snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Blue Kool-Aid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue Kool-Aid
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Here's an interesting article at this site.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/kool-aid/reviews/berry_blue/index.php

Rumors tell of a kool-aid recall of berry blue kool-aid because it was
blue and therefore people were worried it might encourage children to
drink other blue things like window cleaner, anti freeze, windshield wiper
fluid, and other things that were made blue so you will never mistake it
for a drink. Can you dig up the real reason this flavor was pulled off the
shelves? Was it ever really pulled at all? Did any kids really get
poisoned?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
After a bit of googling, I came up with [url= http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:spBoBp3bcKQJ:www.homeburrough.com/archives/daily_life/+%22berry+blue+kool-aid%22+%22recall%22&hl=en]this[/url] site that seems to mention that it wasn't discontinued, but that it's just subject to being sold regionally.

ETA: Oops, fixed the information but still can't get this stupid url tag to work properly. Guess it doesn't work that well for googles cache?? Anyway, it's all there.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If this is true, then why haven't other blue beverages been recalled for the same reson? Why just Kool-Aid?

- Pseudo "oh no!" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jstrow
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I heard it was discontinued so as to not encourage kids to drink another deathly horrible blue liquid, called Pepsi Blue...

*SHUDDER*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
If this is true, then why haven't other blue beverages been recalled for the same reson? Why just Kool-Aid?

- Pseudo "oh no!" Croat

I think the whole reason why it was just Kool-Aid, (although I'm probably way off) was that it was really just the first blue drink to look so much like actual windshield fluid. Just a theory though.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

This seems like a leg-pull to me. There are all kinds of gross candies/drinks meant for kids (candy that looks like boogers, paint, dirt, candy bubbles etc) that you wouldn't want your kid ACTUALLY eating. kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

Kool Aid had a whole line of flavors in the late 80's/early 90's that were not named after fruits. They were not named after anything. Pink Swimmingo, Great Bluedini, I recall something green, etc. Berry Blue was kind of the beginning of these flavors despite the fact it was ostensibly supposed to be berry flavored. Kool-Aid doesn't sell any of these flavors anymore, and what they do sell are all fruit or tea flavors that have a "natural" counterpart. I can't remember last time I went to Whole Foods and bought a bottle of organic Pink Swimmingo.

Ditto on the Pepsi Blue. had one sip and that was my last. Yeccch!

Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know about everywhere else, but I still get 2 or 3 different kinds of Blue Kool-Aid here. One is a Cherry Surprise Twist kind of thing, and the other (which actually rocks) is Ice Blue Mountain. (That may be wrong, but it's certainly blue)

I do remember when the Berry Blue came out, it sat for a week in the fridge because we all thought it was plant food. It was the exact same color as the food my mom fed to her African Violets.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A gf of mine from my college days really got into berry blue Kool-Aide. I hadn't realized it was no more.

She also got into Tang, mixed about 1 part water to 1 part powder. Eeew...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Um... I have four packets of Berry Blue Kool-aide in my cabinet right now. Purchased on August 1 (payday).

Weird.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh man, I'm jealous, I want Berry Blue too! Sometimes the other blue flavors are the same as Berry Blue, just named differently. It depends on the marketing at the time.

Berry blue was one of my favorites, as was Mountain Berry Punch. Now they have something similar called Cherry Berry Mountain Blast or something like that.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InsAnnity

We can still buy Berry Blue here, too. But I'm and old school type of Kool-Aid drinker, preferring Orange, Grape and Black Cherry, in that order.
Slightly OT, my fiance raged drunkenly last night about Kool-Aid making a blue Fruit Punch. (Kool-Aid Koolers only) He seemed to disagree on the basis that Fruit Punch has always been red, and that Kool-Aid had somehow been sacreligous in changing that fact.
Back on topic though, if Kool-Aid were discontinuing Berry Blue to keep kids safe, why would they make a blue Fruit Punch? And why not discontinue all blue flavors? Berry Blue is not the only one that resembles washer fluid.
And when did parents start keeping the washer fluid and antifreeze in the fridge next to the Kool-Aid anyway?

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages