snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » 2-headed Frenchman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2-headed Frenchman
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post 
Two-headed man, Pascal Pinon, born in 1887, Lyon, France. Photographed in 1927, aged 40.

I've seen this photo several times before from different sources and I've never seen its authenticity questioned. I don't doubt the photo itself is real and undoctored, but to my untrained eyes the extra head looks laughably fake, but then a two-headed man is not something I see everyday, so I'd be quite prepared to eat my words if this is real.

It's just that, to me, it looks about as convincing as the BBC's version of Zaphod Beeblebrox, i.e.

-

but then, I'm no expert. Anyone care to comment?

A google for "Pascal Pinon" brought up lots of French sites, which I can't make much sense of, and isn't helped by the fact that there's another Pascal Pinon who's a French film director.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to this:

Oscarfish [scroll down a bit]

it's fake, but it doesn't give any source either. Could not find anything else myself, but I guess it's fake. Two-headed siamese twins do exist (two heads, one body) but from what I have seen (I remember an article about such a twin in National Geographic years ago) look very different from this.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
According to the talkers pitch at the Sells-Floto sideshow in 1917, Pasqual Pinon was a Mexican refugee who followed General Pershing out of the country when Pancho Villa’s raiders forced his family off their farm. Pasqual’s upper head could, the talkers said, could see, talk and hear, until the age of twenty, when it unexpectedly atrophied.

However, anyone who studies teratology can see that Pasqual Pinon was a fake. A craniopagus parasite like this would be upside down against the host’s head, like in the two-headed boy of Bengal. A theory concerning Mr.Pinon is that he had a large tumour growing from his forehead, and the extra face was a make-up trick, much like Bill Durks’ third eye, but more likely he was outfitted with a well-made fake head.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There are a very famous pair of twin girls who are joined in a way that they appear to be a two-headed person. (Two heads, one body - however, they are separate people.) They have been in Life magazine, on numerous science documentaries, etc.

Here is a site with many photos: Abigail and Brittany Hensel

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CandE
Barbra Streisand Piper

Icon 01 posted      Profile for CandE   E-mail CandE       Edit/Delete post 
That is a interesting site..I didn't realize that there were so many deformities..

--------------------
*Who appears to be hooked on something other then Phonics?*

*Healthy people are gonna look really stupid lying in hospital's dieing of nothing*

Posts: 127 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Game60 Minutes
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 105 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I recall reading somewhere the story of a two-headed man in 17th or 18th century England. His other "head" was on the back of his normal head, and was said to be that of a woman's. Supposedly, the man became so depressed that no surgeon would attempt to remove it that he killed himself.

Anyone else out there heard this story?

ETA: Hey CandE, would you mind adding a NFBSK warning, please?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mastershake
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for mastershake   E-mail mastershake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The picture that the first post refers to looks a lot like the guy in "The Big Book of Freaks" that had a tumor on his head, and a carnival barker put a mask on it to create a "two-headed man". I don't have that book with me currently so I can't tell for sure if its the same guy.

--------------------
"Most people don't find me nearly as funny as I find me."

Posts: 55 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Game60 Minutes:
I recall reading somewhere the story of a two-headed man in 17th or 18th century England. His other "head" was on the back of his normal head, and was said to be that of a woman's. Supposedly, the man became so depressed that no surgeon would attempt to remove it that he killed himself.

Sounds like the "Edward Mordake" mentioned on the page I linked to above.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Game60 Minutes

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joostik:
quote:

Sounds like the "Edward Mordake" mentioned on the page I linked to above.
Note to self: Do not be afraid to click on the red text!
Danvers Carew

Ah-ha! Thanks everyone - very informative!

I remember the Edward Mordake tale too:

quote:
from: Gould, George M. & Walter L. Pyle, Anomolies and Curiosities of Medicine, New York: 1896, p.188.

The following well-known story of Edward Mordake, though taken from lay sources, is of sufficient notoriety and interest to be mentioned here:--

One of the weirdest as well as most melancholy stories of human deformity is that of Edward Mordake, said to have been heir to one of the noblest peerages in England. He never claimed the title, however, and committed suicide in his twenty-third year. He lived in complete seclusion refusing the visits even of the members of his own family. He was a young man of fine attainments, a profound scholar, and a musician of rare ability. His figure was remarkable for its grace, and his face--that is to say, his natural face--was that of an Antinous. But upon the back of his head was another face, that of a beautiful girl, 'lovely as a dream, hideous as a devil.' The female face was a mere mask, 'occupying only a small portion of the posterior part of the skull, yet exhibiting every sign of intelligence, of a malignant sort, however.' It would be seen to smile and sneer while Mordake was weeping. The eyes would follow the movements of the spectator, and the lips would 'gibber without ceasing.' No voice was audible, but Mordake avers that he was kept from his rest at night by the hateful whispers of his 'devil twin,' as he called it, 'which never sleeps, but talks to me forever of such things as they only speak of in hell. No imagination can conceive the dreadful temptations it sets before me. For some unforgiven wickedness of my forefathers I am knit to this fiend--for a fiend it surely is. I beg and beseech you to crush it out of human semblance, even if I die for it.' Such were the words of the hapless Mordake to Manvers and Treadwell, his physicians. In spite of careful watching he managed to procure poison, whereof he died, leaving a letter requesting that the 'demon face' might be destroyed before his burial, 'lest it continues its dreadful whisperings in my grave.' At his own request he was interred in a waste place, without stone or legend to mark his grave.

Doesn't sound true at all, though - it has a ring of ghost-story about it.

--------------------

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NotoriousFAT

The photo in question is a production still from the BBC series "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaky" based upon the books by Douglas Adams. The extra head is a fake and a bad fake at that. the stories told might be true but the picture in question is in fact from the TV Series. [dunce]
Danvers Carew

quote:
posted by NotoriousFAT:

The photo in question is a production still from the BBC series "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaky" based upon the books by Douglas Adams.

That isn't the photo in question. [dunce]

--------------------

Martha Washington

quote:
Doesn't sound true at all, though - it has a ring of ghost-story about it.

It sure doesn't.
rinoz

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post 
1. Isn't the fortean times, like UK's equivilant to the weekly world news?

2. I heard a story where a man and a woman where conjoined at the head. The woman wasc ut off somwhere at the chest, and they basically had to carry her around on a plate.

3. I must resist making French jokes.

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rinoz:
2. I heard a story where a man and a woman where conjoined at the head. The woman was cut off somwhere at the chest, and they basically had to carry her around on a plate.

This sounds similar to a real pair of conjoined twins, who are joined at the head. The one woman can walk but is very hunched over; she often carries her sister around or wheels her on a cart that looks like a raised table. Their names are Lori and Reba. They have also been on numerous television documentaries; Reba was originally named Dori (They were Lori and Dori), but wants to be a country singer and changed her name to be like Reba McEntire. Read about them, and see photos here:

Lori and Reba Schappell

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Being a twin myself, I've always mused over what would happen if, with a set of conjoined twins that only have one body, were (was?) raised as one person with two heads.

Of course, you couldn't test the theory out, but I think it's interesting to think about anyway.

As for photos appearing fake, that doesn't always mean they aren't real. I saw a picture of two people once that to me looked like cardboard cutouts. This was in the Guinness Book of World Records, so I'm assuming the photo was real, but at the time (I was about nine then) it looked fake.

Sister "not conjoined, thank god" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not sure, but I think conjoined twins have to be identical.

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yup, that's my understanding too - being that they come from the same embryo, but didn't separate properly?? - identical twins, are, of course, are the same gender.

EDIT TO ADD: apparently not...

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

quote:
posted by rinoz:
Isn't the fortean times, like UK's equivilant to the weekly world news?

The Fortean Times is a monthly magazine that has articles and essays on all things Fortean, i.e., UFOs, cryptozoology, ghosts, general weird stuff, which are typically well-written, and by academics/professional writer-types.

That's not to say that every story is certainly true, but they're generally prepared to keep an open mind and have well-reasoned articles - their approach is often similar to that of Snopes.com, and in fact, they have a regular monthly column where they debunk urban myths.

The Weekly World News however just completely makes things up and presents itself as a trashy tabloid. It's often very funny though.

--------------------

rinoz

quote:
Originally posted by A Very Special Danvers Carew:
The Fortean Times is a monthly magazine that has articles and essays on all things Fortean, i.e., UFOs, cryptozoology, ghosts, general weird stuff, which are typically well-written, and by academics/professional writer-types.

That's not to say that every story is certainly true, but they're generally prepared to keep an open mind and have well-reasoned articles - their approach is often similar to that of Snopes.com, and in fact, they have a regular monthly column where they debunk urban myths. [/QB]

I have a book of Amazing Stories from the Fortean Times, though. But I went to the site, and it seemed WWN-ish to me.
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
from: Gould, George M. & Walter L. Pyle, Anomolies and Curiosities of Medicine, New York: 1896, p.188.
Another Gould & Pyle reader! One of my favourite historical text books [Smile] Some of their explanations for why things happened are, by modern standards, quite daft (maternal impression etc) and utterly fascinating.

I think the Pinon tumour might be a meningocele. A similar very large tumour was recently removed from a Chinese gentleman's face (growing close to his eye socket). My "Most Fantastic Freaks" book only has a photo of it, doesn't mention it being a fake.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

Icon 16 posted      Profile for kelliehyphen   E-mail kelliehyphen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

I've read this as true somewhere before - not to say that I believe it. The man himself was kind, handsome and generally a very good fellow, but the face on the back of his head wasn't altogether too nice, supposedly. Apparently, the lips would gibber unintelligibly, the face would drool while Ed was eating, make faces at other's in the room, and at night, Ed confessed, it would whisper horrible words and personal comments to him. He requested that, when he died, that he would be buried in a wasteland, in an unmarked grave.

I'll try to dig up the book for more details.

- Scarlett "Creepy..." O'Hara

Posts: 527 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm a fan of The Fortean Times. It's a fool who believes everything they read in there, but they do strive for high academic standards, while trying to keep an open mind.

Certainly, if they cover a story, it's worth seeing what else they've had to say about it before or since. I've seen a couple of times where someone would have one article published one month, have someone else attack it the next month, reply to it the next month, and so on for months. Not entirely unlike these boards, in fact, except with both participants being experts in the feild for many years, writing very long posts, and heavily citing sources. Actually, not that unlike some of the debates here, then.

One thing they certainly encourage, just like snopes, is for readers to use thier own standards of assessment, and contribute if they feel they have something to add. The letters page itself is usually well worth a read; a mixed bag of people correcting factual errors (with cites), adding anecdotal tales or simply pointing out a humerous coincidence or turn of phrase. Again, not so very unlike these very boards.

It's well worth reading on a regular basis.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MrUrbanLegend

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The other head has got to be a prop because if it was real, it wouldn't have that look on it's face.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages