snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Honey never spoils (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Honey never spoils
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ok, I'm coming at this again with a dictionary. To spoil can mean To impair the value or quality of; damage. Or To impair the completeness, perfection of. Or To become tainted or rotten, decay.

I think most people will agree that both crystalization and fermentation impair the honey's quality and value. I think containing botulism spores would impair the perfection and qualify it as being tainted. So I'm going to say Yes, it can be spoiled on a number of different levels.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here is a link that might help out.

Most commercial honey is pasturized to kill naturally occuring yeast that might cause the honey to ferment. This pasturization isn't high enough to kill botulism spores. However, bacteria cannot grow in honey. So the spores may be present but they won't produce the toxins that could cause botulism poisoning. The spores could be fatal to infants under 1, therefore honey should not be fed to babies. Over 1 years old, we have bacteria in our intestines that kill the botulism spores before they can produce bad toxins.

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
About the first almost-chow of three, has anyone ever confirmed whether this story is true, that "Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible" ? There are a lot of Egyptian archeology stories that disintegrate when exposed to light.

(Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.)

mage: I agree; unwanted fermentation can definitely be called spoilage.

ETA: Wikipedia lost its "edible Egyptian honey" paragraph for the reasons given on this page.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages