snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Women in the WTC on 9-11? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Women in the WTC on 9-11?
MWF
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
OP I think I have seen that pdf, it references comments from people in the resturant saying the floor was distorting? If so I certainly second your recomendation for anyone to read it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
actually the pdf is one persons explanation as to why the towers fell, a scientific look at the events, and such. the reference to the port authority tapes is in the ny times.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MWF

Yeah I know what the pdf is, I'm just pretty sure it references reports from people in the resturant in it.
Deciduousblonde

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyg Me:
Click this link to see all the WTC jumper photos you ever (or never) want to see. Very Graphic. It think you can see some people looking out or jumping out of the gaping holes.

http://www.twin-towers.net/jumpers.htm

As a matter of fact, the 7th photo down, looks to be the "woman" in question. It is actually man. Looks like he either jumped from one of the holes, or the picture was snapped as he passed infront of the hole.

I have only ever seen one photo of a 'jumper' before (the guy falling head first, arms to his side) and now I have seen this page...it has to be one of the most upsetting things I have seen in a very long time. Sorry I cannot add to the woman/debris debate...I can hardly think straight now [Frown]
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
oh blech! i just checked out that jumper site. horrible. but did anyone click on the link to the hoax pic of the one on the sidewalk? totally gross. [Frown]

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinx McHue

I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see this question asked (sorry if it was and I missed it): considering all the TV cameras trained on the towers, is it likely that this image has been caught on video? TV cameras were focusing on individuals hanging out of the upper floor windows, after all. It seems unlikely that only one person was paying attention to the damaged section and only one person noticed someone in the wreckage and only one person snapped a picture of it without alerting anyone else. (I could be wrong, of course, and all that did happen.)
Shotie

Looks more like a bald guy than a woman to me
Asynja

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post 

What about my crude measurement extrapolations? 4'5"????

Tags973

So what are the measurements of the "dead woman" lying to the left? lol
Trick or Torcha

waffles, hold the brains
eaglesight

When I looked at the smaller version, I did indeed think it was a person. But when someone made a lightened, blown-up version what I saw was a light-colored reflective piece of wreckage, an empty place above it, and a lick of flame above that. The bottom edges are too jaggedy for it to be the chin and neck of a person. The reason the "other woman" in the picture appears to have the same hair color is that it, too, is a lick of flame.

That is my take on it anyway. That is the only thing I see, and it seems quite clear to me.

tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Asynja:

If it is indeed a woman, her left knee appears to be bent, and she appears to be leaning on the pillar next to her, which would take a few inches off of her height.
Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Asynja:
--Image snipped--

I think you're missing an important factor in the measurement - the angle that the photo was taken. That is, it's not a straight ahead shot, but more off to the side of the building. Because of this, an accurate measurement of the column width isn't possible, since we're not seeing just the face of the column, but also a portion of the side.
Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought the first picture was coming up badly because of bandwidth issues, but now that I've looked at the columns up close, I realize that's what I was looking in the first as well. Count me squarely in the at-least-one woman camp, with the reflected image an outside possibility.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aaronmarie

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by eaglesight:
When I looked at the smaller version, I did indeed think it was a person. But when someone made a lightened, blown-up version what I saw was a light-colored reflective piece of wreckage, an empty place above it, and a lick of flame above that. The bottom edges are too jaggedy for it to be the chin and neck of a person. The reason the "other woman" in the picture appears to have the same hair color is that it, too, is a lick of flame.

That is my take on it anyway. That is the only thing I see, and it seems quite clear to me.

I completely agree with this. There is a lick of flame in one of the larger pictures to the upper right which is exactly the same color as the red/brown in the two questionable spots. I believe them to be wreckage licked by slow-burning flames.
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by oh pleeze:
oh blech! i just checked out that jumper site. horrible. but did anyone click on the link to the hoax pic of the one on the sidewalk? totally gross. [Frown]

Slightly OT (not directly aimed at Oh Pleeze)- I know it looks disgusting if you just look at these pictures as a "mess" but it's pretty important to remember that there is a real human being in those pictures (or at least the "real" ones) and such a thing could conceivably happen to anyone- me, you, your mum, your brother etc. In such a case could you really call it "gross".
That's one of the things I loved about the film In The Cut (look away now if you don't like part-spoilers) when Franny finds her sister after she's met a grisley eand instead of screaming etc like a brainless teen in a slasher film she cradles the head and cries like anyone would do if their relative dies. That really brought it home to me how people often like looking at photos of dead people and enjoy standing around on street corners if it looks like someone is going to throw themselves off a high building chanting "jump" etc and somehow see this as different to when of their loved ones die. Perhaps I'm just trying to say that I think people should see a corpse as a tragic end to a real live person with thoughts and feelings instead of a mess to point and laugh at. [Frown]

I was going to post a while ago but this thread has been dead for a while.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aaronmarie

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
After blowing the image up, it sure does look very much like a women. I would guess that before guessing wreckage.

quote:
Originally posted by Lady The Ovum Moon Shadows:
either way then, this tells me that this woman should have been rescued somehow...

I'm not sure what you mean by that. How should she have been rescued? Ladder trucks don't go anywhere near that high and helicopters weren't operating. Her only chance for rescue would have been to walk down on her own.
Could Helicopters Have Saved People From the Top of the Trade Center?

Apparently not. However, there WERE helicopters operating after the attacks:

-

StratoGal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 06 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just keep looking at these pics of the "woman" and the jumpers and wonder about family that could identify them. (Some of the jumper photos are clear enough IMO) It's a horrifying thought.
[Frown]

Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MWF:
 -

okay...i'm going to go with this pic since it seems to be the most clear photo of the "woman" in question...as someone who has been drawing people for 17 years now, i can tell you that the proportion of the "head" to the rest of the "body" is all wrong (unless you want to want to stretch the theory of a woman making it through all that intense heat to the edge of the building to include that she also has some form of dwarfism)

if you refer to the usual artistic measurement of the head being (approximately) 1/7 the height of the body, that measurement pertains to the head from crown to chin...the "head" in this picture appears to be closer to 1/4 or 1/5, not the 1/7 it should be if it was really a woman...what i was taught to use in my figure drawing classes in college was the measurement of the head minus the jawline (the main sphere of the skull, in other words)...and that should measure about 1/12 of total body height...now, the crown alone of this so-called woman's head is only about 1/7 of her total body height...not the 1/12 it should be if it were really a woman

no matter which way you measure this woman's "head" in proportion to her "body", they're all wrong

this is just a piece of unidentifiable wreckage, seen at an odd angle, giving it the appearance of a human-like shape

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Toes:
In the close-up, it looks to me like she's outside, falling from one of the floors above, rather than standing inside.

If she was falling, her hair would be straight. IMHO, this's real.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I really think it does look like there is a woman there, but I seem to be looking at it slightly differently from everybody else.

What everyone is assuming to be her legs I think is debris, but I think she is standing behind this leaning out, if you look closely you can see her arm, holding on to the side of the building. looked at in this way the proportions are exactly right for a person....

when I get home I'll see if I can draw on one of the pictures posted here to better explain what I mean, all depends if I can manage to host it.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't understand how anyone would say the picture is fake. Forget about the poportions and look, just look. IMHO she is a blonde, is wearing a dark green/black shirt, she's using her right arm to suppost her, you can even see her hand there, not to mention her shoes.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WittySquirrel:
I don't understand how anyone would say the picture is fake. Forget about the poportions and look, just look. IMHO she is a blonde, is wearing a dark green/black shirt, she's using her right arm to suppost her, you can even see her hand there, not to mention her shoes.

okay...when i "look, just look" i see some pieces of scrap metal and something above it that vaguely resembles a human face with either one hell of a bad hairdo (pony-tail high on top of the head falling over) or a ridiculously high forehead...i see nothing about the "body" that matches the proportions of the "head"...when i "look, just look" i see a photo taken at just the right moment, at just the right angle to create the illusion of a face...i think the people who are seeing a woman are seeing it because they are being told to...it does not look like an actual person to me

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sir Weasel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Sir Weasel         Edit/Delete post 
I can't say for certain if this picture is of a woman or not at the WTC on 9/11, but I do remember that in one of those TV specials about that awful day that a video does exist of a woman who did appear in the gaping hole in one of the towers. She looks out over the city of a few moments, then disappears into the building. I remember the narrator commenting that no one knows who she was or what happened to her.

I know I did see this video, but don't remember where or when it was shown.

Posts: 48 | From: Lost in the ozone . . AGAIN!!!!! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alexina

quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
What everyone is assuming to be her legs I think is debris, but I think she is standing behind this leaning out, if you look closely you can see her arm, holding on to the side of the building. looked at in this way the proportions are exactly right for a person....

Yes, I see what you mean. That certainly does seem plausible. [Frown]
Alexina

quote:
Originally posted by Pyg Me:
Click this link to see all the WTC jumper photos you ever (or never) want to see. Very Graphic. It think you can see some people looking out or jumping out of the gaping holes.

http://www.twin-towers.net/jumpers.htm

As a matter of fact, the 7th photo down, looks to be the "woman" in question. It is actually man. Looks like he either jumped from one of the holes, or the picture was snapped as he passed infront of the hole.

[Frown] [Frown] Oh, how horrible...

I have to wonder, though; if I knew I were facing death either way, would it be better to jump and have it over with quickly, or to burn/suffocate? Ugh... Those poor people.

Dawnrenee

One thing that jars me slightly even now is that all these people are still referred to as "jumpers".

While I'm sure a few made the active decision to jump rather than perish inside the building, I recall hearing several reports just after 9-11 that many people were either sucked out of the buildings when the windows were broken, and they suspected that many actually fell out, as they couldn't see where they were going in the smoke and confusion.

I suppose it doesn't make much difference as they lost their lives either way, however I keep hearing notes of disdain for the people who "jumped" as if staying in the building was more honourable in some way. Not a choice I would want to make.

Anyway, just my 2 cents
D

Snatchbison

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Just found this picture on Skyscaperpage Forum
It definitely looks human.

-

Tikidrone
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tikidrone   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tikidrone       Edit/Delete post 
This is the third photo of the same area where the "figure" is in a different position...I'm am now almost totally convinced that this is a human.

--------------------
I have seen the future and it licks itself clean. Bucky Katt

Posts: 478 | From: Between B'more and Naptown Md. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
W. Fikere Tomba

That latest picture settles it for me. It's a person. What looked sort of like a big hairdo or an oversized forehead in earlier images now appears more clearly as a raised arm. The proportions look very natural and the "object" definitely appears to have moved from one image to the next.

I don't think it's unlikely for someone to have been alive there. The floors struck by the plane were not wholly incinerated the moment the plane hit them; if they had been, the building would have collapsed immediately. Large parts of those floors would have been relatively unharmed for several minutes until the fire spread to them.

I say it's a person.

Tikidrone
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tikidrone   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tikidrone       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think it's unlikely for someone to have been alive there. True...I have heard/read of survivors saying that they had to walk up stairs to the "impact" area to get to an unobstructed stairwell that lead down to saftey.
I feel this person got to the area after the fire burnt out or up and was standing at the hole possibly waiting for rescue or to get some air.

--------------------
I have seen the future and it licks itself clean. Bucky Katt

Posts: 478 | From: Between B'more and Naptown Md. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alexina

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The photo Snatchbison posted seems to me to be a closer view of the wide view SparkerStalker posted here. So I think that brings us to two photos of the same angle. SparkerStalker had wondered if it was the power of suggestion making us see a person in that second photo... now that I see this close-up version if it, I am also pretty convinced that these are photographs of a person.

[Frown]

Alexina

Ian - Crawling on a Mirror

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
I'd say it definitely one person, not sure about the spot to the left, the new pic seems to disprove it's a person.

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yup, it's pretty much the same angle, and appears to be close to the same time. I'd bet the same photographer took both shots, or even all three.

I think this finally settles it once and for all, though...it is a person, but the spot to the left is wreckage.

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

I felt pretty certain that it was a person, when this thread started, but I can say that I am 100% certain, it is, now that I've seen this last photo.

An interesting link that was posted on the site that Snatchbison linked to includes some pictures, and information, about a woman that some people believe this might be.

http://www.skfriends.com/wtc-woman-hanging-photo-06.htm

~Diz

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages