snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Man decapitated by train?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man decapitated by train?
Zzz
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
http://cazic-thule.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3607

Pretty graphic

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priss Asagiri

The pic reminds me of a story I heard from this older Korean Gentlemen.

He told me once that when the railroads were put into place in Korea, people whom didn't have money for a night's stay at an inn used the railroad tracks as improvised pillows. He told me that back then, Koreans used to sleep on blocks of polished wood. Railroad tracks made good strong pillows.

Of course, when the train came by, and didn't stop in time....

As for the pic, I dunno, anymore pics, or a series of them?? Can't tell what kind of journal boxes are on the train. Would help to determine where this pic was made (i'm assuming say, India or some other Asian Country.)

Garil

I'd say it's fake.Like the third poster in that thread pointed out,where's all the blood that's bound to spatter after such an accident?That and the bloody flesh seems too bright while the rest of the picture is darker
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
blerch!

but...where's the body?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DoYourDuty

And as someone in the other thread pointed out, why is the wheel of the train in the picture? Pretty convenient that the train stopped with the last wheel just after the body, leaving a perfect photo opportunity.
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
1. There's not nearly enough blood on the surrounding rocks.
2. There's some blood spattered on the hand, but none on the face. How did that happen?
3. No part of him remained on the outside of the rail.
4. One of the train wheels that presumeably ran him down is right there, but there doesn't seem to be any blood on it. Believeable, I guess, but suspicious.
5. There is a flap of skin/tissue laying over the rail. Why wasn't this severed as well? And where are the guy's bones? Shouldn't there be a humerus sticking out of that mess?
6. It's my understanding that the human hand rests slightly curled, not fully flat, like the pic shows.

I vote fake. The above are not proofs, but are questions I would need answered before I could vote real.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know if I'm missing something, but why does the train wheel have to be the one that cut him apart? If he was struck by the wheel at the front of the train, and then the train stopped (who knows how long the train is?) it's possible one of the wheels further down the train came to rest on him like this.

I'm not saying the picture's authentic, just trying to answer one of Wonko's questions.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You're right, Rose. Of course it's possible that the wheel pictured isn't the one that ran him down and cut him in two. But coupled with the other inconsistencies, the wheel being right there just makes the whole thing seems suspect. There's a bit of tissue draped over the rail inches beyond his head. Why wasn't that cut as cleanly as his torso was?

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 302 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I can't get the pic to come up!
Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cevik

Devil's Advocate: A fully loaded train weighs A LOT, it wouldn't need to be moving at any speed to do damage like that. The wheel could still be in the picture because this is a track worker who fell under the train as it was loading/unloading cars, thus the train barely moved and crushed the man, and the wheel is still in the picture.
water bottle

ugh... a link to CTC...

Assuming it is fake, I'd lean towards it being a physical effects job as opposed to a photo edit.

Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
For a moment I thought that this guy (WARNING: that site contains many post-mortem photos) had somehow been taken over by some site that wants to be offensive. I was all prepared to be mad, but instead was just disappointed.

Although the picture I linked to threw me for a second. I looked at it and thought it was odd. I then did a double take and said: "Holy NFBSK, that's just a head!"

Sister "actually not squeamish" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Queen Mushroom

Icon 205 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I see no reason to suspect fakery. I don't get why this board is so skeptical all the time.
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Queen Mushroom:
I see no reason to suspect fakery. I don't get why this board is so skeptical all the time.

Because that is kind of the point of the board.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 600 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

It's what we do.

24kKate

ETA: Oops took too long [Smile]

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Queen Mushroom

Uh huh, you guys are really clever and all, but sometimes it seems like you're being skeptical just for the hell of it. People see "evidence" of Photoshopping even in pictures that are genuine. Do you actually know anything about photography and Photoshopping techniques, or are you just saying it to sound smart? It's kind of silly. You're like the opposite of Ghoststudy.
schemmy
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for schemmy   Author's Homepage   E-mail schemmy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

I see plenty of reason to suspect fakery: most of it has to do with the graphic nature of the picture and how it's being spread (e-mail, forums), and not necessarily the picture itself.

Wonko expresses some questions that an examination of the picture raises. If you see no reason to suspect fakery, why not take a stab at answering them?

We're skeptical because it's the nfbsking point of the forum! People ask "is this real?" Because of that, we have to look at any potential reasons why it might not be genuine.

But anyways, welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Edit:

quote:
Do you actually know anything about photography and Photoshopping techniques, or are you just saying it to sound smart?
Another point is that even if the photo has not been touched up, it is possible it has been staged physically.

--------------------
a real one-man army, huh? | Bad Beat Baseball Blog

Posts: 1222 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morpheus's Nightmare

Icon 402 posted            Edit/Delete post 
You HAVE to be sceptical with these photo's

But I'm undecided on this one, the lack of blood and bone are strange, but who's to say where the head is now is where it was severed.

what is convincing is the dust on the hand, the hand would more than likly have been palm down on the gravel (wether suicide or not) and the colour on that seems right to me, the head is very convincing as well. If it's a fake it's a good one

WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Uh huh, you guys are really clever and all, but sometimes it seems like you're being skeptical just for the hell of it. People see "evidence" of Photoshopping even in pictures that are genuine. Do you actually know anything about photography and Photoshopping techniques, or are you just saying it to sound smart? It's kind of silly. You're like the opposite of Ghoststudy.

We don't usually debunk ULs to be 'clever', and to be skeptical for the 'hell' of it would be a waste of our time. The purpose of this particular forum is to offer suggestions to a picture someone posts, asking "is it real?" Based on what I see, I believe the picture is fake. Does that mean I'm skeptical of the photo just to look cool to the people here? Of course not. Does that mean I'm sure I'm right, and no matter what proof I'm given, I'll always deny it? Of course not. If you have a differing opinion about the photo in the OP, please, by all means, lets hear it.

For me, I just can't simply say, "Well, it's on the Internet, so it must be true". It's part of my nature to want to decide what is real for myself, and not blindly accept everything set in front of me as true.

I have my own set of opinions on matters. This board offers great discussion with intelligent people who have opinions of their own, and that's what makes the debates so interesting.

Welcome to the boards, by the way [Smile]

Wonko "It's also part of my nature to be long-winded" the Sane

--------------------

Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus's Nightmare:

But I'm undecided on this one, the lack of blood and bone are strange, but who's to say where the head is now is where it was severed.

There's too much blood, I think, to have it not be the original site. Not that I think the picture is real - it looks staged - but I think it's supposed to look like the place where the head was severed.

The flesh near the arm looks weird to me. It looks like a soft lump, and I can't think of a single body part that could be that...

Sister "at least it doesn't come with a weird backstory" Ray

--------------------

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal

Icon 01 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cevik:
Devil's Advocate: A fully loaded train weighs A LOT, it wouldn't need to be moving at any speed to do damage like that. The wheel could still be in the picture because this is a track worker who fell under the train as it was loading/unloading cars, thus the train barely moved and crushed the man, and the wheel is still in the picture.

I finally got the pic to come up...I can see your point, (sorta) but if it was moving THAT slowly...surely there would be a body and blood all over the place...There's enough blood pressure that if the wheel "barely moved and crushed the man" to THIS state blood should have been sprayed all over the place.
I gotta stop..I'm grossing myself out!

Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal

Icon 01 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus's Nightmare:
You HAVE to be sceptical with these photo's

Yes, but if that were the case..and the head was "moved" wouldn't it have had the crap pummeled out of it bumping along the tracks...
ICK! I'm doing it again!

Morpheus's Nightmare

Icon 204 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Thats a good point Stratogal

the head doesn't look battered, so it could well be the place where the "chop" happened, so you would expect there to be substantial blood stains on the ground rather than the few drops here and there, as the body has plenty of blood on it, why doesn't the ground?

but then not seeing anything like this for real how would i know!

abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Fake, because of lack of blood, & no bloodspray(splatter). [Razz]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tags973

quote:
It's kind of silly. You're like the opposite of Ghoststudy.
Different strokes...Some people would find the belief of the mysterious Skunk ape silly..
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
For a moment I thought that this guy (WARNING: that site contains many post-mortem photos) had somehow been taken over by some site that wants to be offensive. I was all prepared to be mad, but instead was just disappointed."

Sister Ray...that's Daniel!
quote:
Subject had been in Palm Bay/Melbourn area appoximatly six months and slept under highway bridges. Property recovered from knapsack included two bibles and a red windbreaker
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Nol "So sorry...I couldn't resist" ly
[fish]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Not that I'm really adding much to the conversation, but I have seen 3 cases of people run over by trains in my life. The main thing that stands out in my mind is that (in the 2 cases which were hit by the wheels) the amputations were always very clean cuts. The wheels of the train upon the tracks act like scissors, and the cuts, as I said, always seemed eerily clean.

Admittedly, the one that really gave me that impression was discovered to have been dead prior to the train hitting him.

I have no clue as to wether these cases were the norm or not. Just suffice to say that the pic in the OP was much messier than the cases I've seen.

Atlanta "guess that was as clear as mud" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nolly:
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
For a moment I thought that this guy (WARNING: that site contains many post-mortem photos) had somehow been taken over by some site that wants to be offensive. I was all prepared to be mad, but instead was just disappointed."

Sister Ray...that's Daniel!
quote:
Subject had been in Palm Bay/Melbourn area appoximatly six months and slept under highway bridges. Property recovered from knapsack included two bibles and a red windbreaker
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Nol "So sorry...I couldn't resist" ly
[fish]

Okay, while I understand why you made the joke, I would like to note that humor directed at unidentified individuals are in poor taste. They don't even have the dignity of names; why do anything else at their expense?

Sister "trout me if you will" Ray

--------------------

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 24K_Kate&Allie:
quote:

It's what we do.

24kKate

ETA: Oops took too long [Smile]

I kind of asked a similar question quite a while ago here, about why most people automatically feel that these types of pictures are deliberately faked. Not necessarily only pictures of death scenes, but other pictures also. Perhaps it is "easier" to handle it being fake than horribly real.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by chinpira:
I kind of asked a similar question quite a while ago here, about why most people automatically feel that these types of pictures are deliberately faked. Not necessarily only pictures of death scenes, but other pictures also. Perhaps it is "easier" to handle it being fake than horribly real.

But I don't see it that way. I don't "automatically" make any kind of judgement on whether a pic is real or not. I look at it and then decide for myself one way or the other. That most people feel the pic is fake doesn't mean that they all "automatically" reached that conclusion, does it?

Wonko

--------------------

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
This is the forum for posting "Is this picture real . . .?" queries. This forum is only for pictures of questionable authenticity -- it is not a place to post "Ha, ha, look at this funny picture" entries.
That is from the main photos page. I think that a lot of it is a matter of opinion. Atlanta Jake, so far, is the only person who seems to have seen actual instances of train meets man (apologies if I missed someone's entry to the contrary). The people on the boards come from very varied backgrounds which is what makes these boards work. There are literally people from all walks of life here. If it weren't for the boards, this whole site would be very difficult to maintain. The more you hang around, you'll see that some of these members really do a lot of virtual legwork to come to their conclusions. It's hard at first to see that but once you get to know the people around here you'll see they know from whence they speak.

Little "they're a good bunch of nuts" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priss Asagiri

quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
[QUOTE] Atlanta Jake, so far, is the only person who seems to have seen actual instances of train meets man (apologies if I missed someone's entry to the contrary

Nobody still haven't disproven my Old Korean Mans Story. I'm still wondering if he was telling the truth, or just being the crazy old geezer that he is.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages