snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Pic of firehose through car window real? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pic of firehose through car window real?
MIB
We Three Blings

Icon 22 posted      Profile for MIB   Author's Homepage   E-mail MIB       Edit/Delete post 
 -

If the picture doesn't show up click here.

Any takers?

MIB

--------------------
What it all comes down to is, dyslexics have more nuf.

Posts: 1090 | From: Area 51 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post 
I'd say real. I know firefighters do this. Actually takes less time to smash through the windows than to reroute the firehose and make sure it doesn't get caught on anything too sharp. Also teaches the owner of the vehicle not to park by firehydrants.
Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'll be darned if I can find the thread, but I'm pretty sure we've discussed this picture before. I'm pretty sure the general thought was that the picture was real.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gunslinger
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Gunslinger   E-mail Gunslinger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This was asked over on the Straight Dope boards once. IIRC, one of the resident firefighters said that they not only run the hose through the windows of a car blocking a hydrant, they use the biggest, leakiest hose they have on the truck.

Moral: Don't park in front of fire hydrants.

Posts: 34 | From: Longview, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
variable
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
This particular stunt is shown in the movie Backdraft, with a firefighter smashing the windows of an offending Mercedes to run the hose through.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cabus   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cabus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I vote for real too, but why is there broken glass outside the car, assuming it was broken FROM the outside?

--------------------
You can't spell failure without U R A.

Posts: 595 | From: Belo Horizonte, Brazil | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cabus:
I vote for real too, but why is there broken glass outside the car, assuming it was broken FROM the outside?

They would have passed it throught the back seat, from the sidewalk-side window to the street-side window, would be my guess.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Regardless of how the hose was passed, smashing a car window from the outside can result in a fair amount of glass on the outside. It doesn't all go in.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cabus   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cabus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Also, why go through the trouble of passing the hose through the car? Sure the owner deserves to have his windows smashed, but in this case it is obvious the hose is taking the longer route. Wouldn't it be easier to just roll it under the car?

--------------------

Posts: 595 | From: Belo Horizonte, Brazil | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just roll it under the car?

No.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scotty-Do

Sure it would easier to go under the car, but then it wouldn't be funny.
Southern Air Pirate

Icon 213 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Also, why go through the trouble of passing the hose through the car? Sure the owner deserves to have his windows smashed, but in this case it is obvious the hose is taking the longer route. Wouldn't it be easier to just roll it under the car?

That looks like a 2in radius line. So when it expands it actually becomes a 4in diameter line (D=2R) when a fluid passes through it. That can handle about 1500 gallons per minute. So that being said, who knows what is under that car that could potentially bunch the hose, cause a kink, or tear the hose. With that much pressure any one of those could cause the hose to explode and cause serious harm to anyone around the hose. On top of that it is easier to go through the car, the idea is to keep the hose as straight as possible. That way the fire team has as much hose to play with when fighting a fire and gives them the most manuverablity to aim the hose around at hot spots.

I also believe that most cities and counties have a law where the private citzen can't sue for damages when a fire team has to do something like this. The citzen could be considered risking good order and the safety of others while parking infront of a fire hydrant.

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
in this case it is obvious the hose is taking the longer route.

How to you figure that it's taking a longer route? It's going directly from the spigot (is that what they're called on a hydrant?) through the car. It would be about the same distance going under the car.

It's a lot faster to smash the windows and run the hose because you can do it while standing up and seeing what you're doing with someone reaching through on the other side. Messing around trying to feed it under the car wastes valuable seconds that really can't be spared.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabus
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
How to you figure that it's taking a longer route?

The hose is arching up, going through the windows, then arching down again. But I guess this is probably in case they have to pull it a bit further from the hydrant, so that answers my questions.

--------------------

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yes, we did this pic a while ago. As I said before, there are some fire departments that wouldn't think twice before running a supply line through a cars passenger compartment, but mine is not one of them... [Frown]

Southern air pirate had it right... the key here is avoiding kinks. The hose in the picture appears to be a 4 or 5 inch diameter LDH (large diameter hose). this type of hose is used to supply the pumper from the hydrant. Each kink in the hose results in a reduction in pressure (and gallonage) to the pump, so we try to keep the hose as straight as possible. Also note: most hydrants only have one "steamer connection" (that's what my department calls the 4" connectin on the hydrant). Therefore, in order to avoid kinks in the supply line, the hose can only come in from certain directions. Note the smaller connection on the side facing the camera.

Putting this LDH under the car can damage it as stated, and if the water supply to the pump is interrupted, then the water supply to the attack lines is interrupted. If there is a crew making an agressive interior attack when the water source is lost, the consequences could potentially be fatal.

The wet-barrell hydrant and the license plate on the car make me think that this picture was taken in California, but I couldn't swear to it.

I believe the picture is real.

Atlanta Jake

ETA: While I think the pic is real, I feel that it was probably not strictly necessary to do this. The time savings to me would seem to be minimal, and unless the hose was just long enough to reach the hydrant, I would suspect that the hose could have been run around the car in a satisfactory manner to avoid kinking. As I stated, my Department would never allow this, and we do pretty well without resorting to these tactics.

I suspect that this was done: 1) Because it is the department's policy. 2) because it is tolerated by the department, so why not? and or 3) to teach the driver a lesson about parking in front of fire hydrants

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

And how about: 4. To prevent the driver from returning and driving the car over the hose (multiple times to get out of the tight parking space), possibly damaging the hose and interrupting the water pressure.
route66gal

quote:

You've never had your car broken into, have you? Lucky devil! Yes, car window glass shatters and gets pretty much everywhere - inside and out.
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Route66gal beat me to the comments about the shedloads of glass left outside a car even when windows have been smashed from outside.

After enduring about five or six break-ins in our car, over the last 18 mos or so, (and being heartily sick of it) I can vouch for the sheer amount of glass left. Just before we moved from our previous house, in May, on our street, there was a large number of cars broken into in the space of only one night, and the path was so covered in glass, you'd have been hard pressed to put a pin between the glass fragments.

One of my (and my wheelchair's) pet hates, glass-strewn paths. (six punctures in seven outings is my current "record")

ETA that I forgot to say.. If someone is stupid and ignorant enough to park by a fire hydrant, (cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't, like, everyone know it's illegal?) and potentially block fire crews' access to it, then, "Feh!"... if their car gets damaged, their car gets damaged! Tough! I just hope that someone is stupid enough to block a fire hydrant when they might need fire crews to attend.

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bork-Bork Bork, the Wood Dragon:
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't, like, everyone know it's illegal?

"But I only parked there for a minute! I was coming right back!"

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't, like, everyone know it's illegal?

"But I only parked there for a minute! I was coming right back!"

[Roll Eyes]

Oh! I see! it was you who parked in my disabled parking space, was it? (chuckles)

Talk

--------------------

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 214 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Oh! I see! it was *you* who parked in my disabled parking space, was it? (chuckles)

How was it disabled? Bad paint? Potholes?

ham "what does one do when THAT happens?" bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Oh! I see! it was you who parked in my disabled parking space, was it? (chuckles)

:snicker:

Nope, I'm the one hearing the excuses, not making them. My mom is and my grandpa was disabled. I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt since not all disabilities are visually obvious and people do forget their placards. But if you park your hot little sports car in the disabled space, hop out of your car in workout gear, and flounce into the nearby aerobics centre... [flame]

My favorite was when a guy in a souped up truck parallel parked across two disabled spaces, right in front of City Hall and next to the police station. I'm hoping he got two tickets for that.

--------------------

Cervus

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Slightly off topic, but at my local mall there are parking spaces right in front labeled for "Moms and Moms-to-Be" with a picture of a stork on the sign. I can understand why it would be an advantage for a pregnant woman or one toting a stroller not to have to walk very far, but I always wondered how pregnant do you have to be to park there? I mean, what if I'm five months preggers but it's barely noticable? What if I were just really fat or had a pot-belly? Could I take advantage of a nice parking space? There's no law or fine posted around the sign, so methinks it's just for convenience. In that case, they should set aside special parking for people who really have to pee! [lol] (Which, come to think of it, would probably include many pregnant women.)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 600 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm guilty of parking in the 'employee-of-the-month' spots some stores have, all the time. I figure it's a waste of a good spot since even the best employee probably isn't there but 40 hours a week. What are they going to do, tow me?

Beach...I think customer who spends a lot trumps employee of the month...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus nippon:
Slightly off topic, but at my local mall there are parking spaces right in front labeled for "Moms and Moms-to-Be" with a picture of a stork on the sign. I can understand why it would be an advantage for a pregnant woman or one toting a stroller not to have to walk very far, but I always wondered how pregnant do you have to be to park there? I mean, what if I'm five months preggers but it's barely noticable? What if I were just really fat or had a pot-belly? Could I take advantage of a nice parking space? There's no law or fine posted around the sign, so methinks it's just for convenience. In that case, they should set aside special parking for people who really have to pee! [lol] (Which, come to think of it, would probably include many pregnant women.)

Another story about that is that my dad can park in handicapped spots due to an accident he had. So he's somewhere and the handicap spots are full so he sees the expectant mother spot and decides to park there. The attendant in the parking lot saw him do this so my dad says, "Don't you think being handicapped trumps that sign." The guy agreed and let Dad park there. I thought it was pretty funny.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I get pissed when I see someone in a handicapped spot who doesn't have plates or placard. My mother is disabled so I am kind of hyper-aware of this. But, conversely, it strikes me as odd (and irritating) that at a local Wal Mart they have the strangest handicapped parking setup I have ever seen. The first two or three pairs of spaces in each row were handicapped, like at other places. But then went into one of the more convenient rows and made the first 25 or so pairs of spaces handicapped. They still have the first few spaces of other rows set aside also but I have NEVER been there and seen all the handicapped spaces full (or even close to full). It is baffling to say the least, especially when you consider the local warehouse store (which does a similar volume of business) only has about ten handicapped spaces, all right in front of the building (and often one or two are taken up by the store's outdoor displays) and they are ALWAYS taken up (quite the pain if I take my mom shopping).

Little "mental handicaps don't qualify" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Harshmallow World

quote:
Originally posted by Secreeet Ingreedieent: LittleDuck:
I get pissed when I see someone in a handicapped spot who doesn't have plates or placard. My mother is disabled so I am kind of hyper-aware of this. But, conversely, it strikes me as odd (and irritating) that at a local Wal Mart they have the strangest handicapped parking setup I have ever seen. The first two or three pairs of spaces in each row were handicapped, like at other places. But then went into one of the more convenient rows and made the first 25 or so pairs of spaces handicapped. They still have the first few spaces of other rows set aside also but I have NEVER been there and seen all the handicapped spaces full (or even close to full). It is baffling to say the least, especially when you consider the local warehouse store (which does a similar volume of business) only has about ten handicapped spaces, all right in front of the building (and often one or two are taken up by the store's outdoor displays) and they are ALWAYS taken up (quite the pain if I take my mom shopping).

Little "mental handicaps don't qualify" Duck

As a Blue-badge holder of 10 yrs, (the badge for disability parking permit in the UK is known as an Orange badge, or a Blue badge, since we've come into ine with EU regulations) I get hacked of with the "But I'll only be a minute!" brigade, Big-style.

I am amazed, and very pleasantly surprised that your local Wal-mart has so many designated spaces for handicapped parking. It's a huge amount, compared to the meagre, bare minimum we get in the UK (Is that amount mandatory, under the ADA? or is it a percentage of all spaces available in a car park? -sorry, I don't know a lot about how the ADA is set up)

Wal-mart own a super/hypermarket chain in the UK called Asda. My local Asda only have about 10 designated spaces for disabled parking, and, normally, they are often occupied by what I call "A- bods" (Able-bodied) It steams me up no end.

I have designed, using my computer's DTP facility, a leaflet/ flyer type thing to put on the windscreen of the culprits' cars.

It's about the size of a 3-fold flyer, and it has a photo of the sign for disabled parking, and bears the legend "Ok, Genius. You've taken my parking space. Would you like my disability, too?
Ignorance does not count as a disability, unfortunately."

I am always suggesting that Asda crack down on this abuse, by clamping the offenders, and charging them a hefty release fee, if they cannot show that they have a disability. In the UK, you can get an exemption for your road tax disk (a disk you renew each year, it costs about 150UK£ and must be displayed in your windscreen, your car is not legal without it) so, instead of saying "Fee Paid £XXX" it says "disabled" If you have a blue badge, you theoretically have one of those tax discs for the car, so you could still have proof, even if you've forgotten to bring the badge.

I was at the library the other day, and some A- bod bloke was just parking in the handicapped bay. The other one was inaccessible from the road, as some idiot had parked across the end of the second bay.
Being a bit P'o'd at his parking there, I "pulled him up on it" and said "Oh, You havent put your badge up in your windscreen! You'll need it to park there, as it's the disabled parking bay."
"But I shall only be a couple of minutes."

So I got into the library, in front of him, and told the assistant, pointing to this bloke. "What are you doing about the abuse of disabled parking bays? This bloke is not disabled and is parking in the disabled bay, but he says that it's okay, 'cause he'll only be a couple of minutes."

I thought that if I'd make enough fuss, they'd do something about it. I was mistaken.

If i could have let all his tyres down, I would have done so. I was that annoyed.

Talk

--------------------

valee
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 18 posted      Profile for valee         Edit/Delete post 
If a car pulls into a handicapped parking spot while I'm walking past and they don't have special plates, I'll just stop and stare at the driver until they hang up their little temporary tag from their mirror. A withering look from a middle-aged broad seems to work well - I've seen many cars back out and find a legal spot rather than risk a public shaming.

Sometimes someone with mobility problems may be traveling in a car without the special plates. Years ago I had to pull up at the handicapped section of the curb at the airport and assist my passenger into the terminal, but didn't have any placard. There was no time to cribble out a note, but thankfully, I was able to rummage through the usual debris my car and found a copy of Paraplegia News magazine, which I stuck under the windshield wiper. The glurge finale is that by the time I got back, all the other cars had tickets, but the ticket writer had passed my car by. I wanted to call the Weekly World News: "Meter Maid shows common sense and compassion", but knew even they wouldn't believe it.

Posts: 88 | From: Metro DC | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One thing that annoys me as much as people taking up disabled parking places is people who abuse orange/blue badges. My father is one of these. His wife has an orange badge, yet he often "borrows" it so that he can park for free when he goes into town - without his wife. [Mad] He tried to pull that trick once when I was with him and I gave him a right mouthful. As far as I know, though, he still does it.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rose Red:
One thing that annoys me as much as people taking up disabled parking places is people who abuse orange/blue badges. My father is one of these. His wife has an orange badge, yet he often "borrows" it so that he can park for free when he goes into town - without his wife. [Mad] He tried to pull that trick once when I was with him and I gave him a right mouthful. As far as I know, though, he still does it.

I couldn't agree more. I've never used my dad's placard. That is just wrong.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was actually discussing able bodied people that park in disabled spaces with my boyfriend yesterday. He was telling me that apparently if you park in a disabled space in a private car park (including shops etc)there's nothing anyone can do about it. The shop isn't allowed to fine you, and as its not council property you can't get a parking ticket.

We both agreed that this was stupid and that the shops should be given that authority, but it seemed a bit strange to me, and I'm not convinced he's correct.

Anyone else heard of this ?

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Getting almost back to the OP...

There was a case here in Raleigh about a year ago where there was a fire in an apartment complex. The firemens' hoses unfortunately happened to block the exit to the parking lot. One man, who apparently had some place very important to go, decided to take out his big ol' Craftsman ajustable wrench and turn off the hydrant, so he could move his car. [flame]

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
After All
The First USA Noel

Icon 19 posted      Profile for After All   E-mail After All   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by valee:
If a car pulls into a handicapped parking spot while I'm walking past and they don't have special plates, I'll just stop and stare at the driver until they hang up their little temporary tag from their mirror. A withering look from a middle-aged broad seems to work well - I've seen many cars back out and find a legal spot rather than risk a public shaming.

I had a woman try this trick on me. Unfortunately for her, my very obviously disabled dad hobbled out of the passenger side of my car just as she was giving me her most "withering" stare. She moved along very quickly once he was out of the car.

--------------------
The trash heap has spoken! NYAAAHHH

Posts: 689 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
Getting almost back to the OP...

There was a case here in Raleigh about a year ago where there was a fire in an apartment complex. The firemens' hoses unfortunately happened to block the exit to the parking lot. One man, who apparently had some place very important to go, decided to take out his big ol' Craftsman ajustable wrench and turn off the hydrant, so he could move his car. [flame]

That is appalling, I hope he got a huge fine for that one at the very least. [flame]

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
I was actually discussing able bodied people that park in disabled spaces with my boyfriend yesterday. He was telling me that apparently if you park in a disabled space in a private car park (including shops etc)there's nothing anyone can do about it. The shop isn't allowed to fine you, and as its not council property you can't get a parking ticket.

We both agreed that this was stupid and that the shops should be given that authority, but it seemed a bit strange to me, and I'm not convinced he's correct.

Anyone else heard of this ?

I have heard a police officer tell a man there was nothing he could do about it before. I didn't stick around to hear the rationality of that though.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages