snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Cat shocker!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat shocker!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: This is supposed to be the electrocuted cat and his toasted dinner.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
i could have lived my whole life without ever seeing this.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
And that's the only comment?

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
what else should i say, that it sickened me? it did.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That's a helluva electrocution! What was it supposedly electrocuted on?

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I ordered my cat well done, but this is taking it too far!

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elegist
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegist   E-mail Elegist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If the cat and its prey were so close together, why is the cat totally obliterated wile the rodent is barely singed (in comparison)? Unless the two were moved to be closer together, I don't know.

--------------------
"And the Lord our Savior said unto them: "pass the salt!" and lo and behold the salt appeared for he is JESUS and he will kick you in the nuts" (Whatever II, 24-18)

--Rikku

Posts: 75 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That and electricity might cook or scorch a body, but it won't dissolve it like that. That looks more like some kind of acid or corrosive.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I wish there had been a warning :/

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That is very advanced decomposition for the cat. No way is that electrocution. Looks like it probably included insect infestation (fly maggots).

The rat is recently dead and may have been placed into the scene. It has no fur and looks a bit like it was burned, but not severely.

It's possible that both of these animals died from electrocution. What is that structure above them? But the present state of the cat is from decomposition (bacteria and insect), not from the potential electrocution itself.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Could the cat possibly have burned?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by oh pleeze:
what else should i say, that it sickened me? it did.

I believe Little Duck was referring to the comment in the OP, not yours.

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:

Could the cat possibly have burned?

Well yes, maybe, but not to the point that we are seeing here. If it burned until all protein mass was "gone", then the bones would be incinerated as well.

Sorry to get graphic, but that surrounding floor stain and the intactness of the skeleton suggests a big maggot feast.

Electrocution may have been the cause of death.... but, decomposition (not incineration) is what produced the thing we are seeing in this photo.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Incidently are we all in agreement that the skeleton is that of a cat? I mean it looks about right to me, but I'm hardly an expert.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gaia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaia   E-mail Gaia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have seen a few electrocuted cats and dogs and nothing like that happens. They look as if it died from normal circumstances.

--------------------
Smile....It confuses people!

Posts: 29 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw an electrocuted owl once, and it was a little singed in some areas, but otherwise intact. I would assume that no amount of electricity could cause the effect in the OP.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Snopes- PLEASE post a warning about that. OMG.

Anyway... The tail does not look segmented enough to be that of a cat. also the rat in proportion to the skeleton almost makes it (skeleton) seem to big to be a cat. Who knows. Maybe it is the skeleton of the little bigfoot thing?

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Incidently are we all in agreement that the skeleton is that of a cat?
The skull is definitely feline, but this end result didn't come about from electrocution. Like Barns said, this decomposition took a long time and is the work of insects. Am I right in thinking that warm weather/high humidity would contribute to this much staining on the floor (that is, it accellerates the process)?

I don't know what the rat is doing there, but most likely it was placed there for the photo. If it had died along with the cat, the rat would be in the same skeletal condition.

So, basically, what Barns said. [Smile]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The tail doesn't look very segmented because it still has skin or whatever else over the bones.

Could be just my perception but there seems to be some bugs or maggots still in the chest cavity and maybe in some of the other muck around the skeleton.

Judging from the bloating, I'm guessing the rat is only a few days dead.

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elegist:
If the cat and its prey were so close together, why is the cat totally obliterated wile the rodent is barely singed (in comparison)? Unless the two were moved to be closer together, I don't know.

Spontanious kitty combustion ? It's well known that the kitty will burn up while things around it are barely singed. [Razz]

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah just what barns said, it doesn't have to be burned, the process of putrification (maggots or no) can spill guts and slime all over the place, and once that's dried out would leave the black marks you see around the skeleton.
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Coudl the rat have died a while later after eating part of the cat? Especially if the cat had been poisoned? That would explain the proximity and rate of decay. I think they just figured that the cat was electrocuted because it appears to have died near some sort of electrical device - a transformer? Correct me if I'm wrong, snopester electricians.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kenny2424
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I ampretty sure that this cat wasn't electrocuted, but badly decomposed. Then later on the scene was doctored to look like an electrocution or something. Then they took the photo.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The little rat thing looks like it's got no front paws...
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brownie59
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brownie59         Edit/Delete post 
this is my question. ifcat got totally and completed destroyed with the exception of his bone stucture, how come the rat looks fine?

--------------------
we are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream

Posts: 12 | From: texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I do not believe this is electrocution one bit.

This is more likely a batch of concentrated acid that melts just about anything but bone and concrete. It probably fell off of a science station on the cat and melted it down to the bone.

If you watched Seed Of Chucky, the "paparazzi scumbag" was scared from Glen and he ran into his shelf of chemicals fell to the floor and a jug full of SULPHURIC ACID smashed on his head leaving the chemicals eating away all his flesh slowly but surely.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages