snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Dead Newborn Infant Lies In Gutter Like Trash In China (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dead Newborn Infant Lies In Gutter Like Trash In China
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.taliacarner.com/deadnewborningutter.htm
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 06 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it is a "true" picure, then it certainly is horrific.

I have to admit that, particularly in the very first picture, it actually looks like a child's dolly laid in the gutter.

It doesn't actually look "real" to me.

Maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

I hope to NFBSK that it is only a doll, and not a real baby.

Talk

edited to add..
I understood that the only punishment for having more than the permitted single child, was that the parents lost out on the state benefits/ perks such as free healthcare and education for children, which is given as an incentive for only having the one child.

AND- just as an afterthought:- what happens if the expectant mother has only the one permitted pregnancy, but happens to be carrying twins or triplets, say?

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That is such bull poop. If the pictures were real then that would mean that the photographer watched the child die.

RD

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually, not bull poop.

The woman was a freelance snapper in China, as I remember and took pictures . The baby was dead when she got there.

It hit all the UK nationals a couple of years ago. In the end an old man picked up the baby girl and put her in a shoebox then in a bin.

It's very sad indeed, but completely true as far as I know.

EDITED TO ADD: I guess I've just opened myself up to all kinds of 'how do you know its true' type comments but the British press do not print photographs like that unless they are verified (Unless its the Daily Star etc) and wouldn't have done so if there was any doubt of their validity. I'm in the business myself.

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Do a gogle on China one child policy and see what you come up with.
This site has some links to articles about the policy.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I took some photographs, because it was so terrible; the police were more worried about my pictures than the baby, she says. The police only released the woman once she handed over her film.
[I thought I posted this once; here it is again]

If they took her film, how did the photos get published?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68

Icon 06 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
looks like a doll.
i hope it is.

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Abblie

Icon 06 posted            Edit/Delete post 
When my daughter was in daycare a few years back, one her best friends was a little Chinese girl named Kayla. I met her mother at a school function and she told me she went to China to adopt Kayla when she (Kayla, not the mom!) was nine months old. The baby had been wrapped in rags and abandoned, left on top of a garbage can on the street corner. I see now that she was one of the fortunate ones.
dahdoll
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for dahdoll   Author's Homepage   E-mail dahdoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I saw this article in Marie Claire when I was pg with my daughter, no less. I only hope this was an attempt at sensational journalism and the pic is a fake! [Frown]

--------------------
"A bad acid trip does not a religion make" A friend commenting on another friend's religious charisma after a bad trip

Posts: 232 | From: NW Florida Home of the Airbrushed T-Shirts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 02 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I wish this pic (and story) was fake

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know whether to cry [Frown] , vomit, or fly into a rage [flame] . The world is in a sorry state... it's going to Hell in a handbasket... and sadly, it will continue to deteriorate. It is written. Babies and children aren't safe, even in the womb. The end is coming.

ETA: Again, I explained this in the Safe Haven thread in Politics & Society Chat... I am referring to the end times prophecies in the Bible, and make no apologies about it. I have nothing against any of you... I just see it now... with all the horrendous atrocities we've been seeing recently...

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elfant

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crackrzz:
... I just see it now... with all the horrendous atrocities we've been seeing recently...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I am curious what makes any recent events more horrifying than horrendous events throughout history? Hiroshima, witch burnings, the Pol Pot regime, medieval tortures, Pearl Harbor, slavery, the holocaust?
Crackrzz

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elfant:
quote:
... I just see it now... with all the horrendous atrocities we've been seeing recently...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I am curious what makes any recent events more horrifying than horrendous events throughout history? Hiroshima, witch burnings, the Pol Pot regime, medieval tortures, Pearl Harbor, slavery, the holocaust?
Because something different is happening every day that is extremely bizzare, a man shooting a two year old, a man who kills an elderly woman just for looking at him... you know?

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elfant

quote:
Because something different is happening every day that is extremely bizzare, a man shooting a two year old, a man who kills an elderly woman just for looking at him... you know?

You must have a very rose coloured view of the history of the world.

It is true that we now are more aware of things happening in other parts of the world than we were even 25 years ago, but that doesn't mean that every day in the history of this world, something truly rotten hasn't happened. It's not nice to think about that, but I like to think about how much better we've gotten, and realize that we've learned from our mistakes.

Crackrzz

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmmm... you do have a good point. I just get very emotional when it comes to this kind of atrocity, as you can imagine...

BTW nice avatar. [Smile]

--------------------

reprise

Is the US really so isolated from reality that people don't believe than newborns are dumped and left to die elsewhere on this planet? Would you like me to list the countries on this planet in which female newborns - in particular - are abandoned at birth or killed at birth? Do you REALLY want to know the projected statistics on just how many female babies are "euthanised" each day on this planet, just because they are FEMALE?

We would all like to think that the whole planet lives under First World conditions. They do not. The majority of women who give birth in this world give birth to children who will never be raised to adulthood by their birth mother.

We, in the First World, are not the majority of this planet's population. That we can spend $1 million per missile in preference to feeding and housing these people disgusts me. If we must flex our very expensive balls at another nation in order to justify our defence budget, then can't we flex them at an equal?

The whole world has become a Nintendo game, and I refuse to play any more. Contempt is actually far too mild a word to describe my feelings in respect of all those US citizens who didn't vote, and in respect of all those who voted but did nothing to stop Bush making this decision on your behalf.

I'm stunned, awed, and revolted. But I can assure you that when we get to vote later this year at state level and when we vote federally next year, my first vote will be for dissolving the ANZUS treaty.

Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Bravo! I wish we here in the UK had any sort of voting power over the extent of UK-US relations. For instance, the US 'Star Wars' at Fylingdales is being upgraded. This is supposed to look for enemy nuke missiles coming the US's way. From where are these missiles supposed to be launched? None of the Axis of Evil countries have the kind of missile capability to send nukes flying over Europe to the US. And if a nuke war did start, what would be the first places to be hit? Yup, missile detection bases - wherever they are.
I tell you, Bush is scaring us.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was very pleased to see the post a few above - China is certainly not the only society to kill female newborns.

In Milton Keynes Hospital, they will not tell you the sex of your unborn child and I believe this is the case across many UK hospitals.

This is because there have been cases of certain families in the UK aborting a child when they know it is female.

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 501 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
From where are these missiles supposed to be launched? None of the Axis of Evil countries have the kind of missile capability to send nukes flying over Europe to the US. And if a nuke war did start, what would be the first places to be hit? Yup, missile detection bases - wherever they are.

Missiles could be launched from subs.

article
Wanna buy a sub?

This was only a quick google search. I would wager that a more detailed search would find better and more realistic means of obtaining one. Especially if you had the resources of a government backing you.

Is it possible for a small nation to purchase a sub and launch a missile? I would say yes. Is it realistic? I hope not, But I would have said the same thing about terrorists crashing planes into the WTC & Pentagon if you'd asked me on sept. 10, 2001.
Personally, I beleive that is the US suffers a Nuke attack, it will smuggled in a way similar to the novel The Sum of All Fears (the book was excellent, but the movie sucked).

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This thread makes me very sad. [Frown]

I just wish there was something I could do to keep it from happening. Something I could do to make this world a kinder, more peaceful place.

Please help me.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 01 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You can help in your own little corner of the world. Become one of a "Million Points of Light" in your own community.

RD

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So how am I supposed to help locally?

And what if I want to help people in other countries?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
PC, look in your yellow pages under "Charities" (or "social and human services organizations). There are probably hundreds of organizations in Broward County that would love to have you.

Sometimes it's not up to us to help people in other countries, as much as we'd like to. I know a guy who makes prosthetic limbs. He travelled to Vietnam to help amputees there. It was a wonderful, generous thing to do, but not everyone has such a gift to give.

You could donate cash and hope most of it gets to the people who need it. But that's not always a sure bet. Give of yourself to the people in your community. You are needed, and will be appreciated.

Could you travel to China and adopt all the babies who weren't allowed to be born? It would be like trying to stop a wave from reaching the shore. There's nothing you or I could do to save these babies. China has to change its policies.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks Spam, but the need is so much greater in the rest of the world than it is here.

And how does one get a nation to change its policies?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------

RangerDog

Well said Spam..That's what I wanted to say.

RD

--------------------

dofwai

quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So how am I supposed to help locally?

And what if I want to help people in other countries?

- Pseudo_Croat

Locally:

Volunteer at a shelter for the homeless.
Volunteer to work for Habitat for Humanity.
Give food and/or money to your local food pantry.
etc, etc...

Globally:

Give money to registered charities, like the Red Cross or UNICEF.
Volunteer to work for said charities; if you're really serious, join the Peace Corps and go there.

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
...And how does one get a nation to change its policies?

How, indeed.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 07 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Well, he's scaring the bejeesus out of plenty of us, too!

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
Could you travel to China and adopt all the babies who weren't allowed to be born? It would be like trying to stop a wave from reaching the shore. There's nothing you or I could do to save these babies.

There's nothing you could do about abortion in China, but there are plenty of unwanted babies to adopt. Anyone who wanted to help and had some cash could always start with the babies that are already born and waiting in orphanages rather than worrying about the ones who weren't born.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
turtlepoop747

quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
quote:

Well, he's scaring the bejeesus out of plenty of us, too!

tag

Thanks for saying that. You read my mind!
Guess what everyone, we didn't all vote for Bush, in fact, he won but an extremely thin margin.
Also, no, we are not all so sheltered that we have never heard of these types of autrocities. If you remember correctly, we have had some horrors of our own.
I've found that it isn't all that easy being an American lately. People act as though we have it all and just don't know it. Well, surprise. We have people living in the streets here, we have children who go home to an empty house because their parents can't afford a sitter. We have children abandodned in the streets. We have people who are starving, and dying.
We also have a goverment that would love it if none of you overseas heard about it.
Hey, I didn't vote for the joker, and I disagree with about 90% of what he says. All I can do is go out to vote in '04 and hope for the best.

anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 217 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Don't blame me, I didn't vote!

Tree "Sarcasm duly noted, but statement above is, actually, true, and for a perfectly legitimate reason, too" Hugger

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
This thread makes me very sad. [Frown]

I just wish there was something I could do to keep it from happening. Something I could do to make this world a kinder, more peaceful place.

Please help me.

- Pseudo_Croat

I know exactly how you feel. [Frown]

--------------------

odaiwai

quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
China has to change its policies.

It's not the policy which is the problem. The policy is about lowering the birth rate voluntarily for a few generations by only having one child. This is happening all over Europe now -- people are having only one child voluntarily.

The problem is the people who insist that their one child must be a son, and that daughters don't count. The problem is the superstitious people who believe that their ancestors will hate a firstborn daughter.

I had one boss who decided that I was not much of a man because my first born was a girl.

Some of my inlaws are like this. I wanted to take a baseball bat to one relative who has refused to see either of his son's children because they're girls.

This whole 'one child policy' is very poorly enforced anyway. My wife is from a family of six and her brother has four kids and still lives in China.

dave

Ben Goodridge

I don't get it, guys. This one is tripping ALL my bullNFBSK alarms. What's with the heartfelt outpouring of sympathy?

Maybe I'm just not very good at analyzing these photos, and I might just be seeing mirages, but I would swear that that "newborn baby girl" has a full head of hair with a bow in it.

That aside, I'm equally surprised that no one else has noticed how well this site is programmed to push every button that we've all become so familiar with. It's rather lavishly racist. It lumps Chinese PEOPLE together with a Chinese GOVERNMENT policy ("See all these heartless inhuman monsters completely ignoring this infant corpse! Their cruelty is a direct result of the introduction of such-and-so policy...) The writer of the piece hopes you'll be too outraged to notice the plethora of typos sprinkled throughout the work. (Woman's a professional writer, too.)

There isn't much else on the site--it's author is a committed child advocate, and she did attend the Internation Women's Conference in Beijing in 1995, which certainly makes her a higher authority than me on the state of human rights in China.

I have too many doubts about the picture, which is quite sad, because if it IS a cock-up, it damages the author's credibility tremendously. I'm quite certain there are enough horror stories about China's young and impoverished without having to invent things.

I wouldn't mind knowing where this woman stands on the abortion issue, actually. There are many stories like this in circulation about the horrific results of China's one-birth policy, and they all seem to come from the pro-life lobby...

Elfant

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post 
What plethora of typos? I only saw 2, which could have been a result of transferring the written piece onto the website, and may not have been done by the author herself.
Just curious.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages