snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Pull-tab can lids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pull-tab can lids
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
In our part of the world, at least, most types of canned food --everything from Chef Boyardee to Campbell's Soup to cat food -- come in cans with convenient pull-tab lids. Tuna, however -- whether it be the human or the feline variety -- is still sold only in cans that require the use of can openers. Why? Is there something about the manufacture or storage of canned (tuna) fish that makes the use of pull-tab lids impractical?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's just your part of the world. I buy tuna with pull-tab lids all the time.

It might be the can size. The ones I buy are considered (by everyone except me) "single-serving."

Seaboe

ET fix grammar & punctuation.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Yeah...I've seen pull tab tuna cans, too.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

I've seen both pull-tab tuna (and also the small cans of chicken and devilled ham) cans and also tuna that comes in a foil pouch which you tear the top off of.
Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Chicken of the Sea sells the individual packs with pull tabs all the time.
Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
StarKist Flavor Fresh Pouch® Tuna (Chunk Light or Albacore)

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
In our part of the world, at least, most types of canned food --everything from Chef Boyardee to Campbell's Soup to cat food -- come in cans with convenient pull-tab lids. Tuna, however -- whether it be the human or the feline variety -- is still sold only in cans that require the use of can openers.

False. Tomorrow I'll post here pictures of tuna with pull-tab lids.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:

The cat food my sister gets has pull tabs...I think the picture of the FREAKING CAT helps me not to eat cat food.
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What's "feline tuna"? If by that you mean cat food, then I've seen that with pull tabs in all flavors.

If it's something else, I've never heard of it.

Henry

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I generally find here that small tuna cans (single-serve size) have ring-pulls, whereas for the larger cans it seems to vary by brand - some have ring-pulls and others don't. Ditto for cat food - our cat gets her food in single-serve ring-pull tins.

But one thing I've noticed is that one brand of tuna comes in little aluminium ring-pull tins that are identical to the tins used for madam's cat food. Although they're easily distinguished by the labelling - and the smell of the contents!

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages