snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Googly eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Googly eyes
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks 100% real.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CaliDude
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Looks 100% real.

If it weren't for the sheer distance of the stretched skin, I might almost believe it... plus, stretching skin that far, I wouldn't think it'd be sunk into the eye sockets like that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd say fake.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Nah. Fake. Pinched cheeks with the eyes photoshopped on top. Besides, what about the optic nerves? Surely they can't stretch that far.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The rim of the left eye (on the right of the image) sticks out beyond the edge of the cheek.

Edit: and aren't the eyes the wrong way around? The one on the left of the image looks like a left eye to me when it should be a right.

Edited again because I don't know my left from my right.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Hmmm...

It's more than likely a Photoshop job. It looks as though they copied the forehead skin and cloned it on top of the eye sockets.

Plus, I seriously doubt it's physically possible to do that.

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Umm.... yeah not physically possible. Like Ouch said, the forehead skin has been cloned to cover the eye sockets. A pretty good Photoshop job actually, but most definitely fake. People just well... can't do that. All the person in the photo is doing is basically pinching their cheeks. Someone just copied, flipped and moved the eyes down onto the cheeks and cloned some forehead skin to cover where the eyes really are.

Syl "Had to try REALLY hard to not type out "foreskin" accidentally" lavus

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
The rim of the left eye (on the right of the image) sticks out beyond the edge of the cheek.

Edit: and aren't the eyes the wrong way around? The one on the left of the image looks like a left eye to me when it should be a right.

Looking closely, I think you're correct. It looks as though the eyes were photoshopped in, but flipped upside down. The eyelashes seem to be more distinct on the bottoms of the eyes than the top (I could be mistaken, of course).

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So what's this have to do with my favorite search engine? [dunce]

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeuroKev
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroKev   E-mail NeuroKev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of the biggest problems with the picture is the eyebrows. If the person was able to pull their eyes out in that fashion, it would have to displace the eyebrows from the orbital ridge.

But I have to agree that it is a good Photoshop.

Posts: 73 | From: Bradenton, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake or not, that's scary enough to give someone nightmares.

Freaky!

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As you are looking at the screen, just above the finger tip below the socket is a wrinkle that perfectly matches the one right in the middle of the forehead between the eyes. As does the bump (pimple?) at the left end of same wrinkle. Going further, you can also match up many of the creases around it.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arluquin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 202 posted      Profile for arluquin         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:

The first thing that I noticed was that the eyes looked flipped; the pink thingy in the eye ( lacrimal caruncle ) is on the outer edge of the eye, not the inner. As well, the lashes look thicker on the inside of the eyes, whereas they are normally thicker and fuller on the outside of the eyes. The bottom lashes on the right eye (our right) are pointing towards the nose. Lashes usually point down or away from the nose. Plus the shaping of the eyes makes me think they have been reversed.

Not real, but interesting looking effect.

-arluquin

Posts: 122 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kenny2424

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Besides all the photoshop stuff has anybody relized how hard it is to get your eyeballs out of your eye sockets? That should debunk this photo
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SuperGoten:

Freaky!

Still, nowhere near as bad as the wormy-nipple pic.

Blue "Would quite like to sue someone about that one" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
darkhoody

Freaky, but fake.
RayPV
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 211 posted      Profile for RayPV   E-mail RayPV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Not only is it fake and physically imposible, but do you realize that, according to the picture, he isn't pulling his eyes down, his eyes are actually in his cheeks.
Posts: 43 | From: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Byrd, slathered in sunscreen:
quote:

Freaky!

UGH! My daughter and I both have nightmares about the 'breast rash' pic! [Eek!]

Nol ' Great...now I feel itchy ' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm incline to agree with the photoshop decisions.

True that some weird cases have popped up on Guiness World Records, but searches for "FACE, STRETCH, EYE" or other combinations including eyeball came up with no matches to this picture having been on Guiness.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RayPV:
Not only is it fake and physically imposible, but do you realize that, according to the picture, he isn't pulling his eyes down, his eyes are actually in his cheeks.

At first I thought that's what it was supposed to look like. Only after reading the input did I realize that people were supposed to think he was pulling them out.

Interesting bunch. [lol]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Definitely fake. That's completely impossible.

Here's something similar that's real, though:
http://www.chapter9photography.com/2005/bio/forehead_inflation.htm

WARNING: Even grosser.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Maybe he's an alien and that is his mask.

Remember MIB where the farmer Edgar Suit guy pulled his hair and stretched the face far up?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, that's probably it.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rafiki

quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:
I'd say fake.

I agree, its funny what you can to with a good morphing graphics program.
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
Definitely fake. That's completely impossible.

Here's something similar that's real, though:
http://www.chapter9photography.com/2005/bio/forehead_inflation.htm

WARNING: Even grosser.

No idea how that's viewed as 'similar' but it's certainly messed up. Just when you think you've seen it all... [Eek!]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady L
Squall of Me

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Lady L   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Byrd, slathered in sunscreen:
quote:

Freaky!

Ugh!!! How could you bring that up?! And just when I had forgotten about it... *shivers*

--------------------
The Snopester formerly known as RooBug

Posts: 556 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake, photoshopped. Actually, the eyes were swapped - left is on the right, right is on the left. The eyes on the face were covered with cheek skin in Photoshop.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
poutyangel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 37 posted      Profile for poutyangel   E-mail poutyangel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
first of all i think the pic is funny as hell. why any one would do it is another story.

quote:

ok im glad to see im not the only one who needs deep,intensive therapy to forget that! i think we should find the guy who made it and sue him!!!

--------------------
I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm fresh outta bubble gum! "Roddy Piper"

Posts: 30 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by poutyangel:
first of all i think the pic is funny as hell. why any one would do it is another story.

quote:

ok im glad to see im not the only one who needs deep,intensive therapy to forget that! i think we should find the guy who made it and sue him!!!
That one bugs the hell out of me. I'm not easily bothered by pictures and have been known to browse rotten.com for fun on occasion, and nothing has bothered me anywhere near as much as the wormy nipple pic.

I have a friend who comments semi-frequently about wishing that he could "unsee" something (usually rotten.com fare and the like), and now I finally know what he means.

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages