snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Wanna See a Dinosaur? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wanna See a Dinosaur?
kenny2424
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post 
This picture is supposedly of a pterodactyl shot down in the Civil War by Confederate troops. What do you think?

http://genesismission.4t.com/dinosaurs/Pteradactyl.jpg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm no photography/dinosaur buff, but it seems to me that;

i) This picture would be extremely easy to doctor with the bad quality, imperfections and sepia coulring.

ii) If this was a true happening, it would be a lot more well-known.

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kenny2424

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Yes I agree but still remember this is the Civil War there isn't any type of mass media at that time
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This picture has been posted here before, in much bigger and better quality. It's a fake, for a myriad of biological, paleontological, and historical reasons. First of all, a bird with a 30 foot wingspan would be pretty obvious in the sky, wouldn't it? It's not like they could easily hide, and in order to survive there has to be a large enough breeding population. This isn't a 6-foot biped hiding in remote forests. This isn't a coelacanth living in dark waters where humans rarely go. This bird would have to fly, and if it did, there would be written records and documented evidence of it.

And how exactly would they have shot this creature down? With musket balls?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kenny2424:
Yes I agree but still remember this is the Civil War there isn't any type of mass media at that time

I don't get your point. Are you implying that the picture can't have been doctored because there was no one to do it at the time??? If so, that's a bit silly. There was no Interenet either, but it's still managed to get on here... [fish]

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It was created for FreakyLinks.com ages upon ages ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247095/
http://www.haxan.com/portfolio/freakylinks/

The image was used on the website AND in the show at one point. I'll post again if I can find it.

Edit: Here you go: http://www.haxan.com/portfolio/freakylinks/WWWFRE~1.COM/DIARY/2000/082800~1.HTM

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie

That Freaky Links thing is weird, I'm guessing it's a tie-in website for the series or whatever, it starts off with Ethan Embry's character and what seems like a normal blog type thing but i checked the latest ones and they're like talking about someone being missing.

Are the pictures on the bits with Ethan Embry from the series? Or did they do all this extra publicity? I really want to see this show now.

--------------------

Kabouter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabouter   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kabouter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aside from the editing marks noted above, I can't help but think that the wings and crest (which differ from known specimens, btw) look very familiar. Anyone have copies of King Kong and Valley of Gwangi they want to check this against?

--------------------
"You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

Posts: 200 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Strange Magazine, which seems to be as extinct as the pterosaur, tried for years to track down the legendary "Thunderbird" photo of some Old West types who had gunned down an enormous bird and nailed its hide to the wall, Paul. This one turned up, and the magazine did an elaborate debunking of it, identifying some of the soldiers as twentieth-century Civl War re-enactors.

Brad "hail, iffen we'd of had them thangs, we woulda won" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Belletrist
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belletrist   E-mail Belletrist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I guess thunderbirds are a popular cryptzoology topic on the 'Net. I have seen no less than two photographs of soldiers and a pterodactyl, and one drawing based upon an alleged photograph of cowboys and a pterodactyl.

--------------------
There's no sense beating a dead horse- but if you've reached the point where you even seriously consider that abusing a dead animal might improve your lot in life, I say go ahead and give it a shot. --Anthony Myers

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Regina Felangie:
That Freaky Links thing is weird, I'm guessing it's a tie-in website for the series or whatever, it starts off with Ethan Embry's character and what seems like a normal blog type thing but i checked the latest ones and they're like talking about someone being missing.

Are the pictures on the bits with Ethan Embry from the series? Or did they do all this extra publicity? I really want to see this show now.

The show was so short-lived that I doubt it'll ever be released on DVD, sadly. The website was a tie-in bit of publicity for the show, yes, although only a few of the stories made it to TV, the pterodactyl story being one of them.

--------------------

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
This picture has been posted here before, in much bigger and better quality. It's a fake, for a myriad of biological, paleontological, and historical reasons. First of all, a bird with a 30 foot wingspan would be pretty obvious in the sky, wouldn't it? It's not like they could easily hide, and in order to survive there has to be a large enough breeding population. This isn't a 6-foot biped hiding in remote forests. This isn't a coelacanth living in dark waters where humans rarely go. This bird would have to fly, and if it did, there would be written records and documented evidence of it.

While there is no doubt in my mind that the picture is fake I would like to point out how I think a creature like that could fly and not be seen. In the Early 80's there was a film called Q: The Winged Serpant. The film was about a giant bird that the Aztecs used to worship as Qutzalcoatl. In the film the bird avoids detection by flying directly in front of the sun thus causing it to be unseen. I believe some ancient culture did something similar to this in order to sneek up on there enimies

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
I believe some ancient culture did something similar to this in order to sneek up on there enimies

Pray tell, which "ancient culture" do you believe not only possessed the ability to sustain self-propelled flight, but also the navigational ability to stay directly in between the sun and their localized enemies for long enough to sneak up for an attack?
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ok, let me get this straight.
quote:
In the film the bird avoids detection by flying directly in front of the sun thus causing it to be unseen.
The bird flys so that from every point of perception on the ground it is in front of the sun. This would mean that a) the bird would need to be so high in the sky that all reasonable viewpoints from the ground would see only the suns glare and b)it only ever took off at dawn and landed at dusk.

Wouldn't it be easier to suggest it was nocturnal?

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
I believe some ancient culture did something similar to this in order to sneek up on there enimies

Pray tell, which "ancient culture" do you believe not only possessed the ability to sustain self-propelled flight, but also the navigational ability to stay directly in between the sun and their localized enemies for long enough to sneak up for an attack?
On second thought I might have seen it on an episode of The Outer Limits. My mistake. Now I feel stupid.

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When on the attack, at about a mile out, the Quetzalcoatls would start singing Wagner. It scared the hell out of the Aztecs and these birds loved it.

Most interesting to me is kenny2424's source for the OP photo. It was taken from Genesis Mission.

quote:
It is part of the mission of Genesis Mission to help provide Christians with answers to areas where science seems to contradict the Bible. When Christians can provide answers to the questions raised by Evolution, it can remove a major stumbling block to the acceptance of the Gospel.

It is also part of the mission of Genesis Mission to reach the lost. This involves plowing away the thorns of Evolution, to gain fertile ground for the seed of the Gospel.

The photo is found in their section on Dinosaurs still alive.

quote:
This seems to be a genuine photo of a Pteradactyl, shot down by Confederate soldiers during the Civil war. A film crew shooting a movie in the south took a similar picture in an effort to recreate a famous photo, that was believed to have been lost. The picture above (the OP photo) seems to be the original.
Genesis Mission even has a section on Bigfoot!

Some may now want to check out a book by Ian Plimer called, Telling Lies for God: Reason vs Creationism.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dondi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dondi   E-mail Dondi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's gotta be fake. Look, the Confederate soldiers are dressed in Union uniforms. Hah, thought they could fool me.

--------------------
"It won't mean a thing in a hundred years." - John Popper

Posts: 695 | From: Southern Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake. A photograph this old would be extremely faded all over. Why are the soldiers uniforms and the dinosaur so black when the forest in the background is so faded?

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mgbdriver:
Fake. A photograph this old would be extremely faded all over. Why are the soldiers uniforms and the dinosaur so black when the forest in the background is so faded?

[devil's advocate] The picture could have been taken in the autumn and the trees and bushes were already much lighter than the soldiers' uniforms. Around here, the leaves turn brilliant shades of orange and yellow that may be consistant with the pic. [/devil's advocate]

I still think that it's fake.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CandE
Barbra Streisand Piper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CandE   E-mail CandE       Edit/Delete post 
did anyone notice the pic on freaky links is different from that pic?

-

--------------------
*Who appears to be hooked on something other then Phonics?*

*Healthy people are gonna look really stupid lying in hospital's dieing of nothing*

Posts: 127 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

[devil's advocate] The picture could have been taken in the autumn and the trees and bushes were already much lighter than the soldiers' uniforms. Around here, the leaves turn brilliant shades of orange and yellow that may be consistant with the pic. [/devil's advocate]
Orange leaves still show up as slightly dark in a B&W photo (sepia photos, like this one, are essentially black and white printed with brown ink instead of black).

You can get the white leaves by overexposing those areas of the print (assuming this is a print, of course) either in the lab or in the original film. Overexposure in the original film can result from exposing for a dark subject amid brighter backgrounds.

Another version, at bottom

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

I still think that it's fake.

Advocate: I was talking about the shadow detail and not the leaves themselves. Bearing in mind that if the photo was original, the negative would have been a glass plate coated with an emulsion that was orthochromatic (red blind); anything that was red would show up black on the print.

--------------------

my blog

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You're calling "fake" because the photo doesn't seem to have aged well and the colors are off?

Um...hell-o-o-o...

There's a giant dinosaur in the photo! Is that not reason enough to say it's fake?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
D
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D   E-mail D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ya, fake, first off it's not a Pterodactyl, it's a Pteronadon :-D, and second I think after 65 million years of evolution it might have changed a bit more........not a detailed photo i give u.

D

Posts: 22 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
And how exactly would they have shot this creature down? With musket balls?

The most common weapon at the beginning of the war was the 1842 Springfield Rifled Musket which fired a buck and ball load (69 calibre ball and some buckshot). The 1861 Springfield was deployed later in the war and fired a 58 calibre minie ball. Both had a range of about 500 yards (though 300 yards effective). That is, assuming a good shot, but most soldiers weren't -- there are many cases where soldiers fired over the heads of the enemy.

--------------------

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Ok, but do you think buckshot and minie balls could bring down a Pteranodon?

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer

quote:

How would hunting a pteranodon compare to hunting African elephant or American bison?

--------------------

Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Please tell me that this forum has not become so boring that we are forced to lob this offal back and forth.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:

How would hunting a pteranodon compare to hunting African elephant or American bison?
Don't you need an elepahnt gun to kill an elephant? [Wink]

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:

Don't you need an elepahnt gun to kill an elephant? [Wink]
Does this mean I can kill John Travolta with my grease gun?

--------------------

my blog

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
You're calling "fake" because the photo doesn't seem to have aged well and the colors are off?

Um...hell-o-o-o...

There's a giant dinosaur in the photo! Is that not reason enough to say it's fake?

The dinosaur is the reason that we are reviewing the pic.
The colors are our evidence that it is staged. If dinosaurs were a common sight, we wouldn't be debunking the photo, but since they have not been seen in the past 65 million year or so, we are skeptical. The poor coloring of the photo is merely another brick in the wall.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

My point was, why isn't the dinosaur itself proof that the photo is staged? Why do the technical components have to be analyzed?

--------------------

Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
My point was, why isn't the dinosaur itself proof that the photo is staged? Why do the technical components have to be analyzed?

Because the chances that it's a real pterodactyl-like creature, however slim, are still greater than zero.
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They're probably less than the chances that the photo happened to be placed in sunlight but just underneath some cardboard cutouts that were exactly the same shape as the soldier's uniforms and stopped those parts from fading... or something...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

quote:
Originally posted by CandE:
did anyone notice the pic on freaky links is different from that pic?

-

( http://www.haxan.com/portfolio/freakylinks/WWWFRE~1.COM/DIARY/2000/082800~1.HTM )

Check my link again. There are two different photos on the freakylinks site. The one you posted was purported to be the one the "author" found, but the one featured in this thread was the one shown on TV.

Furthermore, I think THAT would be the reasoning behind it being fake, wouldn't it? The site itself was fake, created for FOX. The images on the site, I have no doubt, were created for it as well.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages