom humor, too, which is usually toned when it comes state-side.

I'll third the question about Spirited Away. I own the DVD, but I haven't gotten together the courage to look at the dub yet. Is it that bad?

First post. ^^;

Posts: 12 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 88 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Bloody hellstick on a snowmobile, people! Here's the real scoop on the Spirited Away dub:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=20

I can sort of understand being a bit doubtful about Disney these days, but they wouldn't be that stupid pull a FK, considering their history with Japan.

ETA: Removed a snark or two.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks real to me. The fact of the matter is that Japan's taboos are mostly concerned with the great culture of the country. Unlike America, they won't freak out over things that aren't really offensive. Just looks at a lot of things that Americans would take as offensive. Dude, we suck.

I just wonder who came up with the idea to put that rack on the body of a 10-year old.

Regarding the Poke'mon things mentioned, there were three episodes never released in America (Not including edited ones):
*The infamous "seizure" episode - self explanatory
*One where in the (Can't remember the name of the wildlife-preserve-type place), poke'mon are shot with some rifle.
*The earlier mentioned one with James. I heard they were "implants", like Marilyn Manson had for a while.

If you want a real good shot of censorship of imported things, check out Square-Enix's early 90's stuff (Final fantasy IV/V/VI and Chrono Trigger). I use RPG One Traslations for that.

Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missie
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Setzer:

*The earlier mentioned one with James. I heard they were "implants", like Marilyn Manson had for a while.

I think it was actually an inflatable suit. Which would've been unbearably warm in the sun.

There were also to my knowledge some episodes of pokemon that weren't shown/heavily edited due to the 'racist pokemon', Jynx. Which everyone apparently thought looked like a black caricature and got upset over. Eventually they changed her skin color to purple instead of black and that calmed some of them down.

U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:

I think it was actually an inflatable suit. Which would've been unbearably warm in the sun.

There were also to my knowledge some episodes of pokemon that weren't shown/heavily edited due to the 'racist pokemon', Jynx. Which everyone apparently thought looked like a black caricature and got upset over. Eventually they changed her skin color to purple instead of black and that calmed some of them down.

It was an inflatable suit. The breasts, anyway.

The games changed Jynx's skin to purple in the second generation (Gold, Silver, Crystal). The anime only got around to it very recently in Japan, for some reason.

There was also an episode banned due to the use of guns, and the infamous seizure-inducing episode is, iirc, banned world-wide (and it's probably not coincidental that Porygon never appeared in the anime again, and its evolution has never appeared period. Which is kind of unfair, since iirc Pikachu is the one responsible for causing the seizures anyway...)

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not sure, but pretty sure that the seizure inducing pokemon episode was shown down here...just with the colours and flashing toned down.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Belldandy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belldandy   E-mail Belldandy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
If you want a real good shot of censorship of imported things, check out Square-Enix's early 90's stuff (Final fantasy IV/V/VI and Chrono Trigger). I use RPG One Traslations for that.

Off-topic, buuttt...
To be fair, Nintendo America had a hand in that, not Square or its translators at the time. Nintendo America was really strict at the time about issues such as characters dying, sprites about 4 pixels big giving you sexy looks, or religious references. Here's an entertaining essay on the subject.

Posts: 43 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shotie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shotie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

It was so he could enter a swimsuit competition for prize money, if I recall correctly.

It was severely edited in the American release version-and hawked on TV for like a week as the "PREVIOUSLY BANNED EPISODE OF POKEMON!"

Yeah, I was a huge Pokenerd back in the day.

As for the original post, I don't see why it wouldn't be real. A lot of times in anime, they have 'sexual comedy' like this-and heck, this isn't even really that sexual. Just a girl snagging her boobs in a too-small ventalation shaft. I could totally see this being legit, especially after remembering that they edited the hell out of James's bikini episode. (There was a scene in it where he groped his 'breasts', and they bounced very lifelike in another scene. I have to say, James was a convincing girl.

Posts: 12 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DeKaFu:
quote:
quote:

I believe in the dub the lesbians were made into "cousins". Don't hold me to that, though.

Yes, they were made into cousins for the American dub (ack!).

Kissing Cousins?! LOL

Also, in the first season of Sailor Moon, Zoicite was made into a female for the American dub -- it's been commented that if Zoicite were indeed a female, she is the most flat-chested female in all of anime.

Zoicite photo here

They made him into a female because he was Kunzite's lover.

Silly America and it's homophobia!

Skye

ETA: I own the Sailor Stars (Sailor Moon final season) DVD box set. It can be purchased here [Smile]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tetsuo_the_great

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
man i hate that still some american translations of video games are censored but still rarily.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The General
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Why not have "Sailor Uranus" be a gender bender? Remember what happened to the titan Uranus?

Ouch.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Belldandy

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Belldandy   E-mail Belldandy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The General:
Why not have "Sailor Uranus" be a gender bender? Remember what happened to the titan Uranus?

Ouch.

This is why I love mythology. Revenge involves castration. XD
Posts: 43 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shinigami
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shinigami   E-mail Shinigami   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Niner:
[QB] ...Miyazaki's movies seem fairly unedited from what I've read. For Kiki's Delivery Service, supposedly the only major edit was changing Kiki from drinking coffee to cocoa.[\QUOTE]

Actually, I heard on another forum that there was a couple other edits to the film as well, namely the addition of panties, although that rumour has yet to be confirmed...

Posts: 7 | From: NC, US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tetsuo_the_great

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
yeah i think that they have an agreement that only dialog can be changed. that's why princess monoke was realeased through miramax because it was too violent to be released as a disney film.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JpnDude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JpnDude   E-mail JpnDude   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I heard the same in the last agreement between Disney and Ghibili. Disney was is not allowed to change scenes but only dialogue after approval from Ghibili.
Posts: 64 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages