snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Ninja's killed my family...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ninja's killed my family...
Jews in Space
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Not exactly along the lines of "banging" the enemy...

-

This has to be a setup. Real, but staged.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Probably not staged. Panhandlers can be creative. No one’s expected to believe the story, just give a buck for the laugh. Goes over particularly well in tourist areas, which this appears to be, judging by the all electronics in the shop window.

Best I’ve seen was a guy who walked into the subway with a saxophone, announcing that he needed money for lessons. He put the instrument to his lips and let out a series of screeches and honks that threatened to derail the train. When the tune was done he said, “Maybe I play okay as it is. Wanna hear another?” Pocketfuls of change appeared in open hands immediately.

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It looks like Barney from the lecter films!

J Barrows that reminds me of a tramp that busks in Leicester Square in London (Near Paris in Scotland to you USAians) Who cant play a note but earns good money by standing there all day just tuning it!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If I ever encountered this man on the street, I wouldn't hesitate to give him at least five dollars.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Reminds me of the guy with the sign
"Need money for beer, pot and hooker - Hey at least I'm not shitting you"

I'd post it, but something tells me not to google for beer pot and hookers at work.

It is a sad side effect of my job that the first thing I noticed was the erronious apostrophe.

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
BlueStar I saw a very similar one in NYC. It said, "Ah who am I kidding, I need money for booze."

ETA: I was trying to remember what the other one was and it came to me after I hit reply. I thought this one was great. It said, "Yell at me and tell me to get a job for $1."

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gameslave2

In SF I saw a guy on a corner holding a sign saying something like "Aliens kidnapped my family, was $0.38 short of ransom, need change!"
rinoz

ninjas killed my father and banged up my sister
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The nicest touch is the smily faces down at the bottom of the sign.

I'm guessing he's going after the ninjas for revenge and not because he loved his family because of the smily faces.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenerben
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenerben     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My hometown (Tacoma, WA) had a fairly large homeless population... Of the panhandlers, I'll bet that over 1/3 held signs that said, "Need beer money."

It must have worked, I guess.

Posts: 70 | From: Seattle (and sometimes Tacoma), WA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vesta
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesta   E-mail Vesta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A few years ago in El Paso there was a large man standing out on the median in a tuxedo, handing out candy to drivers with a cardboard sigh that read "Nothing---I work." My mom and I laughed all the way home.

Vesta

--------------------
Innocence, on the Bicycle of Propriety, carrying the Urn of Reputation safely over the Abyss of Indiscretion.

Posts: 1170 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gunslinger
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Gunslinger   E-mail Gunslinger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Look's like the money could be better spent on English lesson's than kung-fu.

Gun "Third Horseman of the Apostrophe" slinger

Posts: 34 | From: Longview, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Martha Washington

quote:
Originally posted by Gunslinger:
Look's like the money could be better spent on English lesson's than kung-fu.

Gun "Third Horseman of the Apostrophe" slinger

(Looking at the apostrophe in lessons)
I just hope you are being funny [Smile]

Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like publicity made. Any news articles to come with it to provide truth?

Similar article: (Madblast.com)

-

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty

Saw one in Denver a few years ago - "Why lie? I need a beer." I gave him a buck just for his honesty.
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I worked in clubs in the Division/Rush street atrea of Chicago many years ago, we would encounter a saddly large number of panhandlers. One guy walked up to us and said "Maahn, I'm toe (Tore)up from da flo (floor) up". My buddy, taking lessons at Second City at the time, told the guy that was the best thing he had ever heard, and handed him $10! My friend later used that line in an improv skit show we saw him in.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
It looks like Barney from the lecter films!

That's what I thought! [Big Grin]
He does bear a resemblance to Frankie Faison
 -

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Best one I ever heard was a guy (street-punk stile) approaching SO on the street saying "Got a buck for an anti-fascist bender?" - Got him enogh to buy several beers... [lol]

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Everyday the paper boy brings more
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was once approached by a homeless man who asked me a riddle. I thought about it for awhile, but I couldn't think of the answer, so I told him that I gave up. He made me pay a buck for the answer. I thought it was clever, so I gave him five bucks.
Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FaithHopeLOVE

quote:
Originally posted by Everyday the paper boy brings more:
I was once approached by a homeless man who asked me a riddle. I thought about it for awhile, but I couldn't think of the answer, so I told him that I gave up. He made me pay a buck for the answer. I thought it was clever, so I gave him five bucks.

How much  - do we have to give you to post the riddle?

Faith "Three men pay $20 for a hotel room..." Love

jumpinjonflash2

I saw some clever panhandlers in San Francisco.

One (not so clever) had a sign that said simply "smile." My friend said "Smile!" to the guy and he said "Fuck you!" No money for him.

There was another guy who hid behind a bush he carried with him and popped out and giggled every once in awhile. People were lining up to give him money.

SabrinaJL

quote:
Originally posted by jumpinjonflash2:

There was another guy who hid behind a bush he carried with him and popped out and giggled every once in awhile. People were lining up to give him money.

Hehe, I had this happen to me a couple months ago near Ghiradelli Square. Scared the crap out of my daughter. Wonder if it was the same guy.

In San Diego I saw a guy with a sign that said "I'm ugly but I'm hungry".

Tragic Story
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tragic Story     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jumpinjonflash2:

One (not so clever) had a sign that said simply "smile." My friend said "Smile!" to the guy and he said "Fuck you!" No money for him.

Yeah, that bush guy is a San Francisco staple. My family and I were walking back from looking at the harbor seals and we saw a tour bus stop, say "sush" at its passangers and just stood there until we walked past the bush man. Scared the hell out of my mom, but made the chinese tourists die laughing.

--------------------
-----------
"Societies are supported by human activity, therefore they are constantly threatened by the human facts of self-intrest and stupidity." --Peter Berger

Posts: 85 | From: Central Mass | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In Santa Barbara, on the pier, what some do, is setup a blanket with either buckets or some type of target on the beach below and turned it into a game or a type of coin toss. Pretty clever I think. See people tossing their change trying to make it into the buckets all the time. -EC
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages