snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Green 7UP bottle on B&W TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Green 7UP bottle on B&W TV
Conrad1776
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I've heard a story from my parents that once, a long time ago (before color television) there was a 7UP ad on TV where the 7UP bottle appeared to be green, even though color TV hadn't been invented yet.

Could this story be true?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's possible this is some form of collective memory.

I remember hearing somewhere that people vividly recall and describe the "red blood" flowing down the shower drain in Psycho.

If the image of a 7-Up bottle was promenently used in a commercial people might of associated it with the color green strong enough to "remember" it that way.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post 
I remember when 7up did a commercial in which everything was in B&W except the bottle was in color, kinda like Pleasantville. It would've still looked B&W on a B&W TV, though.
Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BrainDamage:
I remember when 7up did a commercial in which everything was in B&W except the bottle was in color, kinda like Pleasantville. It would've still looked B&W on a B&W TV, though.

Right -- it was for Cherry 7-Up. The drink was pink, the cherry in the glass was red, everything else was B&W. I think that there were male and female versions of the commercial, in which one article of clothing was pink on the respective actor/actress.

Can you still hear the jingle?

"Isn't it cool.... in pink? Isn't it cool... to drink?"

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages