snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Swimming pool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swimming pool
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 88 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: are these photos for real? If there really is a pool like this,
where is it?

http://users.pandora.be/Besthumorsite/PhotogalleryXV/pages/swimming_pool1.htm

http://users.pandora.be/Besthumorsite/PhotogalleryXV/pages/swimming_pool2.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jeffrey814
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jeffrey814   E-mail Jeffrey814   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Phoenix Seagaia Resort

ocean dome

--------------------
A little nonsense now and then...

Posts: 478 | From: Wonder Lake, IL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Oh yeah. We just go one where the driveway used to be. Pain to clean though, and now we don't have a place to park the second car. [lol]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
where is it?

http://users.pandora.be/Besthumorsite/PhotogalleryXV/pages/swimming_pool1.htm

http://users.pandora.be/Besthumorsite/PhotogalleryXV/pages/swimming_pool2.htm

These two pictures look to be computer generated. They were probably use to sell and promote the wave pool before it was even build. This is a very common thing to do when trying to finance large projects and some times even small ones.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think I saw this or one just like it, on the History Channel, on "Modern Marvels". The one they showed was like the photo, an indoor beach. In Japan I think.

ETA:

http://www.gluckman.com/IndoorBeach.html

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LayDowntheBoogie:
I think I saw this or one just like it, on the History Channel, on "Modern Marvels". The one they showed was like the photo, an indoor beach. In Japan I think.

ETA:

http://www.gluckman.com/IndoorBeach.html

The Japanese also built an indoor ski resort.
http://www.goski.com/rjpn/1skidome.htm

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mat

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post 
If you look at the far end of photo1 the shadow thrown by the roof (on the white wall on the right hand side) shows that the sun is behind the photographer therefore the roof above the photographer should be casting a shadow over the foreground.

Also, why are there no cars in the carpark and I wonder whats wrong with the real beach....

moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 88 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mat:
I wonder whats wrong with the real beach....

Yeah, why would you build one of those a block from the water? I'd think a more ideal place would be in North Dakota or some other such place far away from a tropical beach...

moon "or is it just me?" light

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

It's kind of hard to charge people for the use of the real beach (depending on local laws and customs, of course). The artificial beach also allows for a year round beach experience, regardless of the weather.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ian - Crawling on a Mirror
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
Also, I believe that the 'sand' is actually crushed marble pebbles that won't stick to you.

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priestley's Mouse
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Priestley's Mouse   E-mail Priestley's Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How about a reduced chance of sunburn? That's the number one reason I would go here rather than the beach. If that's a glass dome over the top, people aren't going to get fried to a crisp.

Also, I'm sure the place would be climate controlled. No suffocating humidity, no intolerable heat. And it would be perfect for rainy days.

MG

--------------------
More about me...

Posts: 1156 | From: Rural Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian The Gravy:
Also, I believe that the 'sand' is actually a specifically engineered styrofoam or some other sort of material that won't stick to you.

According to the article posted by Laydowntheboogie, it's crushed marble pebbles.

Beach...styrofoam float...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CandE
Barbra Streisand Piper

Icon 01 posted      Profile for CandE   E-mail CandE       Edit/Delete post 
I saw this on tv. I wish we had something like that here! They said the sand (not sand) does not stick to you!! I have lived close to the beach all my life, but hate going because of the SAND! Next 4 days I am stuck getting sand out of parts I didn't even know it could go. lol

--------------------
*Who appears to be hooked on something other then Phonics?*

*Healthy people are gonna look really stupid lying in hospital's dieing of nothing*

Posts: 127 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Barbara Streisand is suing to have these pictures of her swimming pool removed from the site.

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
where is it?

I think that would be the natatorium at Hogwarts Academy.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zem

quote:
Originally posted by severely allergic moonlight:
quote:

Yeah, why would you build one of those a block from the water? I'd think a more ideal place would be in North Dakota or some other such place far away from a tropical beach...

moon "or is it just me?" light

Because they're Japanese.

That may sound like an awful thing to say, but consider Hello Kitty, Dog Bark Translators, and vending machines with panties. I'm making no judgements, only saying that their culture is very different from mine even aside from the obvious shoe thing.

Scotty-Do

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post 
What's with Japanese and their obsession with making everything so freaking huge. I mean people think America is bad with overdoing certain things, but the Japanese are the Kings of Excessiveness...it must be Penis Envy or something.
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 217 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I took a course on Asian history last year, and my teacher had been to Japan several times. He showed us slides of this pool, telling us how popular it is, even with the real beach being so close.

Also, another thing the Japanese love is golf. Because of lack of space, they have driving ranges that, instead of being spread out, are stacked up like parking garages. He said a way someone could make good money was to organize golfing trips for Japanese over here in the states. Might be a good investment.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Spastic Colon

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty-Do:
What's with Japanese and their obsession with making everything so freaking huge. I mean people think America is bad with overdoing certain things, but the Japanese are the Kings of Excessiveness...it must be Penis Envy or something.

I think the same thing every time I get into my humongous Toyota Corolla.
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Spastic Colon:
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty-Do:

I think the same thing every time I get into my humongous Toyota Corolla.
or when Mrs Davros and i visted her sister in japan her apartment was so big it would have fitted in my kitchen at home with room to spare
one of us had to step outside for room to get dressed

dav(but we would go back again any time)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Madcat

I've been there! Oh, and trust me, you don't want to swim in the ocean in JP, for one, it is REALLY COLD, and 2: it is HEAVILY POLLUTED. They dump something like 90% of their garbage in seafills.
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 505 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmmm...I'm just wondering snopes; When you get a comment like this and post it on the message board, do you send the commenter to the thread?

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Uraunde

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, indoors ski resort is real. I remember when ski world championship was in Japan Swiss television went there with Swiss ski pros to test it.

Also, there's an artificial beach in a wearhouse near Berlin, Germany. But it's not that huge. (I know this because friends of mine wanted to go there but found it too expensive.) It's more like a sort of party spot for beach parties. (But with water so you can actually swim)

sid007

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey814:
Phoenix Seagaia Resort

ocean dome

Your links aren't working. Googling . . .
sid007

It seems it is real

http://www.seagaia.co.jp/english/odr/od.html

quote:
In fact, Ocean Dome is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's largest indoor water park, measuring 300 meters in length, 100 meters in width.
Guiness:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/gwr5/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=49992

lawjr3

Everyone says it's kind of new, but I remember reading about this thing in my 3-2-1 Contact magazine along with the indoor ski-resort when I was like 11... that means it's been around since... (carry the 5...) at least 15 years? But yes, it's real. Also, i think the ocean's really cold in Japan, but I could be very wrong.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages