snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Company Says Clerk Urinated Into Soda

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Company Says Clerk Urinated Into Soda
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
A convenience store worker has admitted urinating into a soda bottle, causing a customer who drank from it to become violently ill.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050914/D8CK9PLO2.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The article doesn't really specify what kind of bottle the mountain dew was in. Can, plastic, bottle??

I think I'd start to be a little suspicious after noticing the can or bottle had already been opened...the only one I could think of that closes unoticeably, would be glass bottles, but have those ever been made for mountain dew? Not to mention the lack of carbonation the soda must of had.

It seems that the man must have had thousands of warning lights going on while he was drinking the soda. It's not to say the worker shouldn't be made to also drink a can or urination though.

Hmmmm, mountain dew and pee...I can't tell the difference. [fish] Had to throw that in.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Just out of curiosity, I don't doubt the story, but would drinking urine (even someone else's) really make you violently ill? I understand the psychological aspect might make you throw up, but is there anything in urine that would physically make your body vomit, assuming the person didn't have any kind of illness?

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by A rubber chicken, sans pully:
Just out of curiosity, I don't doubt the story, but would drinking urine (even someone else's) really make you violently ill? I understand the psychological aspect might make you throw up, but is there anything in urine that would physically make your body vomit, assuming the person didn't have any kind of illness?

Healthy urine is actually pretty sterile. If you didn't know it was there and didn't taste it, it probably wouldn't affect you at all.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't stomp to paste anyone I caught pissing in someone else's food. That's the psychological part of it. Even though it's more or less clean, it's gross and wrong.

Wonko "might need a breath mint, though" the Sane

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post 
Something's up with this. I got that same feeling with this one as I did with Chili Finger Girl in California. [In Homer Simpson like voice: Mmmmm. Finger chili and piss soda (drooling sounds)]

We also don't have enough info like did the clerk intend to target the construction guy or was it just random? I think those two are in cahoots and the clerk is just willing to take the fall and maybe get a bigger cut of the settlement from the inevitable lawsuit.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WonkoTheSane:
Healthy urine is actually pretty sterile. If you didn't know it was there and didn't taste it, it probably wouldn't affect you at all.Wonko "might need a breath mint, though" the Sane

It's important not to misinterpret the term "sterile". Chlorine bleach and concentrated acid are other liquids which could be so described. Urine is a waste product containing all the things that a healthy body has elected to expel. Would it make a person violently ill? Yeah, probably. I mean he should feel like puking after drinking something that tastes like piss!

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Urine is sterile to the person who it came from, it can still contain bugs that the person was immune to but others may not be.

I'd imagine most people would know they're drinking urine and the reaction for a large portion of people would be instant heavy vomiting.

If you removed the plastic ring that sealed the bottle and screwed the cap back on tight,assuming there was enough soda to let out a *hiss* when it was opened again, lots of people wouldn't think twice about drinking it

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The National Institue of Health says
quote:
Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products, but it is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brendaal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brendaal   E-mail brendaal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was under the understanding that in the absense of clean water, one can drink their own urine to maintain hydration.
And I have heard that Mike Patton, a musician and total freak (hes my hero LOL) has been known to drink his own urine on stage. Pissing into a water bottle and drinking it in front of the audience.

Posts: 48 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products, but it is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi

Yes, it is technically sterile. Sterility says nothing about whether a substance is toxic or aesthetically disgusting.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by brendaal:
I was under the understanding that in the absense of clean water, one can drink their own urine to maintain hydration.
And I have heard that Mike Patton, a musician and total freak (hes my hero LOL) has been known to drink his own urine on stage. Pissing into a water bottle and drinking it in front of the audience.

If you were thirsty enough to drink your own urine, it would contain so little water that the high salt content would make you even worse off
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Those fine folks at rotten.com have a whole page on drinking pee.

ETA: While the article is ok, there is a NFBSK cartoon on the page.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosbrugger
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Moosbrugger   E-mail Moosbrugger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Right up there with choking down roasted human flesh, pee drinking makes the top ten list of things most people would only do if forced by extreme circumstances.
Personally, if I had to do one or the other, I'd rather drink my own urine than eat my own feces, but that's just me...

--------------------
“If mankind could dream collectively, it would dream Moosbrugger.” -Robert Musil

Posts: 21 | From: Pasadena, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:

Yes it is sterile, it says nothing though, about when it hits the air. It was my understanding that urine is only sterile when inside the body. After leaving, it connects with millions of bacteria around the pubic area alone. I'm not up to date on my "cleanliness of urine" though, so I may be wrong.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by melliferous muffin:
Yes it is sterile, it says nothing though, about when it hits the air. It was my understanding that urine is only sterile when inside the body. After leaving, it connects with millions of bacteria around the pubic area alone. I'm not up to date on my "cleanliness of urine" though, so I may be wrong.

Drinking pee shouldn't be a problem then for anyone willing engage in oral sex. Same risk.

--------------------

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages