snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Dangerous mushrooms turn green in silver solution?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dangerous mushrooms turn green in silver solution?
0b1knob
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0b1knob   E-mail 0b1knob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not endorsing this idea, just asking information about it. Several mushroom hunters have repeated a story that if you place mushrooms in a tray with water and a silver coin (a silver dollar is the usual choice) overnight the dangerous toadstools will turn green while the edible ones will not.

This seems very implausible to me but I've heard the story many times.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd be really leary of this.

If nothing else, where are they getting the 'silver' coin, and how do they know it's really silver?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That's an interesting variant of the usual "cook mushooms with silver and the posionous ones turn the silver back"
Califorina Poison Action LIne
quote:
FACT: There are no non-scientific tests or rules that can accurately determine the safety or toxicity of a mushroom. Using the following "rules" could prove to be a deadly mistake! FICTION: A mushroom is considered poisonous if:
The mushroom stains when bruised
The mushroom secretes a milky sap
The mushroom turns garlic blue or black when cooked together
The mushroom turns a silver coin black when rubbed against it
The mushroom tarnishes a silver spoon when cooked with it
The mushroom has scales, warts or other types of rough surfaces

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom Accuosti
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Accuosti   E-mail Tom Accuosti   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Old-time Italian comedian Pat Cooper had a routine on this. He claimed that his father would tell him to toss a quarter into the pot, and if it turned black, then the fungi were poisonous. "The water would turn black. My father would eat the mushrooms, drink the water, and then put the quarter back into his pocket!"

That routine probably dates back to the late 60's or early 70's.

--------------------
"They told me that I was getting a sweater for my birthday.
Too bad, I was hoping for a screamer or a moaner..."

Posts: 43 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Over the year I have had a couple of friends that were mushroom hunters. One thing I learned was that mushrooms can produce many types of toxins. I sure that some of them will turn silver green while other will not.

A general statment that all mushrooms will turn silver green is most likely untrue. It is my guess that a few of the more popular vireties it is true and one of the test for poisons, but not all.

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As a moderately experienced mushroom hunter I can confidently say that there are no known mushroom toxins which can be identified in this way.

Sometimes rubbing with certain salts may be used as a way to identify certain species (like some of the very numerous Russula spp.) but never for toxidity.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So, I have to ask. How do you RELIABLY identify non-poisonous mushrooms?

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin2020:
So, I have to ask. How do you RELIABLY identify non-poisonous mushrooms?

They study what everything about the perticular mushroom they are looking for. This will cover looks and test as to see if it is the right one, also when and were it growns. If a mushroom looks right and passes any test there maybe it may still fail do to the fact you found it in the spring in the rocks and not in the fall under mossy tree. They then go out hunting this one perticular type of mushroom with a experanced huter for this type to make sure they got it right.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Simply put you not only have to know how it looks but also what possible poisonous lookalikes there are. Then you note the essential differences -- which can be quite subtle.

There are no tests other than identifying the right mushroom, and if in doubt, just let it stand (or take it with you for identification, but in those cases I never eat it the first few times, only after I am confident I identified the species correctly a number of times).

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages